Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Dave Edmunds - "Slipping Away" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 September 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Another CD that I spotted is missing from the on-line database. Although now long out-of-print, this song's original 1983 parent album, Information, was issued on CD here in the U.S. in the mid to late '80s, on Columbia CK 38651. I don't have the CD myself, but have run across it once or twice over the last five years while out on my record-store travels. (Bought the cassette back when "Slipping Away" was still riding the charts - another forgotten gem!). Photos on Discogs: DAVE EDMUNDS - "Information" (U.S. CD) There also seems to currently be one copy on eBay, if the pre-filled "information" is to be believed: DAVE EDMUNDS - "Information" (U.S. CD)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2014 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I used to own that Columbia CD.

Aside: I'm a huge fan of the Rockpile-era Dave Edmunds/Nick Lowe solo albums, but I didn't really like most of Information. To my ears Information still sounds much more like an ELO album than a Dave Edmunds album.

Still, anything that can get a top 40 hit for Dave Edmunds is OK in my book, and "Slipping Away" is a great single.

For "Slipping Away", there's a differently EQ'd digital clone of Information on Sony's 2-CD Read The Hits (1994), which is a really fantastic collection and should be much cheaper than the Dave Edmunds solo disc.

There's another differently EQ'd digital clone on Realm's 3-CD Greatest Hits Of The '80s Vol. 1 (1995), which has lots of overlap with the songs on Read The Hits. All of the above sound pretty good, considering that the sound on "Slipping Away" is really compressed to begin with.

The sound of "Slipping Away" on Rhino's 2-CD Anthology is excellent, and I used Anthology for my own library, but the others are very close.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 03 October 2014 at 9:05am

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2014 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I still have my original cassette of Information to this day - however, I admit I probably haven't listened to it all the way through in some 25 years, so I don't recall the overall vibe. :-) According to Wikipedia, Jeff Lynne was involved w/ only two of the 11 songs on the album: the title track and "Slipping Away". I have three or four of his solo albums on cassette (same w/ Nick Lowe), as well as Rockpile's Seconds of Pleasure, but don't yet have anything on CD. Overall, though, I generally liked Edmunds' stuff, and wouldn't mind adding the 2-CD Anthology to my collection - just wish it wasn't out-of-print! I'm pretty sure I do have the 2-CD Read the Hits compilation packed away somewhere...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version