Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Happy New Year everyone! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 January 2008 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Here's hoping 2008 will bring us all many, previously unavailable, 45 versions on CD!
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 January 2008 at 2:46am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thank you, you too!

Edited by Brian W. on 01 January 2008 at 2:46am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 January 2008 at 3:18am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Just be sure you're obtaining your 45 versions on original CDs and that you're not creating your own. Check this out from foxnews.com:

"You, too, could be sued for thousands of dollars by the major record companies — even if you've never once illegally downloaded music.

That's because at least one lawyer for the Recording Industry Association of America, the Big Four record companies' lobbying arm and primary legal weapon, considers the copying of songs from your own CDs to your own computer, for your own personal use, to be just as illegal as posting them online for all to share, according to a federal lawsuit filed in Arizona...'It is undisputed that Defendant possessed unauthorized copies of Plaintiffs' copyrighted sound recordings on his computer,' the brief states. 'Virtually all of the sound recordings on Exhibit B are in the '.mp3' format. ... Defendant admitted that he converted these sound recordings from their original format to the .mp3 format for his and his wife's use. ... Once Defendant converted Plaintiffs' recording into the compressed .mp3 format and they are in his shared folder, they are no longer the authorized copies distributed by Plaintiffs.'"

What a crock! That would mean anyone who owns an mp3 player can be sued, even if they purchased all of their music from iTunes. Going by what this lawyer is saying, you wouldn't be able to copy your legally downloaded music to the mp3 player, because they would become an unauthorized copy.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Bringing this decade old thread back to wish the entire board lots of health and happiness in 2019. I learn so much from all of the knowledgeable and friendly members here. Stay safe everyone.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Happy New Year!

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Likewise: Happy New Year! Noisemakers are on the house!

Aaron, I got a big laugh out of that 11-year-old RIAA police story. Talk about small potatoes now. I attended a show last night by the Killer Vees, which consisted of Boby Vee's sons, nephew and grandkids. They showed a film of a Chicago newspaper reporter taking Bobby's hit "Stayin' In" to task for the implied violence and no doubt other malicious juvenile intent over the line "I punched my buddy in the nose after lunch; now I'm in trouble 'cause the dean saw the punch."

After it ran and before the band launched into the song, Tommy Vee quipped, "considering what's out there these days, they thought *that* was grounds for banning the song from the radio?"

Edited by Yah Shure on 31 December 2018 at 7:33pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

aaronk wrote:
Just be sure you're obtaining your 45 versions on original CDs and that you're not creating your own. Check this out from foxnews.com:

"You, too, could be sued for thousands of dollars by the major record companies — even if you've never once illegally downloaded music.

That's because at least one lawyer for the Recording Industry Association of America, the Big Four record companies' lobbying arm and primary legal weapon, considers the copying of songs from your own CDs to your own computer, for your own personal use, to be just as illegal as posting them online for all to share, according to a federal lawsuit filed in Arizona...'It is undisputed that Defendant possessed unauthorized copies of Plaintiffs' copyrighted sound recordings on his computer,' the brief states. 'Virtually all of the sound recordings on Exhibit B are in the '.mp3' format. ... Defendant admitted that he converted these sound recordings from their original format to the .mp3 format for his and his wife's use. ... Once Defendant converted Plaintiffs' recording into the compressed .mp3 format and they are in his shared folder, they are no longer the authorized copies distributed by Plaintiffs.'"

What a crock! That would mean anyone who owns an mp3 player can be sued, even if they purchased all of their music from iTunes. Going by what this lawyer is saying, you wouldn't be able to copy your legally downloaded music to the mp3 player, because they would become an unauthorized copy.

That just made me laugh so hard! If you think about it, Itunes, 7digital, Qobuz, Tidal Store etc all offer digital downloads to the masses. As much as we all want it to stay around the CD as we know it has already been replaced by digital downloads. If I want my Itunes file to be an mp3 and conversely want my 7digital FLAC to be a WAV are they not just conversion to a different format of the same file? The RIAA had their beef when people were doing Napster and Kazaa and peer to peer services and not even owning their CD's or digital copies but now they do. The RIAA under this theory would have to sue the entire country to stop anyone from ripping songs to a different format and making an unauthorized copy! Even they don't have those kind of resources....

Edited by PopArchivist on 31 December 2018 at 10:28pm
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 January 2019 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Happy New Year to all of you!

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 January 2019 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Wow, 11 years since I wished everyone Happy New Year!
Well, let me send those wishes out to you and yours again!

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 January 2019 at 3:07am | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Happy 2019, everyone!

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 January 2019 at 3:13am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Happy New Year!