Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "DJ edit" additions... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 January 2005 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

It's possible the Richard Marx "Satisfied" had more than one pressing with different versions. I know there were two different cassette singles for Mariah Carey's "Someday" -- one with the LP version, and one with the 4:40 "New 7" Jackswing" mix. No indication of a difference on the sleeve -- both had exactly the same catalog number and the exact same B-side.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2005 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

edtop40:

Thanks very much for your clarifications regarding the Don Henley "Heart of the Matter" and Snap "Ooops Up!" entries. Like Pat D., I strive to be as accurate as possible with the information I post so I invite and encourage all board readers to jump in at any time and point out any errors or inaccuracies, even if they're small or minor.

By the way, it's great to be back on the board for the first time in over a month! I was very busy throughout the month of December with work, personal life, and the holidays. I now look forward to continuing to post more promo single info. In fact, I have a dozen new singles to report, so let's get right to it!...
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2005 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

SNOW - GIRL I'VE BEEN HURT (EastWest PRCD 5139)
1) Pop Radio Edit - 3:28
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (3:28); commercial copies were all (4:01)

SOUL ASYLUM - MISERY (Columbia CSK 7080)
1) edit - 3:58
2) album - 4:23
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (3:58) and (4:23); commercial copies were all (4:23)

SOULDECISION featuring THRUST - FADED (MCA 25010-2)
1) Radio Version - 3:29
2) No Rap Edit - 2:49
Comments: DJ and commercial copies of this single list the artist only as "soulDecision".
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single feature a "no rap" edit which runs (2:49) and a version with rap running (3:29); commercial copies were all (3:29) and include the rap; the radio version with rap, all commercial single copies, and some album pressings contain the lyric "I'm gonna take off all your clothes", while the "no rap" radio edit and other album pressings contain the cleaner alternate lyric "I'm gonna move in nice and close"

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - SECRET GARDEN
Comments: When "Secret Garden" was first released in 1995, the LP version was featured on all DJ and commercial single copies. The single was pretty much a chart flop. Two years later, a disc jockey at radio station KKRZ-FM in Portland created a new version of "Secret Garden" by adding bits of dialog from the movie Jerry Maguire throughout the song. This mix was circulated to other radio stations across the country and ultimately became a big Top 40 radio success. It's not clear if this "Jerry Maguire Mix" ever became an official radio promo release, but it does appear on my Promo Only: Mainstream Radio subscription series (run time is 4:26). The "Jerry Maguire Mix" has never been made commercially available on CD.    
My conclusion: in 1995, this song was released on all DJ and commercial single copies in its LP version form but failed to crack a major Top 40 chart; a different version surfaced on Top 40 radio stations in 1997 where dialogue from the movie Jerry Maguire was interspersed throughout the song - this 1997 version is considered the true hit single version but has never appeared on a commercial compact disc release

SPICE GIRLS - GOODBYE (Virgin DPRO-13653)
1) Radio Edit - 4:12
2) Single Version - 4:44
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:12) and (4:44); commercial copies were all (4:44)

SUBWAY - THIS LIL' GAME WE PLAY (Biv Ten 374631244-2)
1) Pop Edit - 4:04
2) LP Version - 4:52
3) Radio Edit - 4:04
4) Instrumental - 4:59
Comments: The only difference between the Pop Edit and Radio Edit is the Radio Edit contains crooning vocals and spoken dialog during the :15 introduction, while the Pop Edit does not.
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single contains a "pop edit" and "radio edit" which both run (4:04), not (4:10) as listed on the label, and the commercial version which runs (4:52); commercial copies were all (4:52)

TEARS FOR FEARS - SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE (Fontana CDP 119)
1) Full Version - 6:47
2) U.S. Radio Edit - 4:02
Comments: The Full Version is not the same as the LP version, which runs 6:15.
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:02) and (6:47); commercial copies were all (5:42)

TEARS FOR FEARS - WOMAN IN CHAINS (Fontana CDP 163)
1) Edit - 4:42
2) Single Version - 5:27
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:42) and (5:27); commercial copies were all (5:27)

TEARS FOR FEARS - BREAK IT DOWN AGAIN (Fontana CDP 953)
1) Edit - 3:51
2) LP Version - 4:31
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (3:51) and (4:31); commercial copies were all (4:30)

TONY TERRY - WITH YOU (Epic ESK 4073)
1) Radio Edit #1 - 3:57
2) Radio Edit #2 - 4:13
3) Album Version - 5:04
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (3:57), (4:13), and (5:04); commercial copies were all (5:04)

TESLA - SIGNS (Geffen PRO-CD-4178)
1) clean version - 3:09
Comments: Every CD appearance of this song to date is the LP version.
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (3:09), not (3:15) as the label states; DJ and commercial single copies substitute the word "little" for the F-word at the 2:27 mark; the LP version is not censored

TQ - WESTSIDE (Clockwork/Epic ESK 41248)
1) Radio Version - 3:52
2) Instrumental - 5:07
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single contain an edit that runs (3:52); commercial copies were all (5:02)

To be continued...

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 January 2005 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Todd, I just wanted to reply to a few of your recent posts. First, with regard to Snow "Girl I've Been Hurt", Whitburn lists the 45 version as running 3:53 and you are stating 4:01, so what gives here?

With regard to Souldecision "Faded", the Billboard chart which I have, listed the artist as Souldecision featuring Thrust but both your dj and commercial copies do not list Thrust?

Regarding an item you did not mention, Snow "Informer" --I have a dj copy that states "edit without the rap" running 3:37, so do you have either a dj or commercial single with the rap, since Whitburn lists the 45 time as (4:05)?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 January 2005 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I have a DJ CD single of "Informer" (Eastwest Records America PRCD 4830-2) that has:

1. Edit (4:04)
2. Drum Mix Edit (4:07)
3. Clark's Super Radio Mix (4:12)

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 January 2005 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

attn all.........regarding whitburns' book that has the run times of all songs......please note.......many, 50% or so of the cassingles run fast.......don't know if it's a manufacturing issue or and age issue (ie: the tape gets warped with age), but many cassingles run fast.......i've personally compared every top 40 song from the 90's that was originally issued on cassingle, versus the cd counterpart and they usually run quicker, thus whitburn would show a shorter run time in his book........between all of us, i think we run a more complete and conclusive site than he does.........let's all keep up the great work........

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 January 2005 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I don't think Whitburn times most of the singles himself, cassette or 45 -- I think he generally lists the running time that's on the label, unless someone corrects him.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2005 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

In a recent e-mail conversation with edtop40, he told me the "Girl I've Been Hurt" cassette single contains the "edit" version, but the label states no running
time. He claims that it runs 4:01. I do not have a copy of the cassette single and I probably should've made this disclaimer in my post (like I usually do), but edtop40's track record is superb and I'll sometimes contact him and go with his information whenever I'm in doubt.

As for whether the CD and promo singles of soulDecision's "Faded" contains a mention of rapper "Thrust" on the sleeve or label, I unfortunately am unable to refer to my copies because they are at my brother's house and he's out of town. I'm pretty positive though that neither the promo or commercial CD copy explicitly mention "Thrust", but I'll be sure to confirm this when I get my singles back.

Also, thanks Brian W. for the info on Snow's "Informer" DJ promo single.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2005 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the commercial cd single by souldecision for the song "faded" does note that the song is "featuring thrust".....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2005 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I got my copies of "Faded" back recently and, upon closer review, they do indeed mention that the song features Thrust. I stand corrected. Thanks for the heads up, guys.

I'd say I have about two more posts worth of DJ edits to go. I'll do my best to post some info later tonight.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 January 2005 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

TYRESE - SWEET LADY (RCA 65735)
1) Top 40 Edit - 4:12
Comments: To my knowledge, there was never a commercial CD or cassette single released for this song. The LP version runs 4:50. Curiously, Joel Whitburn lists the run time at 4:12, which is the same run time as the promo CD single. I'm unable to verify if the radio edit appeared on the 12-inch vinyl single release, but that could be what Whitburn is using as his single run time. If this is the case, then it begs the question: Should the featured song on a commercial 12-inch vinyl single release count as a "45 version" if no CD or cassette single configuration was ever released? Maybe Pat or another reader can determine if the 4:12 version is a radio edit only or if it could be considered the 45 version as well.

UB40 - HERE I AM (COME AND TAKE ME) (Virgin PRCD 3671)
1) Radio Edit - 3:17
2) Crossover 7" - 3:53
3) 12" Mix - 4:32
Comments: The Radio Edit is the version I always remembered being played on Top 40 radio. I can't really recall ever hearing the Crossover 7" or 12" Mix. Since the latter two are both very different mixes, I'll decline considering them official radio edits.
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single contains an edit that runs (3:17); commercial copies were all (4:00)

U2 - DISCOTHEQUE (Island PRCD 7316-2)    
1) Album Version - 5:08
2) Radio Edit - 4:36
Comments: Oh boy, here's another complicated entry. The LP version and the commercial maxi-CD single clocks "Discotheque" at 5:19. But the promo CD single has an "Album Version" running 5:08 and the "Radio Edit" at 4:36. My research indicates that the vinyl 7-inch promo single contains the 5:08 version as well, though I don't have a copy to verify. I also don't have the commercial cassette single, but my sources suggest that "Discotheque" runs 5:08 on it (even though Joel Whitburn lists the run time at 4:57, which I believe is wrong because I've never seen a 4:57 version of this song anywhere). If anyone can help me tie these loose ends, it would be appreciated.   
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (5:08) and (4:36); commercial copies run (5:08?) and (5:19)

LUTHER VANDROSS - HERE AND NOW (Epic ESK 1942)
1) 7" EDIT - 3:55
2) LP VERSION - 5:22
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (3:55) and (5:22); commercial copies were all (5:22)

VERVE - BITTERSWEET SYMPHONY (Virgin DPRO-12727)
1) Radio Edit - 4:16
2) Original Version - 5:57
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:16) and (5:57); commercial copies were all (5:57)

JAMIE WALTERS - HOLD ON
Comments: I have a radio edit of this song which runs 4:01 on one of my Promo Only: Mainstream Radio subscription CDs, but I've had a tough time finding an official promo CD single release for this song. I believe it was released by Atlantic records under catalog #PRCD 5598.

KARYN WHITE - THE WAY I FEEL ABOUT YOU (Warner Bros. PRO-CD-5135)
1) Edit - 4:08
2) Album Version - 4:33
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:08), not (4:00) as the label states, and (4:33); commercial copies were all (4:33)

VANESSA WILLIAMS AND BRIAN MCKNIGHT (Giant PRO-CD-5910)
1) Radio Edit - 4:01
2) Album Version - 4:45
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:01) and (4:45); commercial copies were all (4:44)

WINGER - MILES AWAY (Atlantic PRCD 3566-2)
1) Edit - 3:49
2) LP Version - 4:10
Comments: The radio edit appears on the various artist CD 1990 - #1 Radio Hits - 1994 (JCI 3197). All other domestic CD appearances appear to be the LP version.
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (3:49) and (4:10); commercial copies were all (4:10)

XSCAPE - THE ARMS OF THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU (So So Def CSK4180)
1) Radio Edit - 4:13
2) LP Version - 4:20
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:13) and (4:20); commercial copies were all (4:20)

From the time I first started this message thread, I've picked up five additional promo CD single titles...

MARY J. BLIGE - NOT GON' CRY (Arista ASCD-2957)
1) radio edit - 4:19
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:19); commercial copies were all (4:55)

CANDLEBOX - FAR BEHIND (Maverick PRO-CD-6999-R)
1) Edit - 4:10
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:10); commercial copies were all (4:57)

MEAT LOAF - I'D LIE FOR YOU (AND THAT'S THE TRUTH) (MCA MCA5P-3548)
1) True Detective Edit - 4:50
2) Sweet Movie Edit - 4:19
3) Hot Car Girl Edit - 4:51
4) Undercover Edit - 4:21
5) Album Version - 6:37
Comments: Pay close attention because this can get confusing.... The first four tracks on this promo CD are all edits of the LP version. The True Detective Edit and the Hot Car Girl Edit are nearly identical, as are the Sweet Movie Edit and the Undercover Edit. The only differences between the True Detective Edit and the Hot Car Girl Edit are the latter edit has slightly brighter EQ during the song's softer passages and a slightly longer fade than the former. The same holds true for the Sweet Movie Edit and The Undercover Edit as the latter edit has slightly brighter EQ during the song's softer passages and a slightly longer fade than the former. Other than the one to two seconds discrepency in run times, it would be practically impossible to distinguish the difference between these two sets of edits without syncing them up and doing a real time A-B comparison. Thus, it almost seems like splitting hairs to list all four run times as separate radio edits given that tracks 1 and 3 and tracks 2 and 4 are pretty much identical. Nonetheless, I will list all four edit times separately in my conclusion and leave it up to Pat to decide if he wants to mention them all in future editions of his book.
My conclusion: DJ edits of this single run (4:19), (4:21), (4:50), (4:51), and (6:37); commercial copies were all (6:36)

NIIU - I MISS U (Arista ASCD-2817)
1) Remix Radio Edit - 3:53
2) Remix Album Version - 5:10
3) Spanish Version ("Te Extrano") - 3:53
Comments: The Spanish Version will not be considered a Top 40 radio edit.
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single contains edits that run (3:53) and (5:10); commercial copies were all (3:59)

P.M. DAWN - LOOKING THROUGH PATIENT EYES (Gee Street PRCD 6765-2)
1) RADIO MIX - 4:06
2) ALBUM VERSION - 4:06
3) EXTENDED MIX - 6:18
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single feature a radio remix that runs (4:06); the commercial version which also runs (4:06); and an extended mix running (6:18); DJ copies incorrectly list the commercial version run time at (4:25)

Well, that's all she wrote! This concludes my listing of approximately 127 radio promo CD singles that contain information not found in the 10th edition. I will continue to post updates and info on other promo discs as I come across them.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 February 2005 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Todd, with regard to your question regarding a commercial 45 of Tyrese's "Sweet Lady" I pulled out the old Billboard Top 100 chart which says this was an LP cut so I think the radio edit version you have on cd is exactly that and that there was no commercial vinyl or cassette single.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 February 2005 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Todd, just wondering if your cd single of "I Miss You" really states "I Miss U" as you posted above. The Billboard charts spell out the word "you" and the full length cd spells out "you". Also, I have never been able to figure out if the group name has spaces between the letters (NIIU vs N II U) The spine of the full length cd seems to indicate there are spaces but this is definitely open for interpretation. What does your cd single indicate?

Edited by Moderator on 07 February 2005 at 7:09am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2005 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

You are absolutely right about the correct title being "I Miss You", not "I Miss U". Because the group's name is NIIU, with a "U" and not "You" spelled out, it appears that I subconciously typed the letter "U" to replace "You" in the song title as well by mistake!

As for how the spacing works within the group's name, there doesn't seem to be a consensus among my sources. Joel Whitburn prints the name as "NIIU" in several of his books, but my promo single has it spaced out as "N II U" on the spine. Personally, I think the latter looks more easily readable. Anyone remember how it appeared on the Billboard charts?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2005 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Todd, regarding U2 "Discotheque," my US commercial 2-track CD single (I think you said you have the maxi single) runs 5:08. Doesn't specify a version. It's coupled with "Holy Joe" (Garage Mix - 4:21). So I think it's fairly safe to say the single version runs 5:08.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2005 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I've acquired a few more promo CD singles recently. As always, I'll type out the track listing, actual run times, and my commentary.

3RD BASS - POP GOES THE WEASEL (Def Jam/Columbia CSK 73728)
1) RADIO EDIT - 3:47
2) LP VERSION - 3:52
3) INSTRUMENTAL - 3:57
Comments: The Radio Edit intro and LP version intro is different. I don't have a commercial single copy, so I don't know which version is considered the single version.
Conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (3:47) and (3:52)

RALPH TRESVANT - STONE COLD GENTLEMAN (MCA CD45-1310)
1) Single Edit With Rap - 4:18
2) Single Edit Without Rap - 4:28
3) LP Version - 5:15
Comments: The Single Edit With Rap is the commercial single version.
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:18), (4:28), and (5:15), though the latter time is shown as (5:02) on the label; commercial copies are all (4:18)

HI-FIVE - I CAN'T WAIT ANOTHER MINUTE (Jive JDJ-42012-2)
1) Edit - 4:41
2) No talk edit - 4:41
3) Live version - 5:22
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single contain an "Edit" and a "No talk edit" which both run (4:41), even though the label states a run time of (4:35) for the "Edit" version; commercial copies are all (4:59)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here's a bit of info about "Pop Goes The Weasel." I have the commercial copy, which contains the LP Version (track 1 @ 3:53) and Radio Edit (track 2 @ 3:47). On my single, not only is the intro edited differently, but the chorus has completely different samples. The Radio Edit uses the sample from "Sledgehammer" but the LP Version has something else.

Is this the same as the promo single that you have, Todd? Although I no longer have the full-length CD of "Derelicts Of Dialect," it seems to me that both versions (the LP and Radio Edit) were on the CD and they were the same except that the intro was edited on the Radio Edit. When I picked up this copy of the commercial single, I noticed right away the "LP Version" on there sounded different than I had remembered.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 March 2005 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

The LP Version of "Pop Goes the Weasel" on the promo CD single samples the underlying guitar riff of "Sledgehammer" throughout much of the song just like the Radio Edit. Yet, as you astutely point out, the chorus on the LP Version does indeed feature a different brass section sample than the Radio Edit.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 March 2005 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just listened to the true "LP Version" from the "Derelicts Of Dialect" CD, and as I suspected, it is NOT the same as the LP Version on the commercial single and, as Todd pointed out, the promo single. The LP Version on the full-length CD is exactly the same as the Radio Edit on the singles, EXCEPT the intro has the "Pop Goes The Weasel" harmonica snippet right after the line "let's all sing Pop Goes The Weasel."
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2005 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I have information to report on a few more DJ CD singles:

COOLIO FEATURING 40 THEVZ - C U WHEN U GET THERE (Tommy Boy TBCD 406)
1) RADIO EDIT - 2:56
Comments: The radio edit of this song is an edit of the "Bill & Humberto's Orchestra Mix", which was issued in its full length as the B-side/backup track on all commercial single copies.
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (2:56), not (3:05) as stated on the label; commercial copies are all (5:06)

SHAWN MULLINS - LULLABY (Columbia CSK 41499)
1) Single Version - 4:32
2) Single Edit - 4:13
3) Album Version - 5:28
Comments: This song was only made available as a commercial single on vinyl 45. I don't have a copy so I can't report how long it runs.
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:32), (4:13), and (5:28)

SAVAGE GARDEN - TO THE MOON AND BACK (Columbia CSK 0560)
1) Long edit - 4:32
2) Short edit - 4:13
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:32) and (4:13); commercial copies are all (4:32)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version