Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: boz scaggs "look what you’ve done to me" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 April 2006 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i think this 45 CAN be edited from the cd/lp version from the "hits" cd.........the 45 and cd versions are the same til the 3:45 mark and then the heavy drums come in and the 45 fades out.........those heavy drums are on the cd version at the 4:20 mark.........i've copied all the data from another post so we can keep all the relative info together.........i ill be emailing an mp3 of the 45 now along with the cd version for all to review....

budaniel
MusicFan

Posts: 88 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 10:24am | IP Logged    

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Hey all. Just curious. Why are so many determined to recreate single edits
of songs? Ever since I was a little kid, and first discovered that very often
my 45s and K-tel records included EDITS of album versions (I think I first
became aware of the situation when I got a full length Village People LP--
only to find my favorite hits were much longer than on my K-tel records!),
my focus has always been to make sure I have the full length version of a
song as it was originally recorded by the artist. Not to say single "mixes"
aren't important to me sometimes (for instance, the single of "Look What
You've Done To Me" by Boz Scaggs includes instrumentation not in the LP
mix), but the idea of an "edit" has always made me feel ripped off! :-)

EdisonLite
MusicFan

Posts: 218 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 11:00am | IP Logged    

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

<the single of "Look What
mix)>

Do you recall what other instrumentation was in that mix? I simply made an edit of the album version and THOUGHT that I had the single version!

But to answer your question, having made some single edits (though not as many as some of the other people on this board), I think for many people they want to hear the version they grew up with, the version they always knew from the radio.

Certainly with single MIXES, they were generally done to sound better and usually contain MORE instrumentation, but why people would want the edited versions of recordings -- I think it's familiarity.

In some cases, the long versions have slowed down sections that don't "feel" like a regular part of the song, like Roger Hodgson's "Had a Dream" -- or just completely different sections. I can only compare it to visiting an old friend -- if you went to visit a friend you hadn't seen in a couple years, and all of a sudden he had a third arm, you'd say, "Get rid of that extra arm!"

edtop40
MusicFan

Posts: 614 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 12:05pm | IP Logged    

myself.........i'm trying to get every top 40 song as it appeared on the charts in it's 45/cassingle/cd sgl version in a digital format.....just my hobby.....as far as an esthetic reason, i DO like the short songs..........my feeling is if you can't say what you have to say in 2 to 3 minutes, your wasting my time.......i have no need for 6, 7, or 10 minute songs......

aaronk
MusicFan

Posts: 620 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 12:19pm | IP Logged    

I agree for the same reasons, especially the point of familiarity that Edisonlite brings up. Also, most of us already have the longer LP versions of these songs, but we want the 45 versions, too. Like Edtop40 said, we're collectors, and some of us are just trying to "complete" our collections by having both the LP and/or 45 versions of songs.

budaniel
MusicFan

Posts: 88 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 1:05pm | IP Logged    

by default, due to so many compilation purchases, I also have both the
single and album versions in many cases. Occasionally, an edit seems
better--take for instance the LP version of Abacab by Genesis--ugh! The
single definitely gets to the point! Of course, I guess part of it for me is a
focus on dance music. But a lot of single edits cut out verses, vocal ad
libs and things such as that--that to me goes beyond just having say an
instrumental intro that's twice as long.

Now, for the boz Scaggs dilemma--in the single version (which I still have
on a K-tel album called The Elite--but really want on CD because the
vinyl pressing was not very good), I believe it's in the break between the
first chorus and the next verse, there is what I guess you could call a sort
of "twanging" instrumentation that is totally missing from the album
version! That's the only reason I still have that k-tel record in my
collection, because every other song on it was long ago replaced on CD.

sriv94
MusicFan

Posts: 265 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 1:34pm | IP Logged    

budaniel wrote:
Now, for the boz Scaggs dilemma--in the single version (which I still have
on a K-tel album called The Elite--but really want on CD because the
vinyl pressing was not very good), I believe it's in the break between the
first chorus and the next verse, there is what I guess you could call a sort
of "twanging" instrumentation that is totally missing from the album
version! That's the only reason I still have that k-tel record in my
collection, because every other song on it was long ago replaced on CD.

I have a couple of CDs with a long version. They do feature a guitar solo during the break between the first chorus and second verse (the solo is repeated in the break between the second chorus and the reprised chorus--much of which was edited out in the single version).

Does that mean that these CDs don't have the true LP version? Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing a version on the radio many years ago without a guitar solo (which was not edited).

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said on your other initial question.

budaniel
MusicFan

Posts: 88 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 2:28pm | IP Logged    

anyone else have the 45 who could clarify what I'm trying to say? The
instrumental break is just completely different on that version as
compared to the LP version.

We might have to start a separate "Look What You've Done To Me" topic
to clear this one up....

budaniel
MusicFan

Posts: 88 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 3:31pm | IP Logged    

ok, I listened at home, and at approximately the 1:50 mark on the single version of "Look What You've Done to Me", the chorus ends and bleeds into a twangy guitar. On the LP version, the chorus background vocals almost fade out into silence, and a very quiet piano then takes over. The twangy guitar finally shows up for the last few notes.

JMD1961
MusicFan

Posts: 49 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 3:47pm | IP Logged    

I'm coming into this one a little late, but felt I should comment on the single/album version discussion.

A lot of my desire to have the 45 version of a song is due to a personal project that I'm working on. Basically, I'm making my own "time-life" series, only trying to one up them, but including ALL the hits from each year. Not just the soft rock, pop, country, R&B and various other styles, but all of them together, just as they appeared on the charts.

So, with the 45 versions, I kill two birds with one stone. First, I get the version that actually charted. And second, since singles generally ran shorter than album tracks, I can get the most "bang for my buck" per CD.

sriv94
MusicFan

Posts: 265 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 4:06pm | IP Logged    

budaniel wrote:
ok, I listened at home, and at approximately the 1:50 mark on the single version of "Look What You've Done to Me", the chorus ends and bleeds into a twangy guitar. On the LP version, the chorus background vocals almost fade out into silence, and a very quiet piano then takes over. The twangy guitar finally shows up for the last few notes.

Hmmm. As stated before, I have two CDs that Pat cites as having the LP version of that song (one runs (5:14), the other (5:12)). In both cases, that guitar solo appears in the break that you mentioned (the guitar solo is also reprised in the break that would've been excised by the single version).

There's a CD with a (5:27) version, which is the Urban Cowboy soundtrack CD. I wonder if that's the version that you have on vinyl (I don't have that CD to note whether or not guitars appear, plus it's 13-15 seconds longer than the other commercially-available versions). And was there a Boz Scaggs LP that had the song that might account for the (5:1x) version (which would have spawned the (4:11) edit)?

Edited by sriv94 on 10 November 2005 at 4:08pm

Brian W.
MusicFan

Posts: 504 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 5:01pm | IP Logged    

As far as the single edits question goes... When you're collecting Hot 100 hits, the single version is the version that charted... they didn't measure album sales. The longer version isn't what the charts are referring to.

Also, just the collector mentality... it's definitely HARDER to collect the single edits, and I suppose it's fun (and aggravating) to have a difficult goal. And because we collectors just need something to be anal-retentive about.

budaniel
MusicFan

Posts: 88 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 5:20pm | IP Logged    

Hm--the "long" version I have IS on the Urban Cowboy soundtrack! So, does that mean that the LP version on other CDs may actually be the version into which the single was edited, which includes the guitar solo? If someone can verify, I will have to pick up one of the other CDs--and that would also mean the Urban Cowboy version is indeed a different version.

Paul Esch
MusicFan

Posts: 87 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 7:19pm | IP Logged    

The version on the Urban Cowboy soundtrack is different from
what is on Hits! because there is no immediate guitar break
after the first chorus; it is a different break before the second verse
starts up. Also, on my vinyl 45 version, the backing vocals are
different. Unlike the soundtrack version, which has female backing
vocals, the 45 version has the Eagles (or at least Frey, Henley and
Schmit) doing the backing vocals. The "Eagles" version is on My
Time: A Boz Scaggs Anthology, although not the 45 length/edit.

Edited by Paul Esch on 10 November 2005 at 7:30pm

budaniel
MusicFan

Posts: 88 Posted: 10 November 2005 at 9:12pm | IP Logged    

thanks so much for the info. My topic actually ended up helping me out. I'm gonna grab that Boz Scaggs anthology.

sriv94
MusicFan

Posts: 265 Posted: 11 November 2005 at 9:58am | IP Logged    

budaniel wrote:
thanks so much for the info. My topic actually ended up helping me out.

Isn't that what we're here for? :)

EdisonLite
MusicFan

Posts: 218 Posted: 25 February 2006 at 10:42pm | IP Logged    

Paul E writes:
<The version on the Urban Cowboy soundtrack is different from
what is on Hits! because there is no immediate guitar break
after the first chorus; it is a different break before the second verse
starts up. Also, on my vinyl 45 version, the backing vocals are
different. Unlike the soundtrack version, which has female backing
vocals, the 45 version has the Eagles (or at least Frey, Henley and
Schmit) doing the backing vocals. The "Eagles" version is on My
Time: A Boz Scaggs Anthology, although not the 45 length/edit.>

Question to Paul E and Budaniel who have this Boz Scaggs "Anthology" box (or anyone else): Can the 45 version be extracted from this "Anthology" version that has the Eagles background vocals?

sriv94
MusicFan

Posts: 265 Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged    

Yes. Remove everything between roughly (3:40) and (4:41) of the Hits! LP version (which is what was used for the anthology) and that should give you the 45.

EdisonLite
MusicFan

Posts: 218 Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:47am | IP Logged    

OK -- that's exactly what I did about 5 years ago -- I used the Hits! CD version to make the edit. I thought the above info was saying that a different version was used to make the single edit (like the Urban Cowboy mix). Glad I already have the right version and don't have to buy a box set for one song (and in this case, what would end up being 3/4 of one song!)

Grant
MusicFan

Posts: 86 Posted: 26 February 2006 at 9:43pm | IP Logged    

budaniel wrote:
Hey all. Just curious. Why are so many determined to recreate single edits
of songs? Ever since I was a little kid, and first discovered that very often
my 45s and K-tel records included EDITS of album versions (I think I first
became aware of the situation when I got a full length Village People LP--
only to find my favorite hits were much longer than on my K-tel records!),
my focus has always been to make sure I have the full length version of a
song as it was originally recorded by the artist. Not to say single "mixes"
aren't important to me sometimes (for instance, the single of "Look What
mix), but the idea of an "edit" has always made me feel ripped off! :-)

Well, I haven't read the other posts yet, so I don't know if it has been mentioned, but K-Tel butchered the 45 edits! They had to in order to cram like 15-18 tracks on one side! So, what you heard on those awful K-tel albums weren't even the singles! It was a rare occasion that you did get close to it.

And, remember that many singles were mixed differently and sound different than the LP versions.

As for single versions themselves, the 45s and radio promos, they were usually what got played on the radio, so we radio listeners got used to hearing the edited versions.   And, some of those edits are superior to the long, drug out LP versions.

And, lastly, it's fun to recreate or collect single versions with our software. Remember, a lot of 45 versions are rare or unique, and need to be preserved just like those LP versions.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Ed, an error happened in your copying and pasting of previous posts. It looks like I am the one that asked why everyone recreates single edits, but I'm one of the ones who recreates single edits (and I don't even own a Village People LP nor do I think an edit is a ripoff). I don't know why I was credited to that post. But I do fully understand why many of us recreate single edits!!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

EdisonLite wrote:
Ed, an error happened in your copying and pasting of previous posts. It looks like I am the one that asked why everyone recreates single edits, but I'm one of the ones who recreates single edits (and I don't even own a Village People LP nor do I think an edit is a ripoff). I don't know why I was credited to that post. But I do fully understand why many of us recreate single edits!!

It's not really an error--the key is to look above the post for who wrote it. :)

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2006 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote jimct

We were playing off of vinyl at KC101FM (New Haven, CT) in 1980 (the bosses didn't like the audio quality of stereo carts at the time), and they preferred playing the then-currents off of LPs in many cases, where little or no differences (to the average ear; not to the "45 version-ologists" on this board, (and BTW, you guys are the best!) and folks like me.) Mainly to avoid cue-burn; jocks are notorious for poor record care. But for "Look What You've Done For Me", we must've gone through a dozen Columbia polystyrene Promo 45s of it. The MD said at the time that the Beach Boys contributed background harmony vocals to the end of the 45 mix that he was told didn't appear on the "Urban Cowboy" soundtrack LP version. Could've just been record promoter hyperbole, but I remember that case specifically, like it was yesterday. Take it for what it's worth, friends.   
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 April 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just successfully created the 45 version from the Hits CD version. As stated above, you need to make the edit from about (3:40) to (4:41), making the edits before the word "leading" in the line "leading me to feel this way." You'll then need to fade out the remaining audio to the (4:04) mark. Note: The 45 copy I have runs slightly slower (about a 1/2%) than the CD version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2006 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

nice job on the edit, aaron..........you are the best.......thx again..........edtop40

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2006 at 2:22am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

jimct wrote:
We were playing off of vinyl at KC101FM (New Haven, CT) in 1980 (the bosses didn't like the audio quality of stereo carts at the time), and they preferred playing the then-currents off of LPs in many cases, where little or no differences (to the average ear; not to the "45 version-ologists" on this board, (and BTW, you guys are the best!) and folks like me.) Mainly to avoid cue-burn; jocks are notorious for poor record care. But for "Look What You've Done For Me", we must've gone through a dozen Columbia polystyrene Promo 45s of it. The MD said at the time that the Beach Boys contributed background harmony vocals to the end of the 45 mix that he was told didn't appear on the "Urban Cowboy" soundtrack LP version. Could've just been record promoter hyperbole, but I remember that case specifically, like it was yesterday. Take it for what it's worth, friends.   

If the MD said the background harmony vocals heard on the 45 version of "Look What You've Done to Me" are the Beach Boys, he was wrong. Those soaring voices are none other than Don Henley, Glenn Frey, and Timothy B. Schmit of the Eagles! :-)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2006 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote torcan

Quote:

As for single versions themselves, the 45s and radio promos, they were usually what got played on the radio, so we radio listeners got used to hearing the edited versions.   And, some of those edits are superior to the long, drug out LP versions.

And, lastly, it's fun to recreate or collect single versions with our software. Remember, a lot of 45 versions are rare or unique, and need to be preserved just like those LP versions.

While I agree that most of the time it was the single edits that were played on the radio, it was always a treat for me when my station would play the full album version. For example, I always heard the full 5:32 version of Bob Seger's "Against the Wind", rather than the 3:45 edit version. At the time I thought the 45 would contain the long version but was surprised when I saw the timing. I ended up buying both the single and later the album (love the artwork on that!)
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 April 2010 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as columbia 11349 of the boz scaggs song "look what you've done to me" states the run time on the label as 4:06 but actually runs 4:04 and is just an edit of the full length 5:14 version......this 45 run time info s/b added to the db.....thanks aaron for making a superb edit years ago for me.....thanks my man!!!

Edited by edtop40 on 11 April 2010 at 4:09pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version