Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: John Anderson - "Swingin’" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 October 2014 at 2:11am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Although I've never been a fan/collector of John Anderson, it certainly struck me as odd when I saw that the original parent album of a gold single from 1983 wasn't listed in the on-line database - surely it must've been released on CD at some point! This one was admittedly a little tougher to investigate, as folks don't seem to document releases by country artists as thoroughly as they do rock acts (especially when they're not of the "superstar" variety). But sure enough, my research indicates that the parent album of "Swingin'", 1982's Wild & Blue, has been issued on CD here in the U.S. not once, but TWICE: First in 1988, on Warner Bros. 23721 (matching the original vinyl LP & cassette). Page on Discogs (although no photos): JOHN ANDERSON - "Wild & Blue" (U.S. CD) After the original Warner Bros. version went out-of-print in the early '90s, it was re-issued in 2006 on S&P 719, remastered by Steve Hoffman, no less. I admit I'm completely unfamiliar w/ the S&P label, but more than one of my on-line sources indicates that it is/was indeed a U.S. label. I know there are several folks here who are also regulars on the Steve Hoffman site/forum, so perhaps someone could step forward and shed some additional light on the S&P label. Page for this re-issue on AllMusic: JOHN ANDERSON - "Wild & Blue" (U.S. CD)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 December 2014 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Unfortunately, I missed it at the time, but it seems that just a couple weeks after leaving my post above, a copy of the 2006 re-issue of Wild & Blue on S&P 719 was listed for auction on eBay. Although it was a promo copy w/ a hole-punch in the UPC (bar) code, it fetched $15.74, so it DOES exist (but is apparently now out-of-print, and therefore, somewhat rare). Here's the listing from late October: JOHN ANDERSON - "Wild & Blue" (U.S. CD)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 December 2014 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

And also it is sourced from the original tapes and
sounds great. If you find another, get it.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 December 2014 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

KentT wrote:
And also it is sourced from the original tapes and sounds great. If you find another, get it.

Thanks for the confirmation, KentT. Because that 2006 re-issue was mastered by Steve Hoffman, I don't doubt that it sounds excellent. But to be honest, other than "Swingin'" - which I've always felt was catchy enough - I'm not familiar w/ anything else by JA, so it's not a CD I'd consider adding to my collection at this time, and I've never really been a huge fan of country music to begin with. However, if you'd be willing to share the actual time of "Swingin'" on S&P 719, I'm sure Pat would add it to the on-line database immediately, as I see that neither CD version of Wild & Blue is included yet. Thanks in advance...

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote KentT

I wish I had the disc at home right now, it's at work.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2015 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I can now confirm that there was indeed an original '80s U.S. CD edition of Wild & Blue. As the Discogs listing that I linked to last October indicates, it was on Warner Bros. 23721-2, despite the scant info and lack of photos on the page there. Over the weekend, I noticed that a used copy had been listed on eBay about two weeks ago now, on August 1: JOHN ANDERSON - "Wild & Blue" (U.S. CD) However, it appears that the seller pulled it early, before it was originally scheduled to end, or received any bids. Three days ago I tried contacting the seller about its availability, but never received a response. However, note that the listing DOES have an excellent photo of the CD itself, and you can clearly make out the catalog no. & the fact that it's a U.S. pressing (see very bottom of disc). But like the 2006 re-issue on S&P, the Warner Bros. originals appear to be fairly rare, but yes, they do exist as well...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version