Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Single/album version distinctions... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 February 2005 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I've decided to undertake a new project... I'm compiling a list of mostly late '80s and '90s songs whose single versions differ from their corresponding LP versions, but are not acknowledged as such in the 10th edition.

For each entry, I'll list the artist, song title, the commercial single version run time if I know it, and the LP version run time. I will also frequently interject my own comments in italic print when necessary.

If I'm unable to confirm a commercial single version's run time, I will instead quote the run time Joel Whitburn reports in his Pop Annual 1955-1999 book. His last name and run time will be enclosed in parenthesis like this: (Whitburn - 3:32). I realize that Whitburn's times are frequently off by 5-10 seconds, but his information can still be a useful indicator for determining if a single version has a significantly different run time than its corresponding LP version. In instances where I don't have a commercial single for a particular song, but Whitburn's run time for the single differs from the LP version by 11 seconds or more, I will list just the LP version and Whitburn's time in parenthesis. This will let readers know that the commercial single might differ from the LP version. Hopefully, someone will have a commercial single copy he can check and report back to us.

If an asterisk appears immediately after a single version run time, it means the time is based on how long the song runs on my Promo Only: Mainstream Radio subscription CDs (or some other source) and not on the retail commercial single itself. This means the run time from an actual commercial single copy still needs to be confirmed.

For the purposes of this discussion, I will use the more generic comment "single version" unless I can confirm that a commercial 45 is available, for which in those cases I'll use the traditional "45 version" comment. Please note that when I do use the "single version" comment it doesn't necessarily mean a vinyl 45 doesn't exist. It simply means I haven't confirmed that one does. As always, if someone has anything to add, correct, or dispute, your input is most welcome. If something is unclear to you, please ask me to clarify. I will be adding about a dozen or so new entries generally every 3-4 days. Ok, enough introduction... Time to roll up the sleeves and get to it!

Aaliyah - If Your Girl Only Knew ==> Single version - 3:54* (Whitburn - 3:51). LP version - 4:50.   

Aaliyah - The One I Gave My Heart To ==> LP version - 4:29. (Whitburn - 3:53)
The cassette single and CD single state "radio mix" on the track listing with a printed run time of 3:53.

Paula Abdul - My Love Is for Real ==> 45 version - 4:22. LP version - 5:19.

Ace of Base - Living in Danger ==> LP version - 3:41. (Whitburn - 3:08)
The cassette single and CD single state "single remix" on the track listing. I've seen the "single remix" run time listed at 3:10 or 3:15 depending on the website.

Aerosmith - Pink ==> Single version - 3:53. LP version - 3:54.
The CD single features the "south beach mix" and the "album version". Because the "south beach mix" is the leadoff track and due to the fact that it received significant Top 40 airplay, I definitely consider it to be the single version. It runs approximately the same length of time as the LP version, but is a different mix. The single version appears on Aerosmith's Oh Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits (Columbia 86700), but is currently marked only as "remix" in the 10th edition.

Aerosmith - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing ==> LP version - 4:57.
It's my understanding that the vinyl 45, cassette single, and CD single features a "pop mix" that runs approximately 4:58. This mix is reported to be slightly different than the LP version.

After 7 - Heat of the Moment ==> LP version - 4:25. (Whitburn - 6:10)
In his Pop Annual 1955-1999 book, Joel Whitburn notes the following under "Heat of the Moment" on page 576 : "(short version peaked at #74 in 1989)". It can be deduced from Whitburn's information that there are two different single versions of this song. The "long" version appears to be the "hit" single version.

After 7 - 'Til You Do Me Right ==> LP version - 4:53. (Whitburn - 4:05)
Track 1 on the CD single is an "edit", according to the track listing. The DJ CD single has the "edit" run time printed at 4:12.

Alabama featuring 'N Sync - God Must Have Spent a Little More Time on You ==> 45 version - 3:18. LP version - 4:37.
The 45 version has Alabama featuring 'N Sync on background vocals, while the LP version is performed by Alabama only and does not include 'N Sync. The one and only CD appearance of this song in the 10th edition should have the comment: LP version. To date, the single version has only appeared on commercial vinyl 45 and CD single (and possibly cassette single).

Tatyana Ali - Daydreamin' ==> LP version - 4:59. (Whitburn - 3:58)
The CD and cassette single state "single edit", with the run time estimated to be around 4:02.

Alias - More Than Words Can Say ==> Single version runs 3:39. LP version runs 3:52. DJ CD single copies (EMI DPRO 04637) run (3:39), not (3:35) as the label states, and (3:52).

All-4-One - I Can Love You Like That ==> LP version - 4:21. (Whitburn - 4:10)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 26 May 2005 at 9:39pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 February 2005 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Your energy level is higher than the Energizer bunny my friend.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 February 2005 at 2:47am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I second that, Pat. But allow me to assist on the post...

Aaliyah - If Your Girl Only Knew I have the commercial CD Single, and it only contains the LP Version and a few remixes. The Single Version you have listed, Todd, is the Radio Edit from the promo single.

Aerosmith - I Don't Want To Miss... I don't have a commercial copy, but there were (at least) two promo singles released. One contains the "Pop Mix" that you're talking about. The other promo single, which I have, contains the "Pop Radio Edit No Orchestra Intro" version. This is the same as the Pop Mix, but it starts cold with the vocals--and it is a different mix, not just an edit.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 February 2005 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Re:
Aerosmith - I Don't Want To Miss...

There's a third promo single of this song because the one I have does not contain either version that aaronk lists. My promo CD single has "rock mix", and I remember it was quite different than the regular version (used in the video and played on the radio). When I bought it, I hadn't even noticed the mix details and was assuming I was getting the regular radio version. I also have the commercial CD single, which I believe is the "pop mix". However, I don't have the Armageddon soundtrack so I can't A-B the pop mix with the LP mix to determine a difference.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2005 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

In his Top Pop Singles 1955-1999 book, Joel Whitburn provides vinyl single availability information for all Top 40 singles appearing on the Billboard Hot 100 chart after 1989. As a service to vinyl 45 purists, I will start noting Top 40 singles that are available on 45.

Also, from here on out, I will unwaiveringly use the comments "single version" and "album version" to describe 45 and LP versions, respectively, because I believe these broader terms are more "format inclusive". (Of course, it's entirely up to Pat which comments he chooses to use in his book.)

A couple things to note from my previous set of entries:

==> In Top Pop Singles, Whitburn claims that the original 1989 version of After 7's "Heat of the Moment" runs 4:20. Meanwhile, no vinyl 45 was issued for the longer version running 6:10 that became a Top 40 hit in 1991.

==> A vinyl 45 was issued for All-4-One's "I Can Love You Like That".

Now, back to where we last left off...

All-4-One - Someday ==> Single version - 4:15. Album version - 4:16.
The single version is very similar to the album version. After doing an A/B comparison, I discovered that the album version contains an oboe and some extra strings (or are they synthesizers?) while the single version does not. The one and only CD appearance of this song in the 10th edition is the album version.

All Saints - I Know Where It's At ==> Single version - 3:56* (Whitburn - 3:54). Album version - 5:08. (available on vinyl 45)
The commercial and promo CD single contains the following track listing and printed run times: 1) Gutfather & Jo's Alternative Mix - Radio (4:01); 2) Original Radio Mix (4:00). I don't have a commercial copy so I'm not sure which version I have on my Promo Only CD.

Herb Alpert - Making Love in the Rain ==> Album version - 5:54. (Whitburn - 3:50) (available on vinyl 45)
I believe this was only available on vinyl 45, although it's possible a promo CD single might exist too.

Another Bad Creation - Iesha ==> Album version - 4:21. (Whitburn - 4:07) (available on vinyl 45)
The cassette single contains the same version on both sides, but I'm getting conflicting information as to whether the cassingle features the album version or the "radio version" (they may be one in the same). I'm not sure about the vinyl 45 track listing either. However, both the 12" single and the promo CD single have a track called the " 7" version ", which I've seen listed with a 3:10 run time on the 12". Not sure if "Iesha" runs 3:10 on the actual 45 as well, or if this so-called 7" version appearing on the 12" and promo CD is really just a radio edit.

Adam Ant - Wonderful ==> Single version - 3:55* (Whitburn - 3:48). Album version - 4:20. (available on vinyl 45)
The fade on "Wonderful" sounds like it's truncated on my Promo Only CD, so it may actually run a little bit longer than what I've listed as the possible 45 version run time. Either way, the run time needs to be checked via a commercial single copy, as indicated by the asterisk(*).

Tina Arena - Chains ==> Single version - 4:00. Album version - 4:21.

Az Yet featuring Peter Cetera - Hard to Say I'm Sorry ==> Single version - 3:15. Album version - 3:14. (available on vinyl 45)
The David Foster remix featuring Peter Cetera's vocals is actually the B-side of the commercial CD and cassette single, whereas the A-side features Az Yet only. Because the Peter Cetera version received the bulk of the airplay, it is considered the single version even though it appears as the "flipside" on the commercial single. Whitburn notes the vinyl 45 makes no mention of Peter Cetera, so I don't know if Cetera is on the commercial vinyl version or not.

Babyface - And Our Feelings ==> Album version - 5:39. (Whitburn - 3:52) (available on vinyl 45)
Commercial CD single's A-side states "radio edit" with an alleged run time of 3:59, according to an eBay seller I corresponded with via e-mail. Cassette and vinyl single contain the same track listing.

Babyface - Every Time I Close My Eyes ==> Single version - 4:11*. Album version - 4:56. (available on vinyl 45)

Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back) ==> Single version - 3:43* (Whitburn - 3:44). Album version - 4:45. (available on vinyl 45)

Bad Company - Walk Through Fire ==> Album version - 4:47. (Whitburn - 4:10)
The single version is shown on commercial single copies as a "remix".

Bad English - Price of Love ==> Album version - 4:46. (Whitburn - 4:38) (available on vinyl 45)
The single version is shown on commercial copies as a "remix", which runs approximately the same length as the album version. I don't have a commercial single copy yet, so I can't report the exact differences between the single and album version.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 February 2005 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Bardeux - When We Kiss ==> Single version - 3:55. Album version - 4:51. (available on vinyl 45)

The B-52's - Deadbeat Club ==> Album version - 4:45. (Whitburn - 4:15) (available on vinyl 45)
The commercial single version is reported to be a "remix edit".

Black Box - I Don't Know Anybody Else ==> Album version - 4:32. (Whitburn - 3:52)
I have a promo CD single copy containing a radio edit which runs 3:58 (RCA 2738-2-RDJ). It's very possible that the radio edit may be the same as the single version, although I don't have a commercial single copy for verification.

Black Box - Strike It Up ==> Album version - 5:15. (Whitburn - 3:06)
We discussed the single version of this song on another thread. I'll work on finding out the exact single and radio edit run times.

The Blackout Allstars - I Like It ==> Single version - 4:19*. Original album version - 3:43
Whitburn reports in Top Pop Singles that this song was originally recorded for the movie soundtrack I Like It Like That in 1994, and didn't actually become a hit until a couple of years later when it was used in a Burger King commercial. I compared my copy of "I Like It" from my Promo Only CD subscription series to the version found on the various artist CD Boom! (Beast 54112) and the two are identical (the only difference being that the tracks before and after "I Like It" on the Boom! disc all segue into each other). Whitburn lists the commercial single run time at 4:19. This leads me to believe that all 4:19 versions of the song containing the comment: (remixed) in the 10th edition are probably actually the "hit single" version.

BLACKstreet - Booti Call ==> Album version - 4:25. (Whitburn - 4:10)

Blessid Union of Souls - Let Me Be the One ==> Single version - 3:52* (Whitburn - 3:52). Album version - 4:36. (available on vinyl 45)

Mary J. Blige - Be Happy ==> Album version - 5:48. (Whitburn - 5:37)
The single and album version are likely the same, but we won't know for sure until someone can check and report the run time on a commercial single copy.

Blues Traveler - Hook ==> Album version - 4:48. (Whitburn - 4:24) (available on vinyl 45)
The commercial and promo single states "edit".

Michael Bolton featuring Kenny G - Missing You Now ==> Album version - 4:33. (Whitburn - 4:27) (available on vinyl 45)
Is the 4:24 version that appears on Greatest Hits 1985-1995 (Columbia 67300), Love Songs (Columbia/Legacy 85351), and Timeless (The Classics)/Timeless (The Classics) Vol. 2/Love Songs (Columbia/Legacy 86065) the commercial single length, or an early fade of the commercial single and album version?

Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - Look into My Eyes ==> Single version - 4:26.
Commercial singles feature the "clean version".

Bon Jovi - Always ==> Single version - 4:54. Album version - 5:51. (available on vinyl 45)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 24 April 2005 at 3:41pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 March 2005 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Due to my increased work load, I won't be able to add entries to this list every three to four days like I originally planned. Nevertheless, as my time permits, I will do my best to post new entries at least once a week until the list is complete.

I have updates for four entries I posted earlier:

All-4-One - I Can Love You Like That
An eBay seller informs me that the song runs 4:23 on the CD single he has up for sale. He didn't mention if this is the printed run time or if he actually timed the song himself. Either way, his data seems to suggest that the commercial single and album version of "I Can Love You Like That" are essentially the same, which of course means no single version/album version distinction would apply here.

Bad Company - Walk Through Fire ==> Single version - 4:17. Album version - 4:47.
I got hold of a commercial cassette copy and confirmed the run time.

The B-52's - Deadbeat Club ==> Single version - 4:19. Album version - 4:45.
I came across a commercial cassette single copy and confirmed the 4:19 run time, even though the label states 4:15.

Black Box - Strike It Up == Single version - 3:06*. Album version - 5:15.
I asked edtop40 to check his cassette single copy for me. He says it contains the "radio mix" and runs 3:06. I believe this is how long the "radio mix" runs on the promo CD single as well. It would be good if someone could verify this.

And now, let's get back to where we last left off...

Brent Bourgeois - Dare to Fall in Love ==> Single version - 4:08. Album version - 4:05.
The cassette single states "edit" on the sleeve. The main difference between the single and album version is the single version edits out part of the keyboard solo after the first set of verses. But what's interesting here is the album version fades out sooner than the single which explains why the latter has an overall longer run time.

The Boys - Crazy ==> Album version - 5:05. (Whitburn - 4:03) (available on vinyl 45)
My sources say the commercial cassette single features a radio edit version.

Boys Club - I Remember Holding You ==> Album version - 4:52. (Whitburn - 4:09) (available on vinyl 45)
The commercial and promo 45 both have a printed run time of 4:09 on the label.

Brandy - I Wanna Be Down ==> Album version - 4:51. (Whitburn - 4:03) (available on vinyl 45)
The CD single appears to contain the "LP Version". But given Whitburn's listed run time, I'm wondering if the cassette single might feature a different mix or edit on the A-side?

Brandy - Baby ==> Single version - 4:19*. Album version - 5:12. (Whitburn - 4:16) (available on vinyl 45)

Brandy - Brokenhearted ==> Single version - 4:45. Album version - 5:51.
The cassette single features the "Soulpower Mix", which is also the version I remember hearing on the radio. The label incorrectly states a run time of 4:29.

Brandy, Tamia, Gladys Knight and Chaka Khan - Missing You ==> Single version - 4:11*. Album version - 4:22. (Whitburn - 4:09) (available on vinyl 45)

Brandy & Monica - The Boy Is Mine ==> Single version - 3:59*. Album version - 4:54. (Whitburn - 4:00) (available on vinyl 45)

Brandy - Have You Ever? ==> Album version - 4:31. (Whitburn - 3:33) (available on vinyl 45)
My sources say the commercial single features what appears to be the radio edit.

Brother Beyond - The Girl I Used to Know ==> Single version - 4:11*. Album version - 4:21.
The "single version" runs 4:11 on my promo CD copy (EMI DPRO #04521), though the label states a time of 3:59. In the 10th edition, the song is listed as running 3:51 on Decades of Dance: The 90's (EMI-Capitol Music Special Markets 19578) and Pat comments that this is the "dj edit". Is there another promo DJ single pressing featuring this 3:51 version? I notice the Decades of Dance track listing does state that "The Girl I Used to Know" is the "radio mix edited version". Since I don't have this disc, I'm unable to look into this.

Sharon Bryant - Let Go ==> Album version - 4:51. (Whitburn - 4:09)

Bush - Comedown ==> Single version - 4:08. Album version - 5:24. Promo CD copies of the single run 4:08, but states a time of 4:19 (Trauma PRCD 6297).

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2005 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Just a reminder and a point of clarification... Whenever I type an asterisk(*) immediately after a single version run time, it means the time is believed to be correct but hasn't yet been verified on an actual commercial single copy.

Back to business at hand...

Busta Rhymes - Woo-Hah!! Got You All in Check ==> Album version - 4:31. (Whitburn - 4:15)
Commercial singles all feature the "Radio Edit" as the lead track or the A-side. Joel Whitburn reports the commercial single run time to be 4:15, as indicated in parenthesis proceeding the album version run time above.

C + C Music Factory - Do You Wanna Get Funky ==> Single version - 4:29. Album version - 4:05. (Whitburn - 4:25)
Commercial singles all feature the "Vocal Club Mix" as the lead track or the A-side. This single remix appears on the C&C Music Factory domestic CD Ultimate (Columbia 67367). According to www.allmusic.com, the "Vocal Club Mix" also appears on In the Groove (Sony Music Special Products 28099). The 10th edition currently shows "Do You Wanna Get Funky" with the comment "(remix)" next to the two above mentioned CDs, but it would probably be more accurate to comment that these discs contain the commercial single version.

Belinda Carlisle - Leave a Light On ==> Single version - 4:14. Album version - 4:35. (available on vinyl 45)

Belinda Carlisle - Summer Rain ==> Single version - 4:09. Album version - 5:26. (available on vinyl 45)

Paul Carrack - I Live by the Groove ==> Single version - 3:59. Album version - 4:09.
The single version appears on The Paul Carrack Collection (Chrysalis 27221) and Glass Tiger/Paul Carrack Back 2 Back Hits (EMI-Capitol Music Special Markets 99261) , but is not noted as so in the 10th edition.

Case featuring Foxy Brown - Touch Me Tease Me ==> Album version - 3:51. (Whitburn - 4:30)

Case - Happily Ever After ==> Album version - 4:35. (Whitburn -4:10)
The CD single features a "Main Version" mix as the lead track or A-side. It is reported to run shorter than the album version.

David Cassidy - Lyin' to Myself ==> Single version - 4:02. Album version - 3:58. (Whitburn - 3:42)
Edtop40 tells me the single version runs 4:02, which is about four seconds longer than the album version. Does the single version merely take longer to fade out than the album version, or is it a different mix altogether?

Changing Faces - Foolin' Around ==> Album version - 4:26. (Whitburn - 3:48)
The commercial cassette single is reported to have an edit on the A-side.

Changing Faces - G.H.E.T.T.O.U.T ==> Album version - 4:26. (Whitburn - 4:00)

Cheap Trick - Can't Stop Fallin' into Love ==> Single version - 3:48. Album version - 3:48. (also available on vinyl 45)
This one has me puzzled. The commercial single features the "Radio Mix". The promo CD single consists of the "Radio Mix" and "LP Version" (Epic ESK 7344). I did a precise A/B comparison between the two tracks on my Adobe Audition software and I honestly can't distinguish any difference between them. The two sound virtually identical to me. When I ran a waveform analysis test on the tracks, the results showed that the "LP Version" is a small fraction of a decibel louder in volume and equalization than the "Radio Mix" single version. If anyone can detect any perceptible differences between the commercial single and album version, please post your observations because I'd love to discover what they are!

Mark Chesnutt - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing ==> Single version - 3:53. Album Version - 4:05. (also available on vinyl 45)

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2005 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

me too.....the cheap trick song "i can't stop fallin into love" that is on their greatest hits is identical to the 45 AND cassingle versions even though each plainly states that the version was/is the "radio mix".....they are identical...........

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2005 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I forgot to mention in my previous posts that Sharon Bryant's "Let Go" and Paul Carrack's "I Live by the Groove" are also available on vinyl 45.

Cinderella - Shelter Me ==> Album version - 4:46. (Whitburn - 4:30) (also available on vinyl 45)
Commercial cassette and promo CD single copies show a printed run time of 4:50, so this may be a case where Whitburn's reported single time is way off. Therefore, the commercial single and album version may be the same.

Citizen King - Better Days (and the Bottom Drops Out) ==> Single version - 3:37*. Album version - 3:26. (also available on vinyl 45)

Cleopatra - Cleopatra's Theme ==> Single version - 3:49*. Album version - 4:08. (Whitburn - 3:48)

Climie Fisher - Love Changes Everything ==> Album version - 4:28. (Whitburn - 3:54) (also available on vinyl 45)
The printed run time on the commercial 45 is 3:54.

Jude Cole - Time for Letting Go ==> Single version - 4:17. Album version - 4:17. (also available on vinyl 45)
The single version is a remix and features an additional electric guitar dub during the chorus.

Natalie Cole - I Live for Your Love ==> Album version - 4:25. (Whitburn - 4:12) (also available on vinyl 45)
The printed run time on the commercial vinyl 45 label is 4:12.

Natalie Cole - Pink Cadillac ==> Album version - 4:27. (Whitburn - 4:14) (also available on vinyl 45)
The printed run time on the commercial vinyl 45 label is 4:14.

Paula Cole - Where Have All the Cowboys Gone? ==> Single version - 3:46*. Album version - 4:26. (Whitburn - 3:46) (also available on vinyl 45)

Collective Soul - Shine ==> Single version - 4:40. Album version - 5:05. (also available on vinyl 45)
The single version is a remix edit.

Collective Soul - December ==> Single version - 4:09*. Album version - 4:45. (Whitburn - 4:13) (also available on vinyl 45)

Color Me Badd - Slow Motion ==> Single version - 4:35. Album version - 4:24. (also available on vinyl 45)
The commercial cassette single features the "Freeze Frame Mix".

Color Me Badd - Forever Love ==> Single version - 4:28. Album version - 5:09. (also available on vinyl 45)
Commercial singles all feature the "radio edit" on the A-side.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 March 2005 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Regarding "Forever Love" by Color Me Badd, I just checked the version found on "Young, Gifted And Badd - The Remixes" and compared it to the version found on "O.S.T. Mo' Money" and found them to be identical. This is odd since I thought the song first appeared on the movie soundtrack and so my question is how could it be remixed on the "Young, Gifted And Badd" cd? Could the single have been released prior to the movie soundtrack?

Regarding "I Live For Your Love" by Natalie Cole, the time on the 45 is incorrectly listed as 4:12 when the 45 actually runs 4:22 and is slightly faster than the LP, so there really is no 45 version.

Regarding "Shine" by Collective Soul, the liner notes from the "VH1 - I Love The 90's" cd claim the version included on that cd is the 45 version (Atlantic 87237) but it runs (3:54). If this is not the 45 version then can anyone explain where the (3:54) version comes from?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2005 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Moderator wrote:
Regarding "Forever Love" by Color Me Badd, I just checked the version found on "Young, Gifted And Badd - The Remixes" and compared it to the version found on "O.S.T. Mo' Money" and found them to be identical. This is odd since I thought the song first appeared on the movie soundtrack and so my question is how could it be remixed on the "Young, Gifted And Badd" cd? Could the single have been released prior to the movie soundtrack?

Pat:

I have "Forever Love" on the O.S.T. Mo' Money CD, the promo CD single, and have listened to it on cassette single. They all sound identical to me. It's possible the song might not have been remixed at all and the record label may have simply been looking for a way to include it on an actual Color Me Badd release. But you're right... It doesn't make sense to include the LP version on what's supposed to be a remix album.

Moderator wrote:
Regarding "Shine" by Collective Soul, the liner notes from the "VH1 - I Love The 90's" cd claim the version included on that cd is the 45 version (Atlantic 87237) but it runs (3:54). If this is not the 45 version then can anyone explain where the (3:54) version comes from?

As I established in my previous post, the single version of "Shine" runs 4:40 on the cassette single, but it's possible that the vinyl 45 might have a different edit. There were at least three different promo CD single pressings for "Shine". Here are their track listings and printed run times:

(Atlantic PRCD 5562)
1) Remix edit - 4:39
2) Remix LP Version - 5:05
Note: This promo CD appears to be identical to the commercial cassette single release.

(Atlantic PRCD 5572)
1) Edit - ?
2) LP version - ?
Note: I'm assuming this disc contains an edit of the CD album version and the CD album version itself.

(Atlantic PRCD 5655)
1) EDIT - GUITAR SOLO DELETED - 3:55

It looks like the version of "Shine" on the VH1 - I Love The 90's CD could very well be the 3:55 radio edit with the deleted guitar solo. I'm aiming to purchase the PRCD 5562 and PRCD 5655 promo discs soon, so I will post the actual run times once I get them. Meanwhile, someone may want to check the commercial vinyl 45 to see if the 3:55 radio edit is on there. This is a distinct possibility because the Canadian vinyl 45 is reported to state "radio edit" on the label.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2005 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

hey todd.....the song "shine" issued on the cassingle atlantic 87237 contains the "remix edit version" (4:39) on the a-side and "remix lp version" (5:05) on the b-side.........the cassingle contains the same tracks that are on the promo cd sgl atlantic 5562.........hope this helps

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2005 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, Ed, for verifying that bit of info on the Collective Soul "Shine" promo single.

I have a couple of updates before I post the next batch of entries...

Brandy - Baby ==> My lovely and gracious girlfriend has this song on commercial cassette single and I clocked the run time at 4:20.

Color Me Badd - Slow Motion ==> As I reported in a previous post, the single version is a remix with a run time of 4:35. Some readers may be wondering if the 4:34 remix appearing on the Young, Gifted and Badd (Giant 24480) CD is the single version. After listening and comparing, I have concluded that it definitely is not.

Ok, cool... Let's move on to 12 more new entries:

Color Me Badd - Choose ==> Single version - 3:57. Album version - 4:22. (available on vinyl 45)
Commercial cassette and vinyl single copies contain the "radio edit" on the A-side.

Coolio - Fantastic Voyage ==> Album version - 5:32. (Whitburn - 4:14) (available on vinyl 45)
The commercial cassette single features the "radio version" on the A-side. Commercial maxi-CD single copies meanwhile appear to have the album version as the lead track.

Coolio - 1,2,3,4 (Sumpin' New) ==> Single version - 3:20. Album version - 3:32. (available on vinyl 45)
The commercial cassette single features the "Timber Mix clean" version on the A-side. CD and vinyl single copies feature the "Timber Mix" but I don't know if this is the clean version or not because I only have the cassingle.

Coolio - It's All the Way Live (Now) ==> Single version - 3:35. Album version - 4:18. (available on vinyl 45)
Commercial single copies contain the "Timber Mix".

Coolio featuring 40 Thevz - C U When U Get There ==> Single version - 5:06. Album version - 4:38.
Commercial single copies feature "Coolio's album version" on the A-side. The Nothing to Lose soundtrack version runs 4:38.

The Cover Girls - Because of You ==> (Whitburn - 3:55) (available on vinyl 45)
Did this song ever appear on a Cover Girls album?

Deborah Cox with R.L. - We Can't Be Friends ==> Album version - 4:40. (Whitburn - 4:15)
I just ordered a commercial CD single copy, so I will report the actual run time after the disc arrives.

The Cranberries - When You're Gone ==> Single version - 4:29. Album version - 4:54. (available on vinyl 45)
I have this song on commercial maxi-CD single and promo CD single and it runs 4:29 on both. I don't have a commercial two track CD or cassette single copy, but my research indicates that the song runs 4:54 on these latter configurations just like the album version.

The Cranberries - Free to Decide ==> (Whitburn - 4:49) (available on vinyl 45)
This song is the B-side or backup track of "When You're Gone" on commercial single copies. I have the maxi-CD single where "Free to Decide" is Track 2 and runs 4:23 just like the album version. Does anyone have a commercial single pressing that reflects Joel Whitburn's listed run time of 4:49?

Robert Cray Band - Smoking Gun ==> Album version - 4:05. (Whitburn - 3:21) (available on vinyl 45)

David Crosby & Phil Collins - Hero ==> Album version - 4:38. (Whitburn - 4:26) (available on vinyl 45)
The printed run time on the vinyl 45 is 4:38, which is the same length as the album version. I don't have any run time info about the cassette single.

Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do ==> Single version - 4:06*. Album version - 4:31. (Whitburn - 4:06) (available on vinyl 45)

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 March 2005 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

The Cover Girls' "Because of You" most definitely
appeared on one of their albums - their 1987 debut, in
fact. The album was titled "Show Me", and was released on
the indie Fever label (Fever 4). I bought it on cassette
myself just after it came out, and still have it to this
day. I just checked the 10th edition, and see that for
whatever reason, Pat doesn't have the "Show Me" CD listed
under "Because of You", so he needs to add it - last time
I checked, it was still in print on CD here in the U.S.,
on the Warlock label (although I don't have that CD
re-issue)...

For anyone who liked the so-called "freestyle" dance
craze of the late '80s/early '90s, the "Show Me" album
was definitely a classic! It's up there w/ Shannon's "Let
the Music Play" (1984) and Expose's "Exposure" (1987).
There isn't a bum track on it - and off the top of my
head, I can't recall another album on an indie label from
the last 25 years that yielded *five* hits on the pop
chart ("Show Me", "Spring Love", "Because of You",
"Promise Me", and "Inside Outside"). It's no surprise
that the group was quickly snatched up by a major
(Capitol) for their second album, 1989's "We Can't Go
Wrong". Highly recommended...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2005 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I appreciate you clearing up my question regarding the Cover Girls' "Because of You", 80smusicfreak. I have a hunch Pat will be including information on the Show Me CD in the 11th edition of T40MOCD. :-)

Getting back now to the list...

For what it's worth, I will avoid redundancy by not listing songs whose 45 versions have already been discussed in detail elsewhere on the message board, such as Def Leppard's "Hysteria", De La Soul's "Me, Myself & I", and Cathy Dennis' "Touch Me (All Night Long)".

Cutting Crew - One for the Mockingbird ==> Album version - 4:27. (Whitburn - 3:58) (available on vinyl 45)

Da Brat - Give It 2 You ==> Album version - 3:12. (Whitburn - 3:50)

Da Brat - Sittin' on Top of the World ==> Album version - 4:15. (Whitburn - 4:00)

Michael Damian - Was It Nothing At All? ==> Single version - 3:57. Album version - 4:32.

Damn Yankees - Where You Goin' Now ==> Single version - 4:26. Album version - 4:38. (available on vinyl 45)

D'Angelo - Brown Sugar ==> CD single version - 4:02. Album version - 4:22. (Whitburn - 4:22)
I have the commercial CD single release for this song and Track 1 contains the "radio version", which runs 4:02. The cassette single meanwhile is reported to contain the 4:22 album version. I hope someone can confirm this.

dc Talk - Just Between You and Me ==> Single version - 3:45*. Album version - 4:58. (Whitburn - 3:45) (available on vinyl 45)
The commercial cassette single features the "radio edit".

The Deele - Two Occasions ==> Single version - 4:08*. Album Version - 4:16. (Whitburn - 4:12) (available on vinyl 45)
Edtop40 informs me the vinyl 45 run time is 4:08, which is shorter than the LP length. He also says the 45 version can be found on Greatest Hits (Solar/Right Stuff 82078), but claims the song runs :10 longer on this CD than the 45.

Def Leppard - Two Steps Behind ==> Single version - 4:18.
Commercial single copies all feature the "acoustic version". Therefore, it can be accurately noted that the following CDs: O.S.T. Last Action Hero (Columbia 57127) , Retroactive (Mercury 314518305) , and Greatest Hits (Mercury 314528718) all contain the single version of this song.      

Cathy Dennis - You Lied to Me ==> Album version - 5:26. (Whitburn - 3:32)
Brian W. pointed out in another thread that DJ CD copies of this single contain a radio edit that runs 3:37. I'm near certain commercial singles contain the radio edit as well, but I currently don't have a copy to confirm this.

Digable Planets - Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat) ==> Album version - 4:21. (Whitburn - 4:04) (available on vinyl 45)
My research reveals that commercial single copies contain the "7-inch Mix".

Dino - Sunshine ==> Single version - 4:05. Album version - 3:46. (available on vinyl 45)
Cassette single and promo CD single copies states that the song is an "edit" even though it runs longer than the album version.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Dino - Gentle ==> Single version - 4:10. Album version - 5:21.
Commercial cassette and promo CD single copies contains the "edit" version as the A-side or lead-off track.

Dino - Ooh Child ==> Single version - 3:58. Album version - 4:12.
Commercial single copies features the "radio edit".

Celine Dion - Where Does My Heart Beat Now ==> Album version - 4:32. (Whitburn - 4:20) (available on vinyl 45)
The printed run time on the commercial cassette single is reported to be 4:33 so I'm almost willing to bet that the single and album version are identical and that Joel Whitburn's listed run time of 4:20 is wrong. Still, it's probably worth checking anyway if anyone has a commercial single copy.

Celine Dion - (If There Was) Any Other Way ==> Album version - 4:00. (Whitburn - 4:15) (available on vinyl 45)

Celine Dion - It's All Coming Back to Me Now ==> Single version - 5:28. Album version - 7:35. (Whitburn - 5:28) (available on vinyl 45)
The 5:28 edit that appears on commercial cassette and CD-5 single copies can be found on the All the Way...A Decade of Song (Epic/550 Music 63760) CD.

Celine Dion - All by Myself ==> Single version - 3:57*. Album version - 5:10. (Whitburn - 3:51) (available on vinyl 45)

Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars ==> Album version - 4:49. (Whitburn - 4:21)
I have a heavy electric guitar remix of this song on my Promo Only: Mainstream Radio subscription CD series that runs 4:28 and claims to be the "radio edit". I'm not sure if this is the same edit version though that is reported to appear on commercial and promo CD single copies with a printed run time of 4:20. I'll do further research on this. Any help of course is appreciated.

Divine - Lately ==> Single version - 4:17*. Album version - 4:42. (Whitburn - 4:15)
I don't have the Pop to the Power of 16 (Redline/Rhino 75746) CD listed in the 10th edition, but I'd say there's a strong likelihood the 4:17 version appearing on this disc is the single version.

Divine - One More Try ==> Album version - 5:02. (Whitburn - 4:10)
Commercial CD single copies show Track 1 as the "radio edit" with a printed run time of 4:10.

Mickey Dolenz and Peter Tork of the Monkees - That Was Then, This Is Now ==> Single and album version - 4:00. (Whitburn - 3:46) (available on vinyl 45)
I asked Edtop40 about this one and he tells me the 45 runs 4:00 and is identical to the LP version. It should be noted that the 45 label incorrectly states the run time is 3:46, which is likely how Whitburn came up with his listed time.

Double - The Captain of Her Heart ==> Album version - 4:31. (Whitburn - 4:00) (available on vinyl 45)

Dru Hill - In My Bed ==> Album version - 4:44. (Whitburn - 3:50) (available on vinyl 45)
Commercial single copies indicates that the A-side or lead track is a "radio edit". The CD single shows a printed run time of 3:59 (not sure if this is also true of the cassette single).

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

One quick update before I resume...

After 7 - 'Til You Do Me Right ==> Single version - 4:12*. Album version - 4:53.
I picked up a promo CD single copy of this song (Virgin DPRO 12744) and the "edit" version runs 4:12. I'm at least 99% positive this is exactly the same as the commercial single version.

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Dru Hill - Never Make a Promise ==> Album version - 5:26. (Whitburn - 4:01)
Commercial single track listings indicate the A-side or lead-off track is a "radio edit".

Dru Hill - How Deep Is Your Love ==> Album version - 3:43, 4:01, and 4:09 (Whitburn - 3:44)
It's difficult to determine the "official" album version here since the song runs 3:43 on the clean version of the O.S.T. Rush Hour (Def Jam Music Group 314558663) CD, 4:09 on the explicit version (Def Jam Music Group 314558660), and 4:01 on the Dru Hill Enter the Dru (Island Black Music 314524542) disc. Judging by Whitburn's listed time, I'm going to take an educated guess that the censored 3:43 version is the commercial single version. This will of course need to be checked and confirmed.

JD featuring Da Brat - The Party Continues ==> Album version - 4:15. (Whitburn - 4:00)
According to my research, commercial single copies contain a "main" mix version with a printed run time of 4:03.

Stacy Earl - Love Me All Up ==> Album version - 4:55. (Whitburn - 3:50) (available on vinyl 45)
All commercial single copies are reported to state "radio edit" on the label with a printed run time of 3:59.

Kevon Edmonds - 24/7 ==> Album version - 4:33. (Whitburn - 3:42)

Electronic - Getting Away with It ==> Album version - 5:13. (Whitburn - 4:19) (available on vinyl 45)

EMF - Lies ==> Album version - 4:27. (Whitburn - 3:34)

En Vogue - Give It Up, Turn It Loose ==> Single version - 4:05. Album version - 5:09.

En Vogue - Don't Let Go (Love) ==> Single version - 4:03*. Album version - 4:51. (Whitburn - 4:04) (available on vinyl 45)

En Vogue - Whatever ==> Single version - 4:10*. Album version - 4:19. (Whitburn - 4:08)

En Vogue - Too Gone, Too Long ==> Single version - 4:05*. Album version - 4:41.

Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine - Betcha Say That ==> Album version - 4:37. (Whitburn - 3:40) (available on vinyl 45)

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Coolio - Fantastic Voyage ==> Album version - 5:32. (Whitburn - 4:14) (available on vinyl 45)
The commercial cassette single features the "radio version" on the A-side. Commercial maxi-CD single copies meanwhile appear to have the album version as the lead track.

I don't believe you have made any entry yet Todd regarding dj edits of the song "Fantastic Voyage" so what is the running time of the "radio version" of this song?

Robert Cray Band - Smoking Gun ==> Album version - 4:05. (Whitburn - 3:21) (available on vinyl 45)

Here is another strange situation I guess as you say Whitburn lists this 45 as running 3:21. I pulled out my vinyl 45 and the label states a running time of 4:05 and it does run 4:05. The label also has the word "long" printed on the label and this is also etched in the runout groove as part of the matrix number. This leads me to believe that there were actually 2 different commercial 45's of this song pressed. Does anyone have the short 3:21 version?

Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat Downey wrote:

I don't believe you have made any entry yet Todd regarding dj edits of the song "Fantastic Voyage" so what is the running time of the "radio version" of this song?

Anytime I list only the album version run time along with Whitburn's listed single run time, it means I don't have a commercial single copy to verify that the single and album version are different. I guess I could've better articulated my comments by saying I've determined through my research that the commercial cassette single contains the "radio version". I don't have a DJ copy either, so I don't know the "radio version" run time. Whitburn's listed time of 4:14 is supposedly based on the cassingle release, so chances are he is somewhere in the ballpark.

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version