Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "DJ edit" additions... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland wrote:
BLACKSTREET – NO DIGGITY
Comments: I have a "rapless" radio edit of this song that runs 3:59 and appears on a mainstream radio CD subscription series made exclusively for DJs, called Promo Only. I have yet to see this version on an actual promotional CD release, but it received a lot of airplay where I live. If anyone can verify whether or not this edit appears on its own promo disc, please feel free to post your comments.

I finally came across a copy of what appears to be a promo CD single release of the 3:59 "rapless" radio edit of BLACKstreet's "No Diggity". It is currently up for auction on eBay. I e-mailed the seller to see if he could tell me the disc's catalog number and he responded as follows:

"To me, this looks like one of the very first cd's they put together as it was not mass produced. It says "copyright 1996 Interscope Records" on it, but the cd label is obviously one that was computer generated. Looks to me like it is an original, probably from their own studio. My son produces cds for local bands and this looks just like the type of thing they put together.....might be collectible???

Hope that helps.
"

Judging by the accompanying photo, this looks like a very generically assembled CD single. If not for the seller's "copyright 1996 Interscope Records" notation, I would be inclined to believe this is just a CD-R copy. Very odd! You can view the promo CD at the following web address:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=471164764 0
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland wrote:
KANE ROBERTS - DOES ANYBODY REALLY FALL IN LOVE ANYMORE? (DGC PRO-CD-4219-2)
1) Edit - 4:05
2) LP Version - 4:23
Comments: I don't have a commercial copy of this single, but Joel Whitburn lists a run time of 4:13 in Pop Annual 1955-1999. This is probably not accurate, so does anyone have a copy they can check?
My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:05) and (4:23), not (3:59) and (4:28) as the label states; commercial copies were all (4:13?)

With much appreciated help from Edtop40, it's been determined that commercial single copies of "Does Anybody Really Fall in Love Anymore?" run 4:21 despite the cassette single sleeve stating "LP version" with a printed run time of 4:28. Thus, the above conclusion can be revised as follows:

My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (4:05) and (4:23), not (3:59) and (4:28) as the label states; commercial copies were all (4:21), not (4:28) as stated on the label.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 July 2005 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Earlier in this thread, Todd posted info about Cinderella - Don't Know What You Got, stating that the promo single and cassette single have an actual running time of (5:21). I have this song from TM's library, and I'm guessing they goofed, because their version has an actual running time of (5:11).

Their version is simply the LP Version with an early fade. So, my question is, does the 45 version contain any edits or is this also an early fade of the LP Version? The book states "version" rather than "length," which leads me to believe there are edits within the song.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 July 2005 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Aaron, here is the comment that will appear in the next edition of the book:

dj copies of this cd single stated times of (4:58) and (5:56) but actually contained only one version which ran (5:18); commercial copies were all (5:18) even though the label incorrectly states (4:58)

And the 45 is just an early fade of the LP so all the appearances to date have been LP length.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 July 2005 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Pat!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 July 2005 at 2:49am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Bell Biv Devoe - Poison - The DJ CD single (MCA 18218) has two versions. Track 1 is the "No Ho Version," which censors the word "ho" in two places in the song; track 2 is the 7" Version, which to my ears sounds exactly like the LP version.

Bell Biv Devoe - Do Me! - The DJ CD single (MCA 18382) has four versions, with the lead track being the "Radio Mentality" version. If my memory serves me right, the video for this song starts off with the intro from the LP version, and then it cuts to an edited version of the "Radio Mentality" mix. (If you remember the video, you'll remember that the song ends with the lyrics "hip hop smoothed out on the r&b tip with a pop feel appeal to it" which is not part of the LP version.) To my knowledge, this promo single is the only appearance of this version on CD. The run time is (5:16). I'm guessing that another promo single was issued for the song, containing the LP version, since that's the mix I remember hearing on the radio.

Wreckx-N-Effect - Rump Shaker - I remember buying the full-length cassette tape after seeing the video (and what a video it was), and I was sorely disappointed that the LP version is far inferior to the mix used on the video. For years, I tried finding a CD with this version, and I finally discovered that it is on the US promo single and several import singles. The mix is called "Teddy 2" and it runs 6:00, although the video faded the song around the 3:40 mark.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 July 2005 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

What are the actual run times for the two tracks on the Bell Biv DeVoe "Poison" promo CD? I know they're based on the 7" version but the times on promo copies don't always match up exactly with the commercial single or album versions.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Actual run time for both tracks on the "Poison" promo single is (4:22), although the printed run time is (4:25) for each track.

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

Care for some oldies (pre-1980s) examples?

All righty then.

BAND ON THE RUN-Wings. This 1974 #1 was in a 3:50 DJ romo. I recall an even SHORTER version though at first, cutting the last several chords (the ones that the lyrics ".....like you-ou-hoo...ma-ma...you-hoo-hoo-hoo..ma-mma-=yooo"..are sung to ) are edited,then straight to the first section ("Stuck inside these 4 wallsa") with the aboivequoted lines, then CUTTING straight to tyhe BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM intro of the song PROPER (nop middle "If ever ever get outta here"..) which I DID stumble on a few weeks later!

Then as it was rising a Pual mcCartney interview finally showcased the 5:13 version (KHJ AM 930/Los Angeles)

1970. Sugarloaf. GREEN EYED LADY. Time: 6:48-cut to 5:58 for the ORIGINAL single while first release,and to a 2:58 promo but to 3:33 when it finally hit (the repetitious near ten chiords opening repeated three times pared down to one,then a few more parts in the slow part of this intro,then a few parts in the intro,also cut down,including a huge chucnk out of the organ then gee-tar solos..then another small slower part then a fade on the 3:33 single)...

Care for another example from 1970? Okay..ARE YOU READY Pacfiic Gas and Elecvtric. 5:51, cut to 2:40 (the slow inro one-time only tune verse, then another chorus and different tuen verse edited and a few more choruses delted>) The album and commercial times are the same. (Interesting. The later releases on Columbia Hall of Fame (tm) list 2:40 but is the FULL FIVE MINUTE FIFTY ONE SECODN VERSION.)

:):)

COME AND GET YOUR LOVE by Redbone form 1973-74. Epic edited parts for the Dj versi9on>There is a longer version too.

And from 1969, 5th Dimension AUAQRIUS/LET THE SUNSHINE from the Broadway Musical, HAIR, 4:49 on the single but edited with the second verse and chorus from AX and a few of LtSI's choruses (nothing else than those chrouses!) edited out. Some different versions, one 3:07 and another 3:55 I think, exist. I always thought that THAT was the HIT version!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 September 2005 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

CHER - HEART OF STONE (Geffen PRO-CD-3989)
1) Remix/Fade - 3:50
2) Remix - 4:09
3) CHR Version - 3:50
4) LP Version - 4:15
CHER - HEART OF STONE (Geffen PRO-CD-3822)
1) CHR Version - 3:50
CHER - HEART OF STONE (Geffen PRO-CD-4005)
1) Heartbeat Version Faded
2) Full Heartbeat Version
Comment: There is a grand total of three promo CDs available for this song. I don't have the disc containing the Heartbeat versions (PRO-CD-4005), which is why there are no run times listed beside those tracks. I believe the 45 version run time is 3:50, but regretably I don't have a commercial single copy to verify which version of the song appears on it. I'll hold off on making a definitive conclusion until I can fill in these gaps of missing info. As always, any and all input is welcome!

I think it is time to revisit Todd's comments above regarding "Heart Of Stone by Cher. First, I don't hear any difference between the CHR mix (3:50) and the LP version so if someone can step up to the plate and point out the differences that would be great. The cassette single which runs (3:50), and to my ears is just an early fade of the LP (4:15), is not the same as the vinyl single which is a remix called the "heartbeat version/faded".

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 September 2005 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

I just now conducted an A/B comparison of the "Heart of Stone" CHR version and LP version on my digital audio software and I agree with your observation that the CHR is just an early fade of the LP.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 November 2005 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Over the past several months, I've acquired some more promo CD singles containing radio edits not noted in the database...

BLESSID UNION OF SOULS - LET ME BE THE ONE (EMI DPRO-19818)
1) Radio version - 3:52
2) Radio version (extended) - 4:03
3) Q102 edit - 3:52
4) Alternative radio version - 3:45
Comments: The Alternative radio version is a remix. The Radio version and Q102 edit are exactly the same except the Q102 edit contains additional background vocal overdubs from the :44 to :57 mark.
My conclusion: DJ CD copies of this single run (3:52), (4:03), and (3:45); commercial copies are all (3:53)

THE BOYS - CRAZY (Motown PRD-90007)
1) Radio edit - 4:02
2) 12" Mix - 6:47
3) Radio mix w/rap - 4:15
4) Dub mix - 5:16
5) Instrumental - 4:00
Comments: Tracks 4 and 5 are both instrumentals and therefore I don't count them as official Top 40 radio edits.
My conclusion: DJ CD copies of this single contain versions running (4:02), (6:47), not (6:07) as stated on the label, and (4:15); commercial copies are all (4:02)

CATHY DENNIS - YOU LIED TO ME (Polydor CDP741)
1) Radio Edit - 3:37
2) Spayed with Edited Attitude - 4:07
3) You Lied to Me - 5:25
Comments: I don't recall ever hearing the "Spayed with Edited Attitude" version on my local Top 40 stations, so I'll leave it up to Pat to decide whether to make a note of this version on the database.
My conclusion: DJ CD copies of this single contain versions running (3:37) and (5:25); commercial copies are all (3:38)

EXPOSE - I WISH THE PHONE WOULD RING (Arista ASCD-2466)
1) SINGLE VERSION - 3:51
2) ALBUM VERSION - 4:06
My conclusion: DJ CD copies of this single run (3:51) and (4:06); commercial copies are all (4:06)

GOO GOO DOLLS - NAME (Warner Bros. PRO-CD-7805-R)
1) Edit - 4:02
My conclusion: DJ CD copies of this single run (4:02); commercial copies are all (4:29)

* Thanks to Edtop40 for assisting me with the commercial single run times.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2006 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

TEVIN CAMPBELL - I'M READY (Qwest/Warner Bros. PRO-CD-6698)
1) Edit - 4:10
2) Album Version - 4:44
My conclusion: DJ CD copies of this single run (4:10) and (4:44); commercial copies run (4:45)

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

PAULA ABDUL - COLD HEARTED (Virgin PRCD2776)
1) Cold Hearted - 3:34 [this is the 45 version]
2) Cold Hearted (remix) - 3:29

I received this today from Esprit in the UK. It's notable for containing a remix I hadn't even known existed.

It's simply called Remix, runs an actual 3:29, and is similar to the single version, but with a more open, less dense-sounding mix and some extra electric guitar overdubs, particularly on the intro. It is not the same remix/edit that was later issued on import CD singles when her "Shut Up and Dance" album came out.

I paid about $27 for it, and it was factory sealed. No PS, just an empty jewel case. The disc is silkscreened with a red pattern.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

aaronk wrote:

Wreckx-N-Effect - Rump Shaker - I remember buying the full-length cassette tape after seeing the video (and what a video it was), and I was sorely disappointed that the LP version is far inferior to the mix used on the video. For years, I tried finding a CD with this version, and I finally discovered that it is on the US promo single and several import singles. The mix is called "Teddy 2" and it runs 6:00, although the video faded the song around the 3:40 mark.

The "Teddy 2" mix of "Rump Shaker" you refer to was indeed released on the commercial vinyl 12" and runs exactly 6:00 as you mentioned. That mix features a sample of The Emotions 1973 single "Blind Alley" which has been sampled a number of times on pop, r&b, and rap hits. Most notably on Mariah Carey's "Dreamlover". MCA also issued a promo only 12"(not sure if they also did on promo CD) that has additional mixes of the song.

This is the track listing for that promo with the catalog number MCA8P 2220.

Side One

Radio Mix 3:56
Teddy 2 6:00
Dub 6:00

Side Two

Radio Remix 4:34
Bonus Beats 5:55
Percapella 3:19

Edited by Jeff H. on 12 May 2006 at 4:49pm
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Good info, Jeff. I recently acquired the promo CD single (MCA 2221), and it has the exact same mixes, but with a slightly different order:

Radio Mix
Radio Remix
Teddy 2
Dub
Bonus Beats
Percapella

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Is the Paula Abdul "Cold Hearted" promo cd an import or US issue?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian W. wrote:
PAULA ABDUL - COLD HEARTED (Virgin PRCD2776)
1) Cold Hearted - 3:34 [this is the 45 version]
2) Cold Hearted (remix) - 3:29

I received this today from Esprit in the UK. It's notable for containing a remix I hadn't even known existed.

It's simply called Remix, runs an actual 3:29, and is similar to the single version, but with a more open, less dense-sounding mix and some extra electric guitar overdubs, particularly on the intro. It is not the same remix/edit that was later issued on import CD singles when her "Shut Up and Dance" album came out.

I paid about $27 for it, and it was factory sealed. No PS, just an empty jewel case. The disc is silkscreened with a red pattern.
Pat: His 2-track acquisition is exactly what I have, and exactly what came into our station in 1989. We played cut #1.

Edited by jimct on 12 May 2006 at 9:23pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Pat Downey wrote:
Is the Paula Abdul "Cold Hearted" promo cd an import or US issue?

It's US.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland wrote:
CHER - HEART OF STONE (Geffen PRO-CD-3989)
1) Remix/Fade - 3:50
2) Remix - 4:09
3) CHR Version - 3:50
4) LP Version - 4:15
CHER - HEART OF STONE (Geffen PRO-CD-3822)
1) CHR Version - 3:50
CHER - HEART OF STONE (Geffen PRO-CD-4005)
1) Heartbeat Version Faded - 4:01
2) Full Heartbeat Version - 4:16

My conclusion: DJ copies of this single run (3:50), (4:01), (4:09), (4:15), and (4:16?); commercial copies were all (4:01)

Pat:

Lately, I notice you've been increasingly adding to the database specific names of versions and edits stated on commercial and DJ single copies. For example, the database now notes for Janet Jackson's "Any Place Any Time" that the cassette single contains the "R. Kelly mix" and runs (5:12). As a reader and collector, I'm finding this to be very helpful information.

That said, I'd like to revisit Cher's "Heart of Stone" because, as indicated by the quoted portion of my previous post above, I noted in perhaps oversimplified fashion that DJ copies run (3:50), (4:01), (4:09), (4:15) and (4:16). But given that these run times each represent a different version and mix, I'm now thinking it would be better to state which specific version of the song each run time represents. Therefore, I was thinking the notes in the database regarding "Heart of Stone" could be revised something like this:

DJ copies of this single run (3:50) the "Remix/Fade"; (3:50) the "CHR Version" (4:01) the "Heartbeat Version Faded"; (4:09) the "Remix"; (4:15) the "LP Version"; and (4:16) the "Full Heartbeat Version"; vinyl 45 commercial copies were all the "Heartbeat" remix running (4:01) while the cassette single was not a remix, just an early fade of the LP and ran (3:50)

For what it's worth, Pat, I hope I'm not coming across to you as pushy or sound like I'm trying to dictate how you should run your database. I share your passion for accuracy and thoroughness regarding Top 40 music and am just simply offering some friendly suggestions that might help make the database as comprehensive as possible for your readers and subscribers.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version