Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Sledgehammer Promo Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 May 2008 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Now this is a terrific forum.

Does anyone know if it is still to possible to track down the promo edit of Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel. It removes the "Gabrielese" from between the opening horn section and the first verse (great for hitting posts on the air), and there is an edit in the second verse, and at the end.

Is this record still in existence. Or are there CD reissues of it? And hopefully, ones that aren't sibilant.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

It's not on CD yet as far as I know and is a pain to re-create because I believe it involves a crossfade.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I recall that being on a TM Century disc that also included that hard to find "at that time" live version of "Mony Mony" from Billy Idol.
We used it at a station I worked for in those days.
Jody you're correct about the edits.
If only Gabriel's original 45 version of "In Your Eyes" could be located!

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Bill Cahill wrote:
It's not on CD yet as far as I know and is a pain to re-create because I believe it involves a crossfade.

I did manage to recreate something quite close to it, but that first edit required me to make 17 little tiny edits. I used the LP and 12" versions together. I took the accapella "You Could Have A..." from the second verse, and layered different tracks of the music together from the existing LP and 12" single on that one-second spot. The only thing I would say that ends up as "non-authentic", other than the transitional bass notes sound a little sloppy, is that there is an additional snare-drum hit. All-in-all, I was impressed with what I re-created.

I wish there was a way to upload a low-quality sample to share it. Still, this is a great forum guys.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jody, welcome to the forum. In regards to a custom edit, it cannot be done because of the unique intro, which is not actually a crossfade. The producer of that version had to go back to the multi-tracks to overlap the first verse vocals with the music of the intro. I have a seamless version that borrows a short section from a mint copy of the promo 45.

By the way, the version on TM Century's library is not correct. They tried to re-create it using a crossfade, which does not work.

In regards to "In Your Eyes," the best sounding copy I have is from the 12" single. If you can find one in nice shape, the sound quality is superb (played on a nice turntable/stylus). The 12" plays at 45 RPM, which is about the best we'll get until they issue it on CD from the master tape.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Oh I understand and know that it was actually achieved by resorting to the multi-track tape and then remixed down again. As I said I created an approximation of it. Still I think you'd be impressed with what I came up with. I didn't cross-fade; instead I layered it from two different records. I am so glad for digital editing - I couldn't imagine pulling this off with half-track analog....lol! Like I said, I wish I could share it. (sorry, I'm just proud of what I managed to pull off...lol)

So "In Your Eyes" on 45 isn't the radio single?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

"In Your Eyes" was released on promo 45 in a shorter, remixed version than what was on the stock 45. The radio promo is under 5:00, while the stock 45 version is over 6:00.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

By the way, Jody, my reply above was in regard to all the other comments in the thread, but it probably looked like a reply to only you. I apologize for the confusion. My crossfade details were in regard to Bill's comment.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Oh no, never worry - I understand! And, hey - nothing wrong with good debate. That's one way we all learn.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Very true! In re-reading my post above (apparently I'm brain dead tonight), I should clarify that the promo and stock 45 have the same remix. It's confusing the way I wrote it above. To summarize "In Your Eyes":

LP version
45 version (remixed)
promo 45 (remixed, edited)

That's what I meant to say!

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 May 2008 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Well, if anyone knows where to get the true "Sledgehammer" promo - I'd be VERY happy. I like rare radio singles. I knew at the time that it came on a small-hole Geffen 7" promo in the US, and on a 12" Promo in the UK. I notice every cut of it I've heard has been somewhat sibilant. So I hope that has just been the result of mistracking, and the engineer who edited it just didn't overload the sub-master tape.

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 May 2008 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote RichM921

I might have the version you are looking for on the "A List" '80s collection. The intro goes directly into "You could have a ski train" at 19 seconds. This version fades out at about 4:01.

If anyone needs a copy for evaluation purposes, let me know.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

promojunkie
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote promojunkie

Bumping up this old thread to see if the true 4:02 promo
45 version of Sledgehammer has surfaced on cd after all
these years. I have the botched crossfade effort from
tm century and a dub of my very sibilant 45 promo. I'd
still like to get this on cd. Anyone have any updates?

Edited by promojunkie on 21 June 2021 at 11:15am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 June 2021 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Check your email, Rick.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version