Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Edie Brickell - What I Am Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 June 2005 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The book indicates "LP Version" next to all instances of Edie Brickell & New Bohemians "What I Am." Copies of the cassette single have the LP Version, so I am wondering if the 3:39 "edit" was only on promo 45s, or if they used this for the commercial 45, too.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 June 2005 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Whitburn lists the running time as 4:54 so the 3:39 edit must be a promo only edit.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 June 2005 at 1:06am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

This, of course, means that you should remove the comment "LP Version" next to these instances in the book :)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 January 2007 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

Can anyone describe the DJ edit? Or if anyone can send a dub, I volunteer to
do a clinical A/B report.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 January 2007 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

"Dr. Eric", I will shoot the promo CD single over to your "clinic" no later than tomorrow night, so prepare the operating room!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

I never realized how simple the song structure was - one verse, one chorus and repeat!   

Here are the edits I found. All times reference the original LP version.

Start at 0:00.

1 - Cut from 0:11 to 0:21. (Removing first "I'm not aware...")

2 - Cut from 1:53 to 2:04. (Cut at "-fore")*

3 - Cut from 2:31 to 2:42 (Cut 4 bars between chorus and guitar solo)

4 - Cut from 2:55 to 3:06 (Cut on downbeat after held note)

5 - Cut from 3:34 to 3:45 (Cut between beats 2 and 3)

Start fade at 3:25 of edit, until 3:43.

* Note - since most of the cuts remove one or more repeated lines (e.g. "Shove me in..."), the exact location of some cuts are hard to discern, even watching the waveforms carefully.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

This probably interests no-one but me, but the edit was used in Canada for the commercial 45.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote torcan

Paul C wrote:
This probably interests no-one but me, but the edit was used in Canada for the commercial 45.

Paul's right. Warner/Geffen were in a habit in the late '80s of using the promo-edits on commercial 45s in Canada - but not on every title.

Cases in point: Guns N Roses "Sweet Child of Mine" was released with a 3:57 edit on the Canadian 45, but the group's "Patience" and "Paradise City" were released in their full 5:53 and 6:46 versions respectively, despite the fact edits on those songs were available.

Go figure...
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

torcan wrote:
]"Patience" and "Paradise City" were released in their full 5:53 and 6:46 versions respectively, despite the fact edits on those songs were available.

Torcan, I've never seen edits of these songs anywhere. I seem to recall the US promo 45s also having the full LP versions on them. Do you know where these edits are available?

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2007 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote torcan

aaronk wrote:
[QUOTE=torcan] ]
Torcan, I've never seen edits of these songs anywhere. I seem to recall the US promo 45s also having the full LP versions on them. Do you know where these edits are available?

Well...maybe I mis-spoke. Fred Bronson mentions in the "Billboard Book of No. 1 Hits" that the band wasn't happy with the edits on those songs, and that was during the time that they were still releasing promos on vinyl. "Sweet Child o Mine" and "Welcome to the Jungle" had shorter versions on their promo 45s, and those other songs weren't too long after that.

Maybe I should throw the question out to the group: were the edits of "Patience" and "Paradise City" on CD-promo only?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2007 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote jimct

I only own a promo CD single for "Patience", and it features just one track on it, the LP version. I only own a promo 45 for "Paradise City", and it features the LP version on both sides. I would conclude that there is serious doubt surrounding the legitimacy of any existing "short versions" being an "official" label release, for either of these songs.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 January 2007 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

torcan wrote:
"Sweet Child o Mine" and "Welcome to the Jungle" had shorter versions on their promo 45s....

You are correct about "Sweet Child O' Mine" being shorter (and remixed) on the promo CDs & 45s; however, the US promo 45 for "Welcome To The Jungle" says "LP Version" on the label---printed time of 4:31---both sides. Was there another promo 45 for this one?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2007 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

For what it's worth, I have never heard anything but the LP version of "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Paradise City" played on the radio. If any station has played an edit, then it was probably a homemade one created "in-house" and not an official one, as Jim speculated.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2007 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Guys, at the very start of their success, GNR was plastered all over MTV, their LP was selling huge, but Top 40 radio wouldn't even TOUCH the band. This became Geffen's initial radio strategy. The first 45 we EVER got in for GNR was "Welcome...". This promo-only issue (PRO-S-3094) also had a unique, promo-only sleeve, stating "Don't Report This Record." Labels would normally never say this, but Geffen was tryin' to make the point that "we're selling mega-product without you here, radio, so why don't you just go ahead and play it on-the-air secretly - we don't need it to actually show up on the charts!" This first promo 45 issue has the LP Version on both sides. Then, "Sweet Child O'Mine" hit big. Next, another promo 45 issue for "Welcome...". Obviously, now that the Top 40 radio "worm had turned" for the band, the "Don't Report..." marketing strategy, and the old promo 45 pic sleeve stating such, were abandoned this time around. But, this new Geffen promo 45 issue, 7-27759-A, also features the (4:31) LP Version on both sides.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 12:12am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jim, your memory of these details does nothing short of amazing me.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 2:07am | IP Logged Quote jimct

I just didn't know how to explain why there were 2 different promo issues for it, without telling the story! Still having all the original vinyl/CDs in my collection REALLY helps jog the memory when someone asks a question. Thanks, buddy....you da man!

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote torcan

Thanks jimct, you've cleared up a lot! I'd love to see your massive collection one day!! :)

The reason I stated there was a shorter version of "Welcome to the Jungle" is that I thought the Canadian 45 had an edit on it; but only having the US 45 in my collection I was just going by memory. Maybe I mis-remembered it!

I'll try to hunt down the Canadian 45, and if/when I find it I'll report back if it was different than the US 45.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 August 2014 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Bringing this thread back on topic, I recently acquired another promo CD single for "What I Am," and I'll post details of both:

PRO-CD-3221
1. LP Version (listed 4:54; actual 4:56)

PRO-CD-3314
1. Edit (listed 3:39; actual 3:43)

Edited by aaronk on 11 August 2014 at 4:59pm

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 November 2023 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

I mentioned on another thread about a Cher parody I heard years ago on a Top 40 Station in Philly and I remembered two very short
parodies of this song by Edie Brickell they played a few times. It was only a couple of lines being sung by someone who sounded like
Edie. The first one went, "I'm not aware of too many things, my head's full of air and you know I can't sing". The other one said,
"What I write is really trite/do these lyrics bite or what?". Anyone hear/remember those?

nlgbbbblth
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 November 2023 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote nlgbbbblth

In Europe, the 3.39 edit was on 7" singles

I have it on CD on this compilation - great series (have
the first 15 releases)
https://www.discogs.com/release/2497360-Various-The-Bride-
Of-Post-Modern
Back to Top View nlgbbbblth's Profile Search for other posts by nlgbbbblth Visit nlgbbbblth's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version