Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Vanilla Ice - "Play That Funky Music" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31 December 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have a promo CD single for this song (SBK DPRO-05364, 1990) with four tracks on it:
  1. Play That Funky Music (Remix Edit) printed 3:18 actual 3:22 - begins in high-pitched voice "Yo Vanilla kick it one time boyeeee", has "boomy" drums, ends cold with "boom"
  2. Yo Vanilla printed :05 actual :05 - is just the intro to track 1 with volume raised
  3. Play That Funky Music (Remix) printed 4:38 actual 4:41 - fades in, has "boomy" drums, ends cold on "boom"
  4. Play That Funky Music (LP Version) printed 4:44, actual 4:43 - fades in, has "tinny" drums that sound like those on "Ice Ice Baby", ends on a single synth note - not sure which LP Vanilla is referring to because this is NOT the version on To The Extreme
The true LP version on To The Extreme (printed 4:44, actual 4:20) starts with "Yo Vanilla kick it one time boyeeee", (although it's mixed down about -24 dB), has "boomy" drums, and ends with "boom". It appears that some form of the "remix" found its way onto To The Extreme, and the original mix with the tinny drums is pretty much lost to history and confined to the last track on the hard-to-find CD single.

The so-called "Remix Edit" from track 1 of the CD single can be recreated from the To The Extreme album version with one simple edit:

Keep 0:00.0-1:53.4 of To The Extreme version.
Edit on downbeat after "drop this one for the VIP crew".
Remove the 100 beats from 1:53.4-2:52.2.
Keep 2:52.2-4:22.4 (end) of To The Extreme version.

The word "boyeeeee" in the intro is 0.4 seconds longer on track 1 of the CD single than on To The Extreme, which can be easily fixed by grafting the entire track "Yo Vanilla", listed as track 2 on on To The Extreme and running :05, onto the beginning of "Play That Funky Music".

And I just have to reproduce the credits and lyrics from the liner notes to the 5-second-long track, "Yo Vanilla":
- - - - -
Intro. Yo Vanilla
Vanilla Ice

Yo vanilla! Kick it one time, boy!

Produced by Vanilla Ice
Published by Ice Baby Music/QPM Music (BMI)
- - - -

Good that Vanilla properly published this 5-second-long track with BMI. No mention of any sampling credit to Wild Cherry or to Robert Parissi, who wrote the 1976 hit for Wild Cherry, though...
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 December 2007 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

crapfromthepast wrote:
The true LP version on To The Extreme (printed 4:44, actual 4:20) starts with "Yo Vanilla kick it one time boyeeee", (although it's mixed down about -24 dB), has "boomy" drums, and ends with "boom". It appears that some form of the "remix" found its way onto To The Extreme, and the original mix with the tinny drums is pretty much lost to history and confined to the last track on the hard-to-find CD single.

While my cassette copy hasn't been played in years and is not accessible at this time, I distinctly remember that it did not end with the "boom," and was not the same mix that the video and my TM Century library has. So, the remix must have been issued on later pressings of To The Extreme, although in an edited version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 December 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Just checked my What's Up? compilation, which according to the database has the "LP version," and this is exactly what I remember being on my cassette copy of To The Extreme. It has a different hook, totally different mix, and doesn't end with "boom." CFTP, it seems like you have a unique copy of To The Extreme, which is great new info for the database!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 December 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

crapfromthepast wrote:
No mention of any sampling credit to Wild Cherry or to Robert Parissi, who wrote the 1976 hit for Wild Cherry, though...

This was just about the time that lawsuits were being filed against rap artists for not giving sample credits. Did original pressings of the album give any credit to Queen/Bowie for "Ice Ice Baby?"

Just one year prior to the release of To The Extreme was the 1989 classic (which is also one of my favorite hip hop albums of all time) Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys. The album is abundant with samples, thanks to some stellar production by the Dust Brothers, yet there is not one sample credit anywhere to be found on the album.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 December 2007 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

crapfromthepast wrote:
  1. Play That Funky Music (LP Version) printed 4:44, actual 4:43 - fades in, has "tinny" drums that sound like those on "Ice Ice Baby", ends on a single synth note - not sure which LP Vanilla is referring to because this is NOT the version on To The Extreme

That last track on your promo CD single is indeed the "LP version", cftp - us true Ice fans know which long-lost(?) LP it's referring to, lol... (*ducks & runs*)

Okay, I thought this was fairly common knowledge, but maybe not. 1990's "To the Extreme" was actually Vanilla Ice's second album. His debut was 1989's "Hooked", on Ultra/Ichiban 4019. It was issued here in the U.S. on both cassette & CD (not sure about vinyl - but probably as well), and I have it in both formats. :-) Needless to say, it's pretty rare, and nowadays the CD fetches pretty big bucks on eBay & elsewhere...

After "Play That Funky Music" and "Ice Ice Baby" got quite a bit of attention around FL and the South, SBK jumped in and signed Ice. They subsequently re-recorded/remixed 10 of the 11 original tracks from "Hooked" for "To the Extreme" (his cover of the Stones' "Satisfaction" is the one track that wasn't carried over from "Hooked"), and some new songs were also added on to "...Extreme". So that final (4:43) mix on your promo CD single is the original "Hooked" LP version - so yes, it can be found elsewhere besides that promo...

When I bought the 10th edition of Pat's book a few years ago, I noticed that the "Hooked" album was nowhere to be found under Vanilla Ice's listings for "Ice Ice Baby" and "Play That Funky Music", and I assume it's still not in the database to this day - but it definitely belongs, IMO. Unfortunately, my CD is buried away at the moment, so I can't provide exact timings for the two songs, although the "Discography" page on Ice's official web site lists them as "(4:31)" and "(4:47)", respectively. And for the curious, the album is also listed at discogs.com and on Wikipedia, complete w/ cover photos...

So in other words, "Hooked" is to Ice as that true final "Rob & Fab" album was to those two dudes formerly known as Milli Vanilli, for which I see you have a detailed page on your site, cftp (yeah, I have that one on cassette, too) - time to add a page for Ice as well! ;-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 December 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
Did original pressings of the album give any credit to Queen/Bowie for "Ice Ice Baby?"

As I recall, it did not, until Queen filed a lawsuit and demanded it.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 December 2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My dj cd single which is also SBK DPRO-05364 with matrix number Capitol JAX 3C has as track 4 the "To The Extreme" cd version on it running 4:43. I am curious as to the matrix number of the other promo cd single mentioned above with a different version of "Play That Funky Music".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 January 2008 at 3:08am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

80smusicfreak wrote:
So that final (4:43) mix on your promo CD single is the original "Hooked" LP version - so yes, it can be found elsewhere besides that promo...

Are you sure it isn't the To The Extreme LP version, which does, in fact, run 4:43? I don't own Hooked, nor have I ever heard it to know the difference between the LP version on that CD and the one on To The Extreme; however, I still think that we must have two different pressings of the latter disc, because CFTP says his copy is 4:20, while Pat's database lists 4:43.

At this point, I'm led to believe CFTP and Pat have the exact same promo CD single; however, their copies of To The Extreme are different.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 January 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

There may indeed be two different pressings of "To the Extreme", and if so, I admit I was previously unaware of it! I've never owned the promo CD single in question; I do, however, have the mega-rare cassette maxi-single for "Ice Ice Baby"/"Play That Funky Music", and that's also still packed away from my last move, but I used to play it often, so I'm just going by memory from the way cftp described it. Sounds like you're onto something, though, aaronk...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 January 2008 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My SBK DPRO-05364 promo CD single also has "JAX 3C" as the matrix number, and contains:

1-Play That Funky Music (Remix Edit) (listed 3:18; actual 3:21)
2-Yo Vanilla (listed & actual :05)
3-Play That Funky Music (Remix) (listed 4:38; actual 4:40)
4-Play That Funky Music (LP Version) (listed 4:44; actual 4:43)

Pat, I do also have a second promo CD single for this (DPRO-05378), including six tracks, with "Remixes by Gail 'Sky' King" stated boldly, right under the artist and song title, with matrix info of "JAX 1 C". Here are the other particulars:

1-Short And Sweet Funk (listed 3:44; actual 3:45)
2-Radical Radio Mix (listed 4:43; actual 4:44)
3-Extended Vocal Mix (listed 5:15; actual 5:17)
4-Funky Club Jam (listed 5:43; actual 5:44)
5-Groove Instrumental (listed 4:34; actual 4:36)
6-Medley: Ice Ice Baby/Play That Funky Music (listed 5:50; actual 5:49)
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 January 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Here is some more info about the CDs I mentioned in the topmost post in this thread.

The CD single is SBK DPRO-05364, matrix number "JAX 3C", and I also see "CPCP 05364 RE10" and some other unintelligible characters along the inner hub.

The To The Extreme CD is SBK CDP-95325, matrix number "JAX 59 C", along with "CPCD 95325 RE20 S1103H". It does indeed have a a printed time of 4:44 on both the jacket and CD itself, but a real run time of 4:20. Perhaps the "RE20" means that there's a "RE10" pressing somewhere?

There's no mention of any writing credits outside of Vanilla's circle of friends, and no sampling credits anywhere on the notes to my To The Extreme. I don't know if there were any pressings done post-lawsuit, or if the artwork was revised at any point.

I should point out that track 1 of the promo CD is also the UK single, and is available with a much more natural-sounding EQ on Now That's What I Call Music 19 (Virgin EMI PolyGram UK CD NOW 19). Track 4 of the promo CD is available on Big Hits '91 (PolyTel Canada 845 832-2).

And whaddya know, I found the Vanilla Ice 12" mentioned above, nestled between my 12" singles for Mamie Van Doren ("State Of Turmoil") and Gino Vannelli ("Black Cars"). It's a commercial release with a barcode, SBK V-19724, 1990.

Side A:
  1. Ice Ice Baby (Radio Mix - 4:28)
  2. Ice Ice Baby (Club Mix - 4:59)
  3. Ice Ice Baby (Instrumental Mix - 4:22)
  4. Ice Ice Baby (Acapella Mix - 3:48)
Side B:
  1. Play That Funky Music (Radio Mix - 4:39)
  2. Play That Funky Music (Instrumental Mix - 4:38)
  3. Play That Funky Music (Acapella Mix - 4:32)
I listened to bits of this yesterday for my initial post, but I didn't spend too much time with it, and I didn't time any of the tracks; the times I listed are all the printed times.

I did notice that some of the "Ice Ice Baby" mixes sound a little strange, similar to what we thought might be rerecordings. I also noticed that some of the "Play That Funky Music" versions used some prominent samples of the awesome Larry Graham bassline from Sly & The Family Stone's "Thank You..."; there's no such awesomeness in the CD single or the To The Extreme versions.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 01 January 2008 at 6:39pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Does anyone here have an idea of which of the three hundred versions of "Play That Funky Music" most CHR/Top-40 stations played??

I have most of the aforementioned versions, mixes & edits and I cannot remember which version got the lion's share of airplay!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My TM Century library uses the 3:21 "Remix Edit." Also, the video uses the same remix, although it might have been the full 4:40 version, and I seem to remember the "Yo Vanilla" being included, too.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

And I have an additional question... Can anyone confirm if the cassette single is identical to the 3:21 "remix edit" found on the promo CD single? I would assume so, but right now the database states the cassingle appears to be the DJ "remix edit".
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2008 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Where is the edit point comparing the 4:41 "remix" on DJ CD pro & the 4:20 2nd pressing 'To The Extreme' CD version?

By the way, the 4:20 version first appeared on a DJ 12" vinyl noted '(long radio funk)'.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2008 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Andy - The 4:41 remix on the CD single fades in with the fake applause, instead of the "Yo Vanilla" intro. I didn't compare the two, since you can't create one from the other.

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2008 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi 'crapfromthepast',

Thank you for the clarification; I erroneously assumed that a track labeled "remix edit" would be an edit of the "remix" on the same DJ pro CD -- but after further reading of your top post I see that's not the case...

Andy

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2011 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I can confirm that there are at least two versions of To The Extreme. Differences are highlighted in bold, with timing info from EAC.

The original release
Matrix number: CPCD 95325 S0828K
Total time when inserted into CD player: 57:55

01. Ice Ice Baby    [0:04:31.35]
02. Yo Vanilla    [0:00:04.70]
03. Stop That Train    [0:04:29.17]
04. Hooked    [0:04:52.63]
05. Ice Is Workin' It    [0:04:36.40]
06. Life Is A Fantasy    [0:04:47.52]
07. Play That Funky Music    [0:04:45.60]
08. Dancin'    [0:05:00.58]
09. Go Ill    [0:04:58.02]
10. It's A Party    [0:04:39.38]
11. Juice To Get Loose Boy    [0:00:08.35]
12. Ice Cold    [0:04:05.47]
13. Rosta Man    [0:04:36.68]
14. I Love You    [0:05:06.15]
15. Havin' A Roni    [0:01:09.70]

(see next post...)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 30 November 2011 at 7:51am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2011 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

A reissue (there may be more than one)
Matrix number: CPCD 95325 RE20 S1103H
Total time when inserted into CD player: 57:32

01. Ice Ice Baby    [0:04:31.32]
02. Yo Vanilla    [0:00:04.70]
03. Stop That Train    [0:04:29.18]
04. Hooked    [0:04:52.62]
05. Ice Is Workin' It    [0:04:36.38]
06. Life Is A Fantasy    [0:04:47.55]
07. Play That Funky Music    [0:04:22.30]
08. Dancin'    [0:05:00.57]
09. Go Ill    [0:04:58.00]
10. It's A Party    [0:04:39.38]
11. Juice To Get Loose Boy    [0:00:08.40]
12. Ice Cold    [0:04:05.42]
13. Rosta Man    [0:04:36.68]
14. I Love You    [0:05:06.15]
15. Havin' A Roni    [0:01:09.72]

(see next post...)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 30 November 2011 at 7:53am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Based on EAC peak values, I'd guess that all tracks except "Play That Funky Music" are digitally identical, with a slight difference in timings from the index points. (I haven't done null tests.)

So the first pressings of To The Extreme have the "LP Version" that's track 4 on the promo CD single for this song (SBK DPRO-05364, 1990), printed 4:44, actual 4:43, fades in with fake applause, has "tinny" drums that sound like those on "Ice Ice Baby", ends on a single synth note and some fake applause. Note that this is the "live" version on the CD Ten Best Series Best Of from 2001, which is probably easier to find nowadays than the first pressing of To The Extreme.

Later pressings of To The Extreme have a 4:20 version that's not on the promo CD single, starting with "Yo Vanilla kick it one time boyeeee", (although it's mixed down about -24 dB), has "boomy" drums, and ends with "boom". It's also labeled as 4:44 on the CD; they didn't change the artwork.

And it's obvious in hindsight, but until I compared them side-by-side, I never noticed that they have completely different lyrics! A few lyrics are repeated from one version to the other at the end of the song, but they're a completely different vocal take! Both of my CD booklets have the lyrics from the original, 4:44, tinny-drum version.

My later pressing of To The Extreme has "RE20" in the matrix number. There may be a "RE10" version out there, too.

I also noticed that my promo CD single, DPRO-05364, has "RE10" in the matrix number.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 30 November 2011 at 7:54am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version