Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Chris Isaak - "Wicked Game" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 November 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

This track was always a favorite of mine, and in hindsight, it's kinda remarkable that it was as big a hit as it was. It tanked when it was originally released in 1989, then finally became a hit in early 1991, sharing chart space with the likes of C & C Music Factory, Vanilla Ice and Amy Grant.

The promo CD single is Reprise PRO-CD-4408 (1989), and has three tracks:

1. Album Version 4:46 (actual 4:50 with outro silence)
2. Edit 4:06 (actual 4:09 with outro silence)
3. Instrumental 4:48 (actual 4:46 with outro silence)

I'm pretty sure the 45 has the edit (track 2) from the CD single, but I'll have to check tonight.

The promo Hitmakers Vol. 45 compilation dated Nov 16, 1990, has the edit (track 2) as well, and is digitally exactly 1.982 dB louder than the version on the CD single. (Meaning: the exact same mastering and EQ, but with a level change)

Here are instructions for creating the edit from the LP version:

Keep 0:00.0-0:17.3, 0:35.3-1:25.1, 1:39.4-2:51.3, 3:06.4-4:04.7 and 4:13-4:50.5 (end) of the LP version.

You'll be left with edits at about 0:17.9, 1:13.7, 2:32.2 and 3:30.4 in your mixdown.

In finding the edit points, I compared tracks 1 and 2 from the CD single, and it appears that they are digitally identical except at the edit points, and that many of the edit points use a gradual crossover rather than an infinitely-short splice. The crossover period is exactly 0.2 seconds for a lot of these edits, which is a neat thing to discover.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version