Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Luther Vandross - She Won’t Talk To Me Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 May 2008 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The only version on domestic CD is the LP version; however, the only difference on the 45 is that the first 15 seconds have been edited off. The 45 starts with the snare hits after the string plucking sound.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Funny you bring up this song, Aaron, because I was just reviewing it last night. I believe there is at least a :03 difference between the printed and actual commercial 45 run time. I'm at work right now so I don't have actual 45 run time info in front of me at the moment (I can provide it later), but does anyone have info regarding the printed time?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Aaron - You're correct in that the 45 lops off the intro, and it indeed starts where you say it does. (So no need to post editing instructions like I usually do...)

Todd - I have the 45, and it has a printed time of 4:12 on the label. The fade on the 45 is about 2 or 3 seconds shorter than the LP fade - both versions seem to have their fades start at the same point in the song.

I have the 45 version on Hitmakers Vol. 14 December 9, 1988, and it runs 4:15. It runs a teeny bit faster than my LP version (honestly can't remember which CD I took this from, but I think it was one of the late '80s CBS Special Products/K-Tel 10-track compilations), which shortens it by about 1.6 seconds over the length of the song. Not too significant.

I haven't played the actual 45 for timing, though.

And, might I add, one of the very best pop records of 1989. The guys in Calloway must have been inspired by Luther, because 1990's "I Wanna Be Rich" owes quite a bit to this song.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ron:

Thanks for confirming the 4:12 printed 45 label time. I've timed my 45 dub and come up with an actual time of 4:15, so my suspicion was correct that there is a :03 difference between the two.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 January 2009 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

Just a reminder that Luther Vandross' "She Won't Talk to Me" has an actual commercial 45 run time of 4:15, not 4:12 as stated on the record label. This info should probably be noted in the database.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version