Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: New George Harrison Compilation Coming Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 May 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Press release:

GEORGE HARRISON’S FIRST-EVER CAREER-SPANNING SOLO HITS COLLECTION, ‘LET IT ROLL: SONGS BY GEORGE HARRISON,’
TO BE RELEASED JUNE 16 BY CAPITOL/EMI

Collection Features Harrison’s Solo Hits from 1970’s All Things Must Pass Through 2002’s Brainwashed, Remastered, Plus Live Recordings from 1971 Concert For Bangladesh

Hollywood, California – May 5, 2009 – Capitol/EMI confirms the tracklist for George Harrison’s first-ever career-spanning solo hits collection, Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison. To be released June 16 (June 15 internationally), the CD’s special packaging includes a 28-page booklet featuring previously unseen and rare photos, and newly-written liner notes by Warren Zanes. The collection’s 19 tracks have been digitally remastered by Giles Martin at EMI’s Abbey Road Studios, and will be available in CD and digital formats.

“Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison is a gathering of material that takes us far into the territory that was ultimately a place unique to George Harrison,” writes Warren Zanes in his liner notes essay for the new collection.

This collection is the first to span Harrison’s entire solo recording career, including the #1 Billboard Pop singles “My Sweet Lord,” “Isn’t It A Pity,” “Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth),” and “Got My Mind Set On You." Let It Roll also features live recordings of three timeless Harrison-penned Beatles songs, “Something,” “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” and “Here Comes The Sun,” from his 1971 all-star Concert For Bangladesh benefit at Madison Square Garden.

“The keyhole into the world of George Harrison is the music itself. Yet his songs and the accomplishments for which he’s remembered are inextricably bound—and those accomplishments are, without question, eclectic in scope,” Zanes writes.

George Harrison is a twice-inducted member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as a solo artist and as a member of The Beatles, and an 11-time Grammy Award winner for his recordings with The Beatles, Traveling Wilburys, and as a solo artist. On April 14, Harrison was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles.

www.georgeharrison.com

Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison (CD, digital)

1. Got My Mind Set On You
2. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)
3. The Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)
4. My Sweet Lord
5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps [Live] - Concert For Bangladesh
6. All Things Must Pass
7. Any Road
8. This Is Love
9. All Those Years Ago
10. Marwa Blues
11. What Is Life
12. Rising Sun
13. When We Was Fab
14. Something [Live] - Concert For Bangladesh
15. Blow Away
16. Cheer Down
17. Here Comes The Sun [Live] - Concert For Bangladesh
18. I Don’t Want To Do It
19. Isn’t It A Pity

Edited by Bill Cahill on 15 May 2009 at 1:34pm
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2009 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Nice to hear this, however, as per the usual with best of/hits comps, several key hits are missing. Would have been nice to have more remastered hits (assuming of course, the remastering is A+).

Edited by davidclark on 15 May 2009 at 2:35pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2009 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

It's a shame it doesn't have "You", "This Song", "Ding Dong; Ding Dong" and "Crackerbox Palace!" And all were top 40 hits - more succesful than several of the songs on the comp.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

EdisonLite wrote:
It's a shame it doesn't have "You", "This Song", "Ding Dong; Ding Dong" and "Crackerbox Palace!" And all were top 40 hits - more succesful than several of the songs on the comp.

Also missing from this compilation is the top 40 charter "Dark Horse."

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2009 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Another good one missing!

On the plus side, the CD does contain "I Don't Want to Do It", which if I recall was an off-label 45 (Warner Brothers), and I think this may be the 1st CD release of this song.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2009 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

EdisonLite wrote:

On the plus side, the CD does contain "I Don't Want to Do It", which if I recall was an off-label 45 (Warner Brothers), and I think this may be the 1st CD release of this song.

Just checked and the commercial 1985 vinyl 45 of "I Don't Want To Do It" was on Columbia 38-04887 (written by Dylan). The flip side was Dave Edmunds' remake of "Queen Of The Hop." Both tracks from the Columbia soundtrack of "Porky's Revenge." I agree, it will be nice to finally get this song on compact disc.

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 20 May 2009 at 10:41am

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I have an advance copy of the CD and it matches the list in the press release. The notes say "remastered by Giles Martin at Abby Road Studios". At least my copy doesn't really seem to be an improvement on any of the tracks, at least in comparison to the remasters that have been done already.

But, my advance looks like a CDR, so either some digital compression might have happened along the way to production of the advance CD, or Giles went a little further than I would have on the noise reduction. Seems to lack a bit of punch on the older material.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2016 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Santi Paradoa wrote:
EdisonLite wrote:

Just checked and the commercial 1985 vinyl 45 of "I Don't Want To Do It" was on Columbia 38-04887 (written by Dylan). The flip side was Dave Edmunds' remake of "Queen Of The Hop." Both tracks from the Columbia soundtrack of "Porky's Revenge." I agree, it will be nice to finally get this song on compact disc.
Just noticed the version of this song on CD is the soundtrack LP version which has an organ solo in the middle. The 45 has a guitar solo instead of the organ.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2016 at 12:37am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I guess that means that's another single version that's never been on CD.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version