Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: CD mastering flaws/glitches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 July 2005 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - I Love Rock 'N Roll: On the CD Fit to Be Tied - Great Hits By (Blackheart/Mercury 314536440), there is a dropout in the left channel at the :10 mark.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 July 2005 at 2:16am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers - Swing The Mood (Radio Mix): On my DJ CD single, the first few drum beats are cut off, giving it an abrupt and odd start. Does anyone know if it's like this on 45 copies?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 August 2005 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Taylor Dayne - Tell It To My Heart on It's Only Rock & Roll 1985-1989: #1 Radio Hits has a problem with the pitch. By the end of the song, it has slowed down by 2 or 3%. The track is the same way on a compilation called Everything 80's, which was a 2-cd set by Razor & Tie that was only available by mail order. I don't own any other CDs with this song to see whether or not all copies are like this.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 August 2005 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Aaron,

That's interesting about "Tell it to my Heart". Does it slowly down slowly (almost unnoticeably), or does it happen real obviously, like in steps?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 August 2005 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite, it's a gradual slow down that starts at around 1:30 (it's not really noticeable at that point). By 2:30, you can tell it's slowed down a little. By the 3:00, it's sounding obviously slow, and at 3:30 Taylor's voice is deeper than it should be. If you're playing the ending of the song, and then you cue back to the beginning, you'll be able to tell instantly if your copy has a problem.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 August 2005 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Todd Ireland wrote:
By the way, does anyone know if there's a DJ edit of "Rumors" with alternative or edited lyrics? There is a verse in particular on both the 45 and LP version I would consider, shall we say, a bit on the sexually explicit side. I have a hard time believing radio programmers would've allowed it to air, especially back in 1986 when Top 40 radio was much more conservative than it is today. Unfortunately, I don't have a clear recollection of how "Rumors" was presented on Top 40 radio, so does anybody have any insight on this?

Hey Todd, my local Top 40 station and the college station that I worked at had no problems with the "questionable" lyrics.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2005 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
Taylor Dayne - Tell It To My Heart on It's Only Rock & Roll 1985-1989: #1 Radio Hits has a problem with the pitch. By the end of the song, it has slowed down by 2 or 3%. The track is the same way on a compilation called Everything 80's, which was a 2-cd set by Razor & Tie that was only available by mail order. I don't own any other CDs with this song to see whether or not all copies are like this.

Aaron:

I have "Tell It to My Heart" on Taylor Dayne's Greatest Hits CD (Arista 18774) and it sounds fine. The pitch is consistent throughout the entire song. It appears the song was mastered from a bad tape source on the particular CD releases you cite.

Paul Haney wrote:
Todd Ireland wrote:
By the way, does anyone know if there's a DJ edit of "Rumors" with alternative or edited lyrics? There is a verse in particular on both the 45 and LP version I would consider, shall we say, a bit on the sexually explicit side. I have a hard time believing radio programmers would've allowed it to air, especially back in 1986 when Top 40 radio was much more conservative than it is today. Unfortunately, I don't have a clear recollection of how "Rumors" was presented on Top 40 radio, so does anybody have any insight on this?

Hey Todd, my local Top 40 station and the college station that I worked at had no problems with the "questionable" lyrics.

Paul:

Just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm referring to the verse involving "juice". I still have a hard time imagining this ever getting past radio programmers. Then again, maybe I'm the one with a dirty mind!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2005 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Todd:

Yes, we're on the same "juice" page here. The mass comm professor who ran our college radio station was a real stickler for anything offensive and he never said anything about it. I think that it's one of those double-meanings that's just clever enough to skate by the cenors.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

mediaace
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2005 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote mediaace

Todd Ireland wrote:
I believe all CD appearances containing 45 versions of Mama's and Papa's hits, such as "I Saw Her Again", "Words of Love", and "Creeque Alley", are mastered from vinyl. It's been widely reported that the singles master tapes were accidentally erased several decades ago and no longer exist.   

The Mamas & Papas 45 masters for those 3 songs were moved to the mono album master reels for Dunhill D50025, the mono pressing of Farewell to the First Golden Era. The stereo LP (Dunhill DS50025)used the stereo album masters, which are different mixes. During the early 1970s, after ABC had obtained Dot and several other labels, some executive made the decision to junk all the mono album masters, and those 3 single masters went into the trash with the rest of the mono LP masters.

Back to Top View mediaace's Profile Search for other posts by mediaace Visit mediaace's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

True, but mono dubs do exist for at least some of them. For example, Monday Monday and California Dreamin' are both in mono from tape sources on the Roulette's mid-eighties "Original Rock N Roll Hits of the 60s" series, both sounding pretty good, to my ears. It is possible, maybe even likely, that mono cutting masters exist for these songs in other countries.

Edited by Brian W. on 16 September 2005 at 11:01am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Not to change the subject, but isn't there a glitch in both the newly-found 45 and well-established LP version of Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Something?" Almost like a little squeak towards the end of the song. Or was that present on the original vinyl?

Doug
Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

What do you mean by "newly-found 45," Doug? (And welcome to the board.)

Edited by Brian W. on 16 September 2005 at 10:56am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

duplicate post

Edited by Brian W. on 16 September 2005 at 11:00am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers - Swing The Mood (Radio Mix): On my DJ CD single, the first few drum beats are cut off, giving it an abrupt and odd start. Does anyone know if it's like this on 45 copies?

Well, I don't have the 45, Aaron, but I just recently acquired the original Japanese CD3 single. I think the opening drumbeats you're referring to are there, but I'm not sure if it's the Radio Mix... no info about what mix it is. It runs 4:04, with the second track being "Glenn Miller Medley."

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Brian W. wrote:
What do you mean by "newly-found 45," Doug? (And welcome to the board.)

By that I meant that the 45 version was finally made available on a domestic CD recently (or as I called it, newly), as opposed to the LP version which has been available on CD since "Thriller"'s release. Perhaps a poor choice of verbiage on my part. But that's what I meant.

EDIT: Sorry--when I accessed this site last night for the first time the reviews page didn't come up, so I hadn't seen that the version of "Wanna Be Startin' Something" on the Essential CD was not the actual 45 version but an edit of the LP version. My bad.

And thanks for the welcome. I'll get the hang of this one of these days. :)

Doug

Edited by sriv94 on 16 September 2005 at 2:19pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

duplicate post... been on jury duty and working full time...

Edited by Brian W. on 16 September 2005 at 5:48pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

sriv94 wrote:
By that I meant that the 45 version was finally made available on a domestic CD recently (
Doug

ARRGH! See, that's what those schmucks at Sony have done now! Everyone and their mother is now going to think these bogus edits are the single version!!! Even Pat thought they were the single versions when he first reviewed it! (Eventually, Doug, you may stumble across the Michael Jackson threads where we -- mainly ME -- are ranting about this.)

But, yes, NONE of the edits on disc one are the true 45 edits -- they were newly edited for Essential Michael Jackson from the album versions. (Though with Rock With You and Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, they did match the originals satisfactorily.) The other edits on disc one are incorrect mixes.

BTW, I don't think I ever updated everyone that I did hear back from someone involved in "Essential Michael Jackson." (I don't want to say who, as they called me on the phone, said he was calling personally, not in an offical Sony capacity.) Basically this person said that they didn't know who did these new LP edits, but that anything with Michael Jackson's camp involved a million people, and that the most recent remasters of his catalog were designated the default masters to be used in any future release of the material. This person also told me there were several people involved in mastering this CD, not just the engineer listed in the booklet. But they did forward my letter to Sony A&R to let them know there were "mix issues" with the CD.

Edited by Brian W. on 16 September 2005 at 5:08pm

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Brian W. wrote:
ARRGH! See, that's what those schmucks at Sony have done now! Everyone and their mother is now going to think these bogus edits are the single version!!!

And I'm fairly good at catching stuff like that (again, without a turntable I can't do what most of the rest of you can). There are a few more singles that I would like to try to replicate but don't quite know where the exact edit point is on some of them (I'll probably get around to asking about those eventually).

Pat's books have been a godsend for me over the years. It's too bad I didn't stumble onto this site sooner (I got referred by someone on the New York Radio Message Board, which makes perfect sense for someone from Chicago :) ). I had a few conversations with him in the mid-1990s (if it's any help in him trying to place me, again, I'm from suburban Chicago).

Sorry to veer off the point of this thread. And yes, they did a great job with replicating the 45 of "Rock With You" (even downloaded it off of iTunes, thinking it was the actual 45 edit). But I feel your frustration, Brian.

Doug

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Well, as far as I can tell Rock With You IS the 45 edit. There's no difference I can tell... it's just I suspect they created it from the remixed LP length version as well... which doesn't matter in this case, since it does seem to match.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2005 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I think I might have found another mastering glitch. There's a pitch problem on the opening bass line of Tommy James' "Draggin' The Line" on Rhino's Billboard's Top R&R Hits 1971 (it's one half step slow then reverts to the right pitch for the second bass line). The version on Rhino's Have A Nice Day, Volume 5 has the correct pitch from the get go. I seem to recall at least one other CD with that same pitch issue, but it escapes me at this time.

<SOAPBOX> Shame no one has ever saw fit to put the 45 mix on CD. <end/SOAPBOX>

Edited by sriv94 on 08 November 2005 at 9:08am

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version