Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: American Oldies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 April 2006 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Here's an interesting issue. Not sure if it's a question, or a warning, though, so bare with me.

A long time ago, when I first started hunting information on oldies on the web, I came across a website that sold "oldies 45's" and offered to put them on CD for you. (I just checked and they still have a website: http://www.americanoldies.com/). Since you actually bought the 45's, they claimed, it was perfectly legal for them to make these CD's for you.

Now, here's the kicker. After making the CD, they gave you two options. One, you could have the 45's mailed to you, at your expense, or two, sale them back to them at 25% of the purchase price. Now, considering how many people were just after the songs anyway, I'd guess it was a safe bet that most of the time, people took option two.

Well, I decided to give this a try. It was a pretty expensive experiment, as you had to buy each 45 (usually for about $3, more for older songs) for each track on a 20-song CD, as well as a processing fee to put in on the CD. To keep the cost down, I decided to just pick songs I needed from 1989. I'm going to guess that the whole thing set me back about $80.

Now, I had assumed that, if these tracks were coming from actual 45's, then I was certain to get the 45 versions, right? Not so. Two tracks I ordered were "Like A Prayer" by Madonna, and "Batdance" by Prince. When the CD came in, I was shocked to hear what was clearly the full LP version of "Batdance". And if that wasn't bad enough, "Like A Prayer" was the butchered version from "The Immaculate Collection".

Anyway, the point of this meandering post is to ask this question. Is it possible that reissue 45's for these two songs actually came out with the version I got on my CD? Personally, I doubt it. I think that the company lied to me, and instead of copying from 45's, they just ripped the songs from existing CDs.

Opinions?
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I got burned by them too, for the exact same reason you did.

However, two of the songs I ordered from them were Chubby Checker's "The Twist" and Question Mark & THe Mysterians' "96 Tears." Unless they got them off bootleg CDs (as the Cameo-Parkway stuff wasn't yet released domestically), they were from vinyl. Everything else came from existing CD sources.

When I openly complained to them, I was given a refund for about 3/4 of the purchase price (the two vinyl songs and two others that I didn't already have a CD copy of I wound up paying for).

Whether reissue 45s for your songs are available is probably moot, given our mutual experiences.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2006 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

Get them on truth in advertising. Find out exactly how their offer is worded and write to the state's Attorney General's office and file a complaint. Give them all the info and the evidence.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 April 2006 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Aside from the fact that them burning the CDs in the first place is illegal, BECAUSE they weren't really burning the records you'd purchased, since they weren't the 45 versions, they were the album versions. And, no, the reissues of those 45s are NOT the album versions.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version