Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Land Of Confusion" - Genesis Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

I remember playing a promo 45 on my college radio station of "Land of Confusion" which ran about 3:55 vs the commercial 4:45 version. The sleeve had a big sticker that said something like "Special Edited Remix". I preferred this version to the regular version.

Anyone else remember this one?
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

For an old man like you Paul I must say your memory hasn't yet failed you. There were indeed two different promo dj 45's issued for this song, one is the standard (4:45) version and the other was a remix with an actual run time of (3:49) not (3:53) as stated on the record label.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Thanks for the confirmation on that promo Pat.

This "old man" still has a few tricks up his sleeve:)
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Interesting, I gather this edited remix is not available on CD?
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

At the end of each year, between 1987 and 1998, Atlantic Records would put out a promo-only, usually 16-track CD called "Atlantic's Year In Review: 19**". The first one is my most valued (PR-2187-2). 1987 was a transition year in the change-over from promo 45s to promo CD singles. 1987: 1/3 on CD, 2/3 on 45; 1988: 2/3 on CD; 1/3 on 45; by 1989; over 95% were on a promo CD single. The 1987 Atlantic hit sampler DOES have the "Land Of Confusion" (Remix/Edit), also listed here at (3:53) but actually (3:49) as Pat correctly states. 1987 also had the "Casanova", "Fascinated", and the "Don't Disturb This Groove" single mixes not yet issued as promo CD singles. Atlantic was very good at including popular hit remixes on these annual comps, so keep this option in mind as a possible resource for those years (eBay, maybe) and for that label, although not suitable for Pat's database due to their commercial unavailability. They'll probably cost you, though.

Edited by jimct on 13 May 2006 at 6:23am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 May 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Nice! Thank you for sharing.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 November 2008 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as atlantic 89336 does not state a version on the label but does list a run time of 4:45, but actually runs 4:44.........so everyone knows, the "hits" cd clips the end of the song, while the 45 fades out completely.....the version on the cd "invisible touch" has the properly fade, non clipped version

Edited by edtop40 on 14 November 2008 at 1:09pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 November 2008 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Just to echo Jim's post above, even though it's over two years old...

When I started work at my college station in 1986, all the pop stuff was on promo 45s; there were no promo CD singles. When I finished in 1990, virtually everything was on promo CD singles, and the promo 45s had dried up. Jim's percentage breakdown above is exactly right!

We were lucky enough to get serviced by Atlantic, and I was lucky enough to nab the Year In Review CDs for those years. A nice perk of the position!

Nice to know I have the entire run of the series - if you want to know what we're talking about, I have scans of the front and back covers and the CDs for all 12 years here - http://crapfromthepast.com/favorites/compilations/atlantic/i ndex.htm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version