Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Haircut 100 - "Favourite Shirts" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 August 2009 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I'd noticed that "Love Plus One" was tweaked a little for the 45 release, with a looped portion of the song replacing the extremely downtempo fade on the album version.

FYI, for "Love Plus One": 45 version sounds great on Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 5 and digital clones of it on 18 Modern Rock Classics (2.8 dB quieter) and Retro Lunchbox: Squeeze The Cheeze (3.36 dB quieter), and album version sounds great on Simitar's Number Ones: Eighties Rock, which is probably based on the US version of Pelican West, which I don't own anymore. I foolishly tossed it when I picked up the lousy-sounding Pelican West Plus from Germany.

So, I thought I'd see what happened with the US follow-up single, "Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)". I found mix differences and edit differences, country-to-country.

The album version on Pelican West Plus starts with the rhythm guitar panned hard left. From 1:38-1:50, the drummer switches to a ride cymbal. There are 32 beats of percussion silliness from 1:51-2:04. After the final "wah" at 2:45, there are 24 beats before the final 9-beat finish. The track runs 3:05.

I think the UK 45 version appears on UK's 2-CD Now - Smash Hits Of The 80's (EMI/Virgin CD NOSH 1, 1987). The song structure is the same as the album version, but the mix is a little different. The rhythm guitar is panned center, and the drummer is playing a hi-hat pattern throughout the song, with no ride cymbal break. (Newly-recorded hi-hat track?) The track runs 3:04.

I'm pretty sure the US 45 version is the one on Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 7 and a digital clone on Time-Life's Modern Rock - Early '80s (1 dB quieter). This version uses the same mix as the UK 45 (rhythm guitar centered, hi-hat throughout), but trims the percussion silliness to 16 beats, and adds a little extra loopage (much like "Love Plus One") at the end right before the 9-beat ending. The track runs 3:01.

I know this missed the US pop charts entirely, but it hit #4 in England and is a favorite of us Brit-soul-pop fans. (In the UK this track starts the album; in the US, Arista bumped "Love Plus One" to start it.)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version