Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Bobby Brown - Every Little Step Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 June 2005 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here's one where my book does not distinguish between the LP Version and 45 Version... Bobby Brown's "Every Little Step."

The 45 uses a far superior remixed version, which has been available on a couple of CDs, including Bobby Brown's "Greatest Hits" and New Edition's "All The Number Ones." (New Edition Solo Hits uses the LP Version.)

However, I remember my local top 40 station (and I think the video) using the version "with rap," which was the same mix but about 45 seconds longer. To my knowledge, this version was on the b-side to the 45, and I believe it has yet to appear on a full-length domestic CD. In fact, I think the only source on CD for the "with rap" version is the US promo single (which I have never seen) and some hard-to-find import singles.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2005 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Huh! I didn't know that the "No rap" version was the A-side. Very interesting... and strange, since the rap version was the video mix. Now that I think about it, seems like I did know that at one point, but I'd forgotten over the years.

I do have it on the original promo CD single (MCA CD 45 17768). On the promo they don't even indicate "rap" or "no rap." The tracks are called:

1. Every Little Step (actual 3:56, incorrectly listed as 4:02) [this is the no rap remix]
2. Every Little Step (Radio Edit - actual 4:44, incorrectly listed as 4:51) [rap version]
3. Every Little Step (Extended Version - actual 7:44, incorrectly listed as 7:550

I agree that the 45 mix is better overall, but one thing I hate about it is it forgoes the perfectly good second verse from the LP version and sustitutes a different take of the first verse -- so the first and second verses are lyrically the same. Very bizarre choice. Even the extended remix does not have the second verse from the LP!

Anyway, I just listened, and it's not possible to recreate the "no rap" version from the standard "rap" version. Right at the point where the rap would come in, it continues "We'll be together, girl," which segues into that strange "cobra flute" sounds.

I also have the Extended Version on a strange item I got from Japan called the "Bobby Brown Re-mix Box." It's a gold anodized metal box, issued in 1990, holding 5-inch CD reproductions of all the 12" singles from his first album, plus "On Our Own" and an interview disc. They're all in card picture card sleeves, reproductions of the 12" single sleeves, and the discs match what was on the Japanese 12" singles. The 45 versions aren't on any of the CDs in the box, but what's interesting is that, in addition to the extended versions, several of them have EDITS of the dance remixes that to my knowledge were unissued elsewhere on CD. "My Prerogative," "Roni," and "On Our Own" all have remixed Radio Edits.

The song "Don't Be Cruel" was not remixed when first released, but the UK edition of "Dance -- Ya Know It" contained a remix of the song that was not on the US version, and a CD single was released in the UK that had an edit of that.

Edited by Brian W. on 29 June 2005 at 1:50am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 June 2008 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

As the run time info:
The actual 45 running time is (3:55), the listed time is "4:02" on the record label. (MCA 53618)
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2018 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

If anyone here can figure this out, I seem to have a version of Every Little Step that starts out with regular beats unlike the single version and you hear Bobby say the Good Lovin' line but then it completely omits the "Now, Now calm down love!" in the regular single version and runs 3:56. I have had this version in the my collection for some time just wanted to identify it properly.

This is the exact version I have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALxxkcziA9o
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 October 2018 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

That's the album version.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version