Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: CD mastering flaws/glitches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 November 2005 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

April Wine - You Could Have Been a Lady: On the Dick Bartley Presents Collector's Essentials: The '70s CD (Varese Sarabande 5706), the song's ending is severely truncated.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Cyndi Lauper "What's Going On" (Long Version)

Never before on CD, this version was included on a Cyndi compilation called "Hey Now (Remixes & Rarities), released earlier this year.

Unfortunately, all through the "What's Going On" track there is a constant loss and gain of treble, at times both channels suffer the problem, and others, the loss of highs fluctuates between channels.

A real shame, it's evident not much effort or attention was put into this project.

Big disappointment, SONY/BMG.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 December 2005 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm not sure if there's a difference between the "long version" and "club version" but I have a Japanese import called Best Remixes that has the "Club Version" of Cyndi's "What's Going On." I'll have to check the run time and see if there's a mastering problem present.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2005 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Hi Aaron!

They are different mixes.

The 12" single has three versions of WGO: Club Version, Long Version and Instrumental.

The Club Version was later released on compact disc on two formats that I can remember right now.

The "Best Remixes" Japan CD you have, and I also have it on the "I Drove All Night" UK picture disc CD single.

The Long Version doesn't have an instrumental intro as the club version does, rather starts very much like the album and 7" mixes, almost acapella.

If anybody's interested, I can send an mp3 file so you see the flaws.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My copy of "Vehicle" by Ides Of March is from TM Century. At (2:50) right before the song ends, there is a tape dropout. Is this present on all stereo versions? There is no indication in the database.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

Todd Ireland wrote:
Herb Alpert - This Guy's in Love with You: On Classics Volume 1 (A&M 2501) and Definitive Hits (A&M 069490886), the recording is very hissy. I'm guessing this is probably also the case with the song's other CD appearances.

I wouldn't consider tape hiss as a bad thing.

Quote:
Van Halen - Finish What Ya Started: On The Best of Both Worlds (Warner 78961), there appears to be some kind of fade-out glitch because the song ends very abruptly in mid-note instead of fading out. (At least, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to fade out... unless the ending is intended to be a comedic nod to the song's title, but I highly doubt it. If so, then the joke is on me!) This CD was released after the 10th edition was published, so it will likely be included in the 11th edition.

From what I recall from a previous ICE Q&A about this, the song was always supposed to end abruptly, but when the original LP/CD/tape was made, they faded it.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Grant wrote:

I agree with you to a point. Excessive tape hiss because someone used a 10th generation master is, in my opinion, undesirable.

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

Using high generation tapes doe not really happen too much. Just have to accept that some tapes have hiss. Some have wuite a bit. but, it shouldn't be cleaned up to the point of messing with the music.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Grant wrote:
Todd Ireland wrote:
Herb Alpert - This Guy's in Love with You: On Classics Volume 1 (A&M 2501) and Definitive Hits (A&M 069490886), the recording is very hissy. I'm guessing this is probably also the case with the song's other CD appearances.

Pat occasionally will note if a song sounds very hissy or noisy on CD. Tape hiss isn't normally an issue with me, but on "This Guy's in Love with You" the hiss is rampant to the point of distraction, especially during the song's quieter passages.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 31 May 2006 at 9:00pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jaggerz - The Rapper on Best Of Buddah sounds very muddy, as if the tape was not tracking properly through the machine when it was mastered. I'm hoping that other mono copies of this one sound better. Can anyone suggest a good source?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride from Dick Bartley's On The Radio vol. 1 compilation is mastered from vinyl, which should probably be noted in the database. Not only are there lots of clicks throughout, but the sound is very muddy with no high end; sounds like it was dubbed from AM radio. It was interesting to hear what the 45 version sounds like with the alternate vocal take.

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

aaronk wrote:
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride from Dick Bartley's On The Radio vol. 1 compilation is mastered from vinyl, which should probably be noted in the database. Not only are there lots of clicks throughout, but the sound is very muddy with no high end; sounds like it was dubbed from AM radio. It was interesting to hear what the 45 version sounds like with the alternate vocal take.

Believe it or not, that IS the way the original Dunhill 45 sounded. Our radio station complained to Dunhill and were told that that's the tape they received! I think the later Dunhill/ABC oldies series included the single mix with the upper mids boosted a little. Weird. What WAS Steppenwolf thinking?

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2006 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

aaronk wrote:
Jaggerz - The Rapper on Best Of Buddah sounds very muddy, as if the tape was not tracking properly through the machine when it was mastered. I'm hoping that other mono copies of this one sound better. Can anyone suggest a good source?

Is this the same version that has those weird sound effects and echo midway through the song?? My stock and promo 45s were both identical mono mixes that just had a light echo throughout the entire song, not weird loud echo and sound effects at one part....

Tim Lyman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2006 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Tim Lyman

I have three CDs with the 45 edit of "Dance With Me" by Orleans. On both Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day Vol. 17 (Rhino R2 71197) and Only Love 1975 - 1979 (JCI JCD-3146), there is some kind of distortion present on the right stereo channel for the duration of the song. This distortion is more noticeable when listening to the song through headphones.

On Dance With Me: The Best of Orleans (Rhino R2 72848), this distortion is not present.
Back to Top View Tim Lyman's Profile Search for other posts by Tim Lyman

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

TomDiehl1 wrote:
aaronk wrote:

Is this the same version that has those weird sound effects and echo midway through the song?? My stock and promo 45s were both identical mono mixes that just had a light echo throughout the entire song, not weird loud echo and sound effects at one part....

Yes, that's correct, Tom. At about 1:47 and again at 1:56, there's an echo that gradually gets louder (sounds like someone potted the reel to reel up on the board while it was recording, causing a feedback loop). I take it this is not on the promo and stock 45s? I suppose the comment in the database should be "neither" if this is the case.

Either way, I've listened to this track on the Buddah Box as well, and it's the same one. Sounds muddy and crappy, like the tape wasn't tracking through the machine properly. The first note sounds good (just as the play button was pressed on the machine), and then it gets muddy right away. It also sounds like it's phasing, especially on the chorus. If you listen to the stereo mix by contrast, it's a night and day difference. The stereo mix sounds fantastic!

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Tim Lyman writes:

<I have three CDs with the 45 edit of "Dance With Me" by Orleans. On both Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day Vol. 17 (Rhino R2 71197) and Only Love 1975 - 1979 (JCI JCD-3146), there is some kind of distortion present on the right stereo channel for the duration of the song. This distortion is more noticeable when listening to the song through headphones. On Dance With Me: The Best of Orleans (Rhino R2 72848), this distortion is not present. >

I'm listening to the Rhino version on headphones and don't hear any distortion. Can you elaborate on what you hear? Maybe some CDs have it and some don't. (I bought this when it first came out). I also looked at the WAV file and there are no places where it peaked out.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 May 2007 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Percy Sledge - When A Man Loves A Woman on the Atlantic 50 Years 2-CD set starts off slow for the first second, and then it speeds up to normal pitch.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 December 2007 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Allman Brothers Band - Crazy Love on Decade of Hits..., the first note is partially clipped off.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I think we can now add "Abacab" from Genesis' Turn It On Again - The Hits to the till.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

sriv94 wrote:
I think we can now add "Abacab" from Genesis' Turn It On Again - The Hits to the till.

What do you mean by that, Doug?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version