Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Crowded House - "Weather With You" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 November 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Not a US top 40 hit, but it hit #7 in the UK in March 1992 and is beloved by Crowded House fans the world over. So...

There was a promo CD single for this song, Captiol DPRO-79327 (1991). It has two tracks:

1. Radio Edit 3:43 (actual run time of 3:46 with outro silence and 3:43 without silence)
2. LP Version 3:44 (actual run time of 3:43 with outro silence and 3:42 without silence)

The radio edit on the single is digitally exactly 0.217 dB quieter than the version on Hitmakers Vol. 71 dated June 19, 1992.

The LP version on the single is digitally exactly 1.4 quieter than the version on Woodface (Capitol CDP 7 93559 2, 1991).

I can't really tell if the radio edit is a different mix than the LP version. I can get the samples to line up but not cancel completely, so the radio edit may be a different mix or just a different EQ from the LP version. I think it may be the same mix because there's an "edited by ..." credit on the single but not a "mixed by" or "remixed by" credit.

If we assume it's the same mix and just an edit, then here are the instructions for creating the radio edit from the LP version found on Woodface:

Keep 0:00.0-1:13.4 of the LP version.
Edit right before the word "well" in the line "well there's a slow boat made of china".
Cut out 32 beats from 1:13.4-1:33.9.
Note that edit now falls at the beginning of the word "everywhere" in the first chorus.
Keep 1:33.9-1:57.9 of the LP version.
Edit on downbeat, 4 beats after chorus ends with word "you".
Keep 1:06.7-2:43.0 of LP version. Note that this is out-of-sequence, and repeats the chorus!
Edit between beats, 7-1/2 beats after chorus ends with word "you".
Cut out 32 beats from 2:43.0-3:03.5.
Note that edit now falls at the beginning of the word "everywhere" in the last chorus.
Keep 3:03.5-3:44.4 (end) of LP version.
Fade about 8 seconds early, or at 5.0 seconds after the last downbeat.

In your mixdown you'll have edits at 1:13.7, 1:37.6 and 3:14.0, with a fade ending at about 3:43.0.

I have the song on two UK collections and a greatest hits, and since I can't remember which version is on them, I'll have to add an additional post to this thread later tonight.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 26 November 2007 at 4:56pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version