Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Poison" - Bell Biv DeVoe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 May 2010 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Regarding Bell Biv DeVoe's "Poison", the database currently states:

(dj copies of this cd single feature the "no ho version" running (4:22) and the "7 inch" version also running (4:22) which is also the LP version)

I just wanted to add that the cassette single runs 4:22 and states "Album Version" on the cardboard sleeve/label.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2015 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Last week it seems I stumbled across a U.S. CD on eBay that's NOT currently listed in the on-line database (don't have it myself). It features not only this song, but two other top 40 hits as well. It's the O.S.T. to Pootie Tang, released on Hollywood 62329 in 2001. The three top 40 hits included:

1990 BELL BIV DeVOE - "Poison" (track 4)
1998 MASTER P - "Make Em' Say Uhh!" (track 5)*
1988 ROGER - "I Want to Be Your Man" (track 8)**

* Spelled as "Make Em Say Ugh" on the back insert of the CD - I assume it's the same song (sorry, not a Master P fan)
** Credited to "Zapp & Roger" on the back insert of the CD

This soundtrack is now out-of-print, although it's not that difficult to find. Here's the listing I came across on eBay, w/ excellent photos of both the front & back: O.S.T. - "Pootie Tang" (U.S. CD)

Upon reading the customer reviews for this soundtrack over on Amazon, it appears there may even be both censored and uncensored versions of this CD, effecting "Poison" (which I believe would warrant a note in the db) and maybe others:

Quote:
Unfortunately, I found that my copy after purchasing it was a 'clean' version, as in the profanity edited out(and the phrase in the song 'Poison' that says 'me and the crew used to do her', the 'do her' was edited out).
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2015 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Pat, I see that you've now added the O.S.T. to Pootie Tang to the db - thanks! I still don't have the CD myself, but as I noted in my previous post above, a customer over on Amazon claimed that his copy of the soundtrack contained a censored version of "Poison", where the words "do her" were edited out from the line "me and the crew used to do her". (That line occurs at the 2:20-2:21 mark of the song, BTW.) If true, that would make it different from the other previously-documented censored version, a.k.a. the "no ho version". So does your copy of Pootie Tang have the "do her" words removed at the 2:21 mark??? And if so, shouldn't that difference warrant some sort of note next to this particular CD in the db??? And furthermore - while I admit it probably wouldn't be fun or a high priority - shouldn't the other 31 CDs currently listed in the db w/ "Poison" be checked to see if by chance they also contain this same censored version???
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 March 2015 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I went through all of the cd's that contain "Poison" and found a "no ho" version on Hip-O B0005330 which is the New Edition Gold cd. The version on O.S.T. Pootie Tang is a unique edit which as far as I know was never released previously. Still need some help identifying the edit of Make Em Say Ugh on the O.S.T. Pootie Tang cd.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 March 2015 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey wrote:
I went through all of the cd's that contain "Poison" and found a "no ho" version on Hip-O B0005330 which is the New Edition Gold cd. The version on O.S.T. Pootie Tang is a unique edit which as far as I know was never released previously.

Wow - that was quick! Glad you at least found the one CD w/ the "no ho version", so it wasn't a complete waste of time, Pat. Now, if only my personal CD collection was as accessible & organized as yours (*sigh*)...

Quote:
Still need some help identifying the edit of Make Em Say Ugh on the O.S.T. Pootie Tang cd.

After a thorough check on both eBay & Discogs across all formats of the single, I'm afraid I couldn't find the origin of (or another source for) the (3:56) censored version that appears on the O.S.T. to Pootie Tang. At this time, I don't own a single CD w/ anything by Master P, so I'm afraid I won't be of any additional help on that one...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version