Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Sam Cooke-"Sugar Dumpling" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 March 2009 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, I remember that early CD pressings of the released-in-1998 Sam Cooke CD "Greatest Hits" (RCA 67605) had a few different tracks included than later pressings did (such as "Another Saturday Night", as you already have indicated in the database.) I also own this early pressing, and this CD also includes the database entry "Sugar Dumpling". It is Track 16, and states (Original Version) after the title on the jewel case insert. The liner notes further references this version, stating the inclusion of what they declare to be: "The superior original arrangement is included here". Upon further research, the version they refer to was first included on his mid-1962 LP, "Twistin' The Night Away". This version is (S), and runs (2:15). There is currently no reference in the database for the song on this CD. The released-after-his-death, charted-in-mid-1965, "hit" version was re-recorded by Cooke on 9/11/63. This version appears on his ABKCO "Keep Movin' On" CD, as you already have noted in the database. I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that recorded/released versions of "Sugar Dumpling" were done in both 1962 and 1963, and that if you think you may have the "hit" version on the RCA 67605 CD, you don't, as the database does not currently specify that there are both "hit" and "non-hit" versions of this song issued on U.S. CD's.

Edited by jimct on 20 March 2009 at 12:18am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 August 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45 (confirmed as RCA 8631, with machine-stamped deadwax of "R4KM-0896--2S") has a listed time of (2:39) and an actual time of (2:38). I only post this info because, although a very-hard-to-find CD released way back in the 80's (on the "Special Music" label) does happen to include a (2:37) version of the "hit" version, all 3 of the later-issued, much more common CDs that features the hit version all run slightly longer, at (2:42).

Edited by jimct on 07 August 2010 at 12:59am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version