Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Tonight’s the Night..." - Rod Stewart Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 March 2009 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

There's an edited version of Rod Stewart's "Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright)" on two database CDs that is also missing the closing female overdubs. Out of curiosity, was this version ever issued on a promo 45? I'm too young to remember if it got any airplay on Top 40 radio, but I've heard soft rock stations play it from time to time over the years (they likely spun it directly from the Greatest Hits album). I actually like the edited version's ending better with just the instrumentation and minus the French female's bombastic cooing.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, just responding off the top of my head here, I remember many years ago at my station changing the "source" of that song from his "A Night On The Town" album to his "Greatest Hits" album in our main studio, not thinking that the ending was any big deal while trying to free up a source # for a newly-added song. Within days, one of our lovable-but-always-opinionated air personalities wrote up a "music discrepancy", wondering, "why have we swapped out the definitive, classic Britt Ekland LP version of this song in favor of the vastly inferior, no-Britt 45 version?" Being no big deal to me, I immediately put the LP version back in rotation! (I have a feeling that same jock wouldn't have liked you very much either, Todd! :)   ) My memory always was that the 45 faded out before Britt Ekland. I haven't pulled my 45 out tonight to compare, but I'm 90% sure about it.

Edited by jimct on 20 March 2009 at 12:38am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 5:17am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Nope, she's on the 45 too.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

For what it's worth, I should emphasize that I have no problem whatsoever with sexy female voices on recordings. ;-) This is just one case where I think the song's ending works better without one, but I'm sure my opinion probably represents a minority!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

My recollection is that Rod and Britt split and she sued for royalties on Tonight's the Night, so Rod or the label just took her off the Greatest Hits LP version. So she was always there on the promo 45, stock 45, and original LP. It was on Greatest Hits that she was excised.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 20 March 2009 at 6:58am
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Thanks for the correct, additional details, Steve and Bill. When I first read Todd's post, I was just about to hit the hay and didn't have the energy left to put the "hard hat" on and troll through/locate the correct 1976 45 box and listen to it at that instant. Thanks also for confirming that Britt wasn't on the Greatest Hits LP version. And now that you mention it, I do remember the ugly split/royalty lawsuit that Rod and Ekland had, which explains it.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version