Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: CD mastering flaws/glitches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 March 2005 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Toto - 99: On the Past to Present (1977-1990) (Columbia 45368) CD, the right channel's volume drops during the :25 to :27 mark.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 March 2005 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Does anyone else own the "remasterd" CD of Sports by Huey Lewis & The News? I don't own the previous pressing on CD (only have a vinyl copy), but the "remastered" CD sounds awful! It's very flat sounding...like someone turned the treble way down. Stay away from this remaster, unless you really need the live versions of a few of their hits.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

singleman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2005 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote singleman

On my copy of the CD/SACD release of Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited", there is a slight dropout in "Like A Rolling Stone" at 0:23 (at least on the CD layer). Does anyone Know if this has been fixed?
Back to Top View singleman's Profile Search for other posts by singleman

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2005 at 4:25am | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

On the discussion of "Le Freak"...

Don't have the 45 myself, but can say that the "slow down" also occurs on the Time-Life disc "AM Gold: #1 Hits of the '70s - '75-'79"

And I also thought it sounded "off" when I heard it.
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

First Generation - Virgin XXV Years (Virgin 46589) - Disc one chops off the first couple seconds of Human League's "Don't You Want Me" and the first snare hit on Simple Minds "Don't You (Forget About Me)."

Also, in the 8th Edition, there is an error for this disc on Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight." The book reads LP Version, when it should actually read Remix. This is the same mix that is on the 45, but it is not edited for length--it runs the same length as the LP Version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 April 2005 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Duran Duran - Greatest Hits - "The Reflex" has the same "speed up" problem as mentioned earlier about "Le Freak." At 3:10, the pitch increases by about 2% until the end of the song. I suspect it's the same way on Decade but I don't have my CD readily available to check. Does anyone know if this is how it is on the 45?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 June 2005 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Andy Gibb - Desire: The right channel sputters from the 1:01 to 1:02 points on the following CDs: Class Reunion 1980 (Rebound 314520318) and #1 Radio Hits 1980 - Only Rock 'n Roll - 1984 (JCI 3170). This song may contain this flaw on other budget various artist compilations as well. The sputtering does not occur, however, on the Andy Gibb CDs After Dark (Polydor 314539922) and Best of: 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection (Polydor 314589060).

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 June 2005 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Cameo - Candy on Billboard Hot R&B Hits 1987 has the first note cut off.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now on Billboard Top Hits 1987 runs a little slower than other copies, and it sounds as if the pitch ever-so-slightly fluctuates...like a record that's not centered on the turntable.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 1:13am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Cheap Trick - The Flame on Billboard Top Hits 1988 has a pitch problem. It starts off slow for the first 6 or 7 seconds, and then it speeds up slightly until around the 10 second mark. There are other spots in the song (like in the chorus) where it sounds like it slows down a little again, and then back to normal. Probably a bad tape source.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now on Billboard Top Hits 1987 runs a little slower than other copies, and it sounds as if the pitch ever-so-slightly fluctuates...like a record that's not centered on the turntable.

Like the Billboard Top Hits 1987 disc, there are six other CDs in the 10th edition where Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" is shown with a 4:31 run time so I wonder if the pitch runs slower on these copies as well. Also, I notice the song runs 4:20 on the CD Heart of Rock (Columbia 44381). I don't have this CD, so I'm wondering if the shorter run time on this particular disc is the result of a faster pitch, an early fade, or both?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2005 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

It's not mentioned in the book, but INXS's "Need You Tonight" on Time-Life's "Gold & Platinum Vol. 5" contains about half the first note of "Mediate" at the end of the song. Sounds awful... I can't believe that made it through.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 June 2005 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Todd to answer your questions regarding "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now", yes all versions that appear on cd in the US that run 4:31 are too slow. I am glad you mentioned the cd "Heart Of Rock" because on that cd, the opening 5 drum beats are missing and it fades :08 early. Another cd that fades this song early is the Heartland cd #1073/4 which fades the song :05 early.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 July 2005 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Timex Social Club - Rumors - On Rhino's 80s Pop Culture Box and Billboard Hot R&B Hits 1986, there are lots of digital "clicks" throughout the song.

Edited by aaronk on 03 July 2005 at 11:15am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Whitney Houston - Didn't We Almost Have It All - On the Greatest Hits CD, and on my TM Century library, this song sounds awful! The vocals are very distorted, and it sounds as if the tape was bad or like it was transfered from a bad vinyl source. It's noticable throughout the song, but it's really bad from the 3:30 point to the end...and especially at 4:08.

Does anyone know if the original Whitney album has this problem, too?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2005 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
Timex Social Club - Rumors - On Rhino's 80s Pop Culture Box and Billboard Hot R&B Hits 1986, there are lots of digital "clicks" throughout the song.

Aaron:

I don't seem to hear any of these "clicks" on my copy of Rhino's '80s Pop Culture Box, but I definitely notice them on the Billboard Hot R&B Hits 1986 CD. On the latter, the loudest "pop" occurs at the :06 mark. The sound quality for "Rumors" on both CDs seems to lack the "punch" and presence one would expect from a master tape source, which got me to thinking that maybe the clicks, pops, and crackles occur because the song was lifted from a vinyl source (and perhaps cleaned up a little better on the Pop Culture box set). However, the fade out sounds a little too clean on both CDs to suggest vinyl was used here, unless the song was faded slightly early to avoid any extraneous noise.

By the way, does anyone know if there's a DJ edit of "Rumors" with alternative or edited lyrics? There is a verse in particular on both the 45 and LP version I would consider, shall we say, a bit on the sexually explicit side. I have a hard time believing radio programmers would've allowed it to air, especially back in 1986 when Top 40 radio was much more conservative than it is today. Unfortunately, I don't have a clear recollection of how "Rumors" was presented on Top 40 radio, so does anybody have any insight on this?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 15 July 2005 at 7:59am

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2005 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

Van Halen "i'll wait" cd sgl issued on backtraxx has the beginning left and right reversed compared to the 45 version..........anyone else notice this???

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 July 2005 at 1:53am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd Ireland wrote:
The sound quality for "Rumors" on both CDs seems to lack the "punch" and presence one would expect from a master tape source, which got me to thinking that maybe the clicks, pops, and crackles occur because the song was lifted from a vinyl source

You're right about the sound quality, Todd. It sucks on these discs! Is there a CD that has a good sounding copy of this track, or do they all sound flat with no "punch"? In regards to the clicks, these aren't the typical clicks that you'd hear from vinyl. For one, they sound a bit different; and two, on my Cool Edit Pro program, I can zoom way in to see what the clicks look like, and they don't look like clicks you'd find on vinyl.

(This gets a bit technical, but clicks that come from vinyl are usually represented by one "spike" on the waveform file. Digital clicks, as I call them, are typically longer and have a saw-tooth/zig-zag look to them. They also have a different sound than vinyl clicks. I'm guessing they occur from some sort of error in the digital transfer process, such as incomplete/missing data, although I can't say for sure.)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 July 2005 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Wham! - If You Were There: The Best Of... (Columbia 91200 - UK Import) - On the track "Freedom," from 0:15 to 0:36, in the right channel, it sounds as if someone was adjusting a fader and there was a short in the circuit. Although it's not constant, there are several spots where there is a "crackling" sound like you hear when the volume is shorted out.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 July 2005 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Aaron K wrote: "Whitney Houston - Didn't We Almost Have It All - On the Greatest Hits CD, and on my TM Century library, this song sounds awful! The vocals are very distorted, and it sounds as if the tape was bad or like it was transfered from a bad vinyl source. It's noticable throughout the song, but it's really bad from the 3:30 point to the end...and especially at 4:08.
Does anyone know if the original Whitney album has this problem, too?>

I have the original "Whitney" CD and it is also distorted on the vocal, much like the vocal distortion on Wendy Moten's "Come In Out of the Rain", which makes me cringe and want to bury my ears in molasses when I hear the vocal distortion on her great voice (and the great song that it is). Has anyone noticed the vocal distortion on "Come In Out of the Rain"? I can't believe the engineer let that happen.

Edited by EdisonLite on 21 August 2009 at 1:19am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version