Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Isley Brothers - "Fight The Power" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

All the info already in the db on this is correct - I'd just like to add that there's also another different 3:17 "censored" DJ 45 - this one doesn't simply splice out the offending word; it leaves it in, and adds "BEEP" at both the 1:08 and 2:09 marks. It goes "with all that bull shBEEEEEP" goin' down." The "sh" is more prominent on the edit at 2:09 than it is at 1:08. Deadwax is AE - 3ZS8 - 2256-3.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Which brings up this pertinent inquiry. The only copy I have is on the Time-Life Sounds of the Seventies: 1975 Take Two CD, however, I get this lyrically starting at around the (1:05) mark:

"I get knocked off the ground by all this, heeeeyyyy..."

In other words, there's only one part of the song on that CD that needs to be censored (that being at the (2:07) mark).

So I'm guessing from that I do not have the proper 45 version on that CD (the one "s" word is uncensored on mine, but sounds like I should have two). Can someone shed some light?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

Part 2(B-side of the original 45) of "Fight The Power" features an edit of the song that removes the offending word by editing in the first couple of notes of the song in place of the word bull****. The end result is pretty clunky and awkward sounding. The second time he sings BS, it is unedited. This version of the song is featured on an Isleys compilation called "It's Your Thing" released by Sony Special Markets. There's supposed to be a much better radio edit on a TM Century Golddisc compilation. I have a sample CD that demonstrates the edit and it's flawlessly done.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jeff, I've actually looked through TM's catalog to see if they might have issued that censored version. The only thing I can find is a listing for a 3:17-ish version that says "Lyrics!" next to the title. They usually used this to indicate lyrical issues that should be previewed before airing.

Also, I have one of their demo discs where they use "Fight The Power" as an example of how commercial CDs issue uncensored versions of songs. The snippet has the BS word in it, but they never actually do a comparison to show what the censored version sounds like. I know that more than one demo disc is floating around out there. The one I'm referring to has "Money" (Pink Floyd) "Bad Boy" (Miami Sound Machine) "Kiss You All Over" (Exile) etc. Do you know which tracks are on the disc you mention?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

By the way, Jim, the "beeped" version you mention is the only censored 45 I've heard. A friend of mine sent me an edit which replaces the offending word with music from the intro. It's kind of clunky sounding, like Jeff describes above. I don't know if the edit is an official one, or if it's homemade. This is one song, however, that I would like to track down an official non-bleeped but censored version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Aaron, since you mention there being a lyrical edit of "Kiss You All Over" by Exile, what lyrics were edited?

Edited by Pat Downey on 11 May 2006 at 5:26am
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Jeff H. wrote:
Part 2(B-side of the original 45) of "Fight The Power" features an edit of the song that removes the offending word by editing in the first couple of notes of the song in place of the word bull****. The end result is pretty clunky and awkward sounding. The second time he sings BS, it is unedited. This version of the song is featured on an Isleys compilation called "It's Your Thing" released by Sony Special Markets. There's supposed to be a much better radio edit on a TM Century Golddisc compilation. I have a sample CD that demonstrates the edit and it's flawlessly done.

Sounds like it's version I have, but I'm not sure (the edit where the first "bulls**t" should be actually sounds pretty smooth and not clunky).

Anyone else have the T-L CD and can compare to the 45 or the version Jeff describes?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat Downey wrote:
Aaron, since you mention there being a lyrical edit of "Kiss You All Over" by Exile, what lyrics were edited?

No, there are no lyrics edited in "Kiss You All Over." It's just one of the songs on TM Century's demo. Not only do they demonstrate censored songs, but also ones that have superior sound quality, special versions not found on commercial CDs, etc.

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Grant

But, the single of "Kiss You All Over" does have the second verse edited out.

This deserves it's own thread.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

vanmeter
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote vanmeter

aaronk wrote:
Pat Downey wrote:

No, there are no lyrics edited in "Kiss You All Over." It's just one of the songs on TM Century's demo. Not only do they demonstrate censored songs, but also ones that have superior sound quality, special versions not found on commercial CDs, etc.

And on my copy of that TM Century GoldDisc3 sampler with "Kiss You All Over", the channels have time phase issues so the top end gets all messy when summed to mono, even though it sounds great in stereo. Wonder what their source was?
Back to Top View vanmeter's Profile Search for other posts by vanmeter

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

aaronk wrote:
By the way, Jim, the "beeped" version you mention is the only censored 45 I've heard. A friend of mine sent me an edit which replaces the offending word with music from the intro. It's kind of clunky sounding, like Jeff describes above. I don't know if the edit is an official one, or if it's homemade. This is one song, however, that I would like to track down an official non-bleeped but censored version.
Aaron, the other "censored" DJ 45 version has the "sh*t" part of the word spliced out entirely at those two points, instead of adding beeps or, those substituted audio snippets you speak of. I would've thought taking the word out that way would sound poor, and throw the primary beat of the song off, but it works surprisingly well. I thought this one was the one Pat had listed as the "promo censored" version. After the poor attempt you heard on the long v, perhaps T-Neck tried a number of alternatives, and felt this one and the beeped one were the two best censored mixes, and then sent both to radio.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My dj copy is the 5:05 version with "dj reservice" printed on the label and it has "sh*t" beeped out.

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

vanmeter wrote:

And on my copy of that TM Century GoldDisc3 sampler with "Kiss You All Over", the channels have time phase issues so the top end gets all messy when summed to mono, even though it sounds great in stereo. Wonder what their source was?

The source of most of those TM Century GoldDisc CD's are from vinyl records. The recordings unfortunately are processed with Sonic Solutions No Noise, which probably contributes to the phase problems you heard. Since most of those needle drops were done before more sophisticated clean up software was developed, a lot of those tracks sound less than spectacular.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jeff H. wrote:
The source of most of those TM Century GoldDisc CD's are from vinyl records. The recordings unfortunately are processed with Sonic Solutions No Noise, which probably contributes to the phase problems you heard. Since most of those needle drops were done before more sophisticated clean up software was developed, a lot of those tracks sound less than spectacular.

Jeff, you are correct about them dubbing many tracks from vinyl; however, by the time GoldDisc3 was being introduced, many of the songs they were servicing were commercially available on CD. TM went back and remastered many of the discs in their libraries using the available CD sources. I believe needle drops were only used as a last resort.

But yes, they still used Sonic Solutions to remove tape hiss, and they often tinkered with the EQ--lifting the high end and cutting some of the bass. Sometimes their "enhanced" versions didn't have much punch on the low end, and the noise reduction sometimes did more harm than good, IMO.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

sriv94 wrote:
Which brings up this pertinent inquiry. The only copy I have is on the Time-Life Sounds of the Seventies: 1975 Take Two CD, however, I get this lyrically starting at around the (1:05) mark:

"I get knocked off the ground by all this, heeeeyyyy..."

In other words, there's only one part of the song on that CD that needs to be censored (that being at the (2:07) mark).

So I'm guessing from that I do not have the proper 45 version on that CD (the one "s" word is uncensored on mine, but sounds like I should have two). Can someone shed some light?

OK, after doing some more investigating it sounds like the version I have is indeed the same as the one on the SMSP It's Your Thing CD. The snippet that iTunes had available had the uncensored lyric right before the "heeeyyy," indicating that my SotS: 1975 Take Two CD needs the additional note about the first "bulls**t" being edited out.

Does anyone else have the CD so I can confirm whether or not there may be other pressings with the complete 45 version? Pat?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat Downey wrote:
My dj copy is the 5:05 version with "dj reservice" printed on the label and it has "sh*t" beeped out.
Pat: In total, I have 3 different DJ 45s on this: The "beeped" version I detailed earlier, (3:17 stated and actual), which has the (5:05) version on the flip. Another has the stereo (5:05) on both sides, with that "DJ Reservice" tag. The one that chops the word "sh*t" out entirely, music and all, at both (1:08) and (2:08), has this stereo v on both sides of the promo 45; and although both list and are actually (3:18), one side states "DJ Reservice Short Version" - the other says "DJ Reservice Long Version" (even though they're exactly the same!) Deadwax for this one is LB-ZS8-2256-3.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Doug, you have been very unlucky in the cd's you picked up looking for the true 45 version of "Fight The Power". The 45 version is really a very easy to find on cd. I just checked all the cd's in the database so go take another look and pick from the dozen or so that have the true 45 version.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Pat Downey wrote:
Doug, you have been very unlucky in the cd's you picked up looking for the true 45 version of "Fight The Power". The 45 version is really a very easy to find on cd. I just checked all the cd's in the database so go take another look and pick from the dozen or so that have the true 45 version.

That's not luck, that's skill. :)

Well, at least I know I'm not totally bonkers. I'll grab the one from iTunes (off the Ultimate CD), since the true 45 does have the two curse words (then I'll bleep 'em myself :) ).

Thanks for everyone's help.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 November 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jeff H. wrote:
Part 2(B-side of the original 45) of "Fight The Power" features an edit of the song that removes the offending word by editing in the first couple of notes of the song in place of the word bull****.

Was there perhaps more than one commercial "Part 2" of this one? I just played the b-side of the stock copy, and it's basically just the last half of the song. There's no verses at all; it's just the repeated "fight it / fight the power."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 November 2007 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

For the completists, here's a listing of every version of "Fight The Power" that I know of:

1. Promo "Short Version" censored with bleeps (3:17) (1)
2. Promo "Long Version" uncensored (but shorter than LP) (5:05) (1)
3. Promo "DJ Reservice - Short Version" censored without bleeps (3:17) (2)
4. Promo "DJ Reservice - Long Version" censored with bleeps (4:55) (3)
5. Stock 45 version Part 1 (A-side) (3:18)
6. Stock 45 version Part 2 (B-side) (2:50)
7. LP version (5:19)

(1) available on first issued promo 45; "Short Version" is bleeped, while "Long Version" is uncensored on the flip side
(2) available on later issued promo 45; both sides have the censored "Short Version" (no bleeps), even though one side says "Long Version"
(3) available on later issued promo 45; both sides have the censored "Long Version" with bleeps

Edited by aaronk on 25 November 2007 at 11:30pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version