Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Les Crane - "Desiderata" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 May 2009 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote jrjr

promo singe WB 7520, mono/stereo, time both sides, 3:58, list the song title as "THE Desiderata"... the song starts out with a bad edit of the LP version and credits composition to producer Fred Werner... history tell us, however, that "Desiderata" was a poen written by Max Ehrmann in 1908... seems like 1971 was a big year for spoken-record hit singles... anyone checked out "Once they Understand" by Think, lately???
Back to Top View jrjr's Profile Search for other posts by jrjr

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The song by Think has been on collector's lists for decades from what I've read.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote jrjr

sorry about that: it's actually "Once You Understand" by Think... it's beyond me why that song in a collector's item... it's rather lame...

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

The only version of "Desiderata" I ever played or heard up until the Napster era was the 45; hence the extra humor in the "you are a fluke of the universe" intro on National Lampoon's "Deteriorata" was lost on me for all those years. Can't say as I ever thought the Crane 45 started out with a bad edit.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I use the Think song as a torture device on the air! (Along with "Dear Mr. Jesus", which we've covered in another thread...)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote jrjr

on the stereo side of the promo 45, there's clearly a tad of the LP intro which they didn't exorcise with a sharp enough razor blade: it's not much but it's there (listen on cans)... the version i have of Think was obtained by a pal from unknown (to me) sources and is mono... but, i have also heard a stereo version on youtube... if anyone cares, is there a difference? hey, crapfromthepast, how about adding "the teddy bear song" to your on air torure devices?!?

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 May 2009 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I have the stereo Once You Understand from a vinyl dub from a collector friend. Sounds nice (well....).

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 May 2009 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

eriejwg wrote:
The song by Think has been on collector's lists for decades from what I've read.

"Once You Understand" is apparently available on the Ace import CD Dead! The Grim Reaper's Greatest Hits.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 May 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

jrjr wrote:
sorry about that: it's actually "Once You Understand" by Think... it's beyond me why that song in a collector's item... it's rather lame...

What's even harder to "understand" is why this was re-issued in (I think) 1974. I'll have to check in my awful-records-I-never-listen-to-but-can't-bring-myself-to-th row-out box, but I'm pretty sure I have it on an Atlantic-distributed Big Tree single.

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

Exactly right!
I found a never played promo copy at one of the stations we purchased a few years ago.
1971 seemed to be the end of spoken-word stuff until "The Americans" in 1974.
The only 1971 spoken word record that still stops me in my tracks is Tom Clay's "What the World Needs Now."
I was eight years old when I heard it back then and it still packs a lot of emotion.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

After 10+ years of dormancy...

Not sure what the opening note of the actual 45 sounds like.

The 45 version on Varese Sarabande's Dick Bartley On The Radio Vol. 3 (1998) starts really cleanly. Same for Time-Life's AM Gold Vol. 31 Mellow Hits Of The '70s (2000), which is digitally exactly 2 dB quieter.

The corresponding location in the LP version (I have it on Reader's Digest's 4-CD American Pie (1998)) has the tail end of a long note held from the 18-second intro. The Varese 45 version can't be edited down from the LP version because of that note.

I'm not sure exactly what to do with that information.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2019 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

good catch, Ron.

So, we'd need a 45 to see if the start is clean, like it is on the CD
"Dick Bartley On The Radio Vol. 3". Anyone have?

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2019 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

As jrjr mentioned upthread, the 45 does start with an off-kilter edit, but it's because the vocals in the left and right channels aren't in sync at that exact spot. They begin in the right channel a hair before they do in the left, and if you trim both channels to where the left channel vocal kicks in, the result is a chopped-off intro. Consequently, there's a hanging chad of that album version note in the left channel's open, which, although it sounds a bit choppy, definitely sounds better than being Marie Antoinetted. In any case, the left channel does not begin with a clear harpsichord note (if that's what it is.)

It's the same on the mono side of the promo 45, but since the channels are summed together, it isn't all that obvious. Having only played the stereo side on mono AM back in the day, I never noticed that anything nefarious was underfoot.

The On The Radio Volume 3 CD track begins with a clear and distinct harpsichord note in the left channel, and both vocal tracks are in sync. Here's what the Varese folks did: they excised the initial "Desider..." from the 45's cold opening, then copied the next, similar "Desider..." segment that begins at about six seconds into the 45 (about 1.125 in length) and pasted it in place of the initial one. They did a seamless job, and it really does improve the edit.

However - as the official T40MOCD laws have long decreed - it ain't the 45.

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

My stock 45 of "Desiderata" (green label 7520 - matrix PCA0553 S) is stereo and has a clean start.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version