Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Wouldn’t It Be Nice" - Beach Boys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 May 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I notice in the database that all mono hit version CD appearances of The Beach Boys' "Wouldn't It Be Nice" run 2:21-2:23, while all stereo hit version CD entries run 2:30-2:31. I have a strong feeling the shorter mono length is reflective of the vinyl 45, while the longer stereo length is indicative of the vinyl LP. Does anyone have actual run time info for either? (Perhaps Jim might be able to help us out with the 45 info since he's currently reviewing hits from 1966.)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

My original Capitol 5706 "West Coast" pressing 45 (deadwax 45-55558-F-5) has an actual running time of 2:22, as does my mono reissue "Pet Sounds" LP Capitol N-16156 (deadwax N-1-16156). So the 45 length and vinyl LP length are identical.

The run time of the song on my "Pet Sounds" mono/stereo reissue CD (Capitol 72435-21241-2-1) and "The Very Best Of/Sounds Of Summer" CD (Capitol 72435-82710-2-7) conform with Pat's listings in the database.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I do not think that the song was issued in stereo on any vinyl LP. Rather, the stereo debut was on the "Pet Sounds Sessions" CD box set and then was repeated in the mono/stereo reissue CD referenced above.

The liner notes from the mono/stereo issue make fascinating reading, particularly as to "Wouldn't It Be Nice." The mono mix and stereo mix differ in that the bridge section is sung by Brian Wilson in the stereo mix and by Mike Love in the mono mix.

According to the liner notes: "The bridge originally was sung by Mike during the sessions for the song, and a mixdown was made of the song that included Mike's bridge vocal. But at some later point, Brian decided he was unahppy with Mike's vocal for the bridge and re-recorded it himself, in the process erasing Mike's vocals from the vocal multi-track tape. Then, after mixing down a version with his vocal in the bridge, he decided that he liked Mike's vocal better after all. He literally cut the bridge (with Mike's vocal) from the earlier mono mixdown and spliced it into the finished mono mix in place of his. However, that meant, when it came time for [Mark] Linett to create a stereo mix three decades later, all that survived on the vocal multi-track wa Brian's vocal for the section."

Good stuff!
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for the info, satchdr! So if the stereo mix never appeared on a vinyl LP and features a different vocalist during the bridge than on the mono 45 mix, then this means the stereo mix is technically not the hit version, right?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 22 May 2010 at 10:57pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The first version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was created in the '90s. It had, in fact, been floating around in the '90s, amongst BB collectors/fans, before the first official stereo version was commercially released a few years later.

satchdr, great story!

I agree with Todd that I wouldn't label the stereo version as the "hit version"; however, this song is an unusual case and I wouldn't call it an "alternate mix" either. That unfairly negates its value. I think the best option is to simply have a description under the title that says something like:

All stereo versions come from a mix created in the '90s, which substitutes a bridge lead vocal by Mike Love for one by Brian Wilson.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

A couple of Beach Boys CDs have the stereo version with the bridge lead vocal by Mike Love "flown in". It doesn't sound too bad (but it sounds a little weird with headphones on).
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Really, Andrew? Which CDs?

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 May 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Todd:

I don't have enough specific knowledge to give you correct information. But I'm *pretty sure* 2nd pressings of the stereo 'Pet Sounds' CD & 'Sounds Of Summer' have the "Mike Love flown-in by Mark Linett" version.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 May 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Andrew, these stereo versions you speak of with the Mike Love bridge flown in - do they go to mono for the bridge and then back to stereo for the chorus? (That would be really weird sounding, especially on headphones). Or did they somehow find a way to make the bridge stereo with Mike's voice?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 May 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To EdisonLite:

It's hard to describe; it's like the mono 45 at that bridge is blended with the stereo instrumental passage from the mutitracks.

Andy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version