Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Wall Of Voodoo - "Mexican Radio" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 August 2009 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

It wasn't in the book (peaked at #58 in 1983), so I thought I'd post my findings here.

I doubt that I.R.S. released the Call Of The West album on CD back in the '80s, but the album version of the song is by far the most common on compilations.

The album version has an all-instrumental intro, with the vocals starting around 0:33. These all run about 4:07. I have the album version on:
  • Sandstone's Rock The First Vol. 4 (1992)
  • Columbia Germany's Rock & Wave Vol. 1 - The Hits From The Underground (1992)
  • The Right Stuff's Sedated In The Eighties (Vol. 1) (1993)
  • EMI's Living In Oblivion Vol. 4 (1994)
  • Big Ear Music's Only In The 80's Vol. 2 (1995)
  • Time-Life's Modern Rock - 1982-1983 (1999)
  • EMI/Capitol Special Markets' Hidden Treasures (2000)
The sound really isn't bad on any of the above CDs, but I cast my vote for Living In Oblivion.

I discovered that the 45 is a different mix, with some obvious and some not-so-obvious differences.

The first and most obvious difference is that the 45 has a bunch of Spanish talking over the intro. The vocals kick in around 0:21 on the 45, 16 beats before they kick in on the album version. The Spanish talking is different leading into the "I wish I was in Tijuana" part. The "I wish I was in Tijuana" vocals have different effects on every other line on the album version - all the lines sound the same on the 45.

The 45 version runs about 3:55 on these two CDs:
  • Priority's Rock Of The '80s Vol. 3 (1992)
  • Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 8 (1994 - sounds a little better than the Priority CD)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version