Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Copacabana Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 June 2005 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Can someone who owns "Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits" with the 3:58 version of "Copacabana" give me the matrix number that's on the inner ring of the CD? I want to make sure I'm getting the right one, since Pat notes some pressings contained the long 5:46 version.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2005 at 12:30am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Brian, here's the info: It has 2 numbers on the inner ring:

ARCD-8039 (which is just the catalog #)

and

1A6 5Y

Hope they've got the CD you want!
-EdisonLite
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2005 at 4:51am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks, Gordon! They have several copies, so one should be the correct one.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 June 2005 at 3:09am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Well, I got one with the short 45 version of Copacabana, though the label does claim 5:46. This is one of the pressings with the studio version of Daybreak. Fortunately the hit live version is on the new Essential Barry Manilow.

The matrix on mine is 5 ARC 8039-2 RE-1 SRC 02, with an added M6 S1 further up the ring. It's a music club edition.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 June 2005 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Boy, that IS a different mix than the longer version on "Essential," isn't it? Much different stereo placement and a lot more echo on the vocal in the 45 version.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 June 2005 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

As indicated in the 10th edition of T40MOCD, the edited 45 version of "Copacabana" can also be found on the Barry Manilow box set Complete Collection and Then Some (Arista 18714). One drawback here though is that the previous selection on this set tracks over the first :06 of the song's introduction.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Todd Ireland wrote:
As indicated in the 10th edition of T40MOCD, the edited 45 version of "Copacabana" can also be found on the Barry Manilow box set Complete Collection and Then Some (Arista 18714). One drawback here though is that the previous selection on this set tracks over the first :06 of the song's introduction.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread (hey, I'm new! :) ), but the "45" version on TCCATS is not really the 45. The demo tracks into the hit version, but the major difference is that right after Manilow's last vocal line of "don't fall in love," the female back-up singers reprise singing "Copacabana" two more times before the cowbell break kicks in (at least it is the 45 cowbell break, not the "Even Now" LP cowbell break). The 3:58 edit on my 1978 Greatest Hits CD does not have the extra two "Copacabana" vocals (and as stated before is labeled on the CD as running 5:46).

Hope I haven't confused anyone further.

Doug
Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Ooh, good catch, Doug! And don't be so timid... a catch like that is more than enough to get you listened to around here.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<Hope I haven't confused anyone further. >

I'm a bit confused. How many versions of "Copa" are floating around? Can someone outline how many there are (excluding the "demo" that precedes "Copa" on the box set? Are there 3 - the 5:46 remix, and the original version (one without these extra background vocals and one WITH) -- and are both of those the same length? And is the 45 different than the original LP mix?

I think this is going to turn into one of those "It's a Miracle" situations where now there are 4 versions floating around out there.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

EdisonLite wrote:
I'm a bit confused. How many versions of "Copa" are floating around? Can someone outline how many there are (excluding the "demo" that precedes "Copa" on the box set? Are there 3 - the 5:46 remix, and the original version (one without these extra background vocals and one WITH) -- and are both of those the same length? And is the 45 different than the original LP mix?

While there are some recent remixes floating out there, to the best of my knowledge there are two official versions, and both were released on the same 45. The short version runs 3:58 and has a brighter bongo open and cowbell mix; this was the A-side of the single (and is the one that appears on many pressings of the OOP Greatest Hits album). The Even Now LP version runs 5:46 and I do believe was the B-side of the single; that version has appeared on most Barry Manilow compilations since (including some pressings of the 1978 GH CD). The cowbell riff is different and the bongos are a little more subdued, plus there's a longer bridge and instrumental break in the middle.

For the CCATS release, they used the 3:58 45 mix (and brightened it just a bit), but added six seconds with the two extra "Copacabana" vocals towards the end, for a total running time of 4:04. And you can't extract the official single out of it because of the demo version that tracks into it and overlaps.

I hope that explains it a little better.

Doug

Edited by sriv94 on 17 September 2005 at 9:21am

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 September 2005 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi People,

Please don't forget that the original vinyl LP 'Even Now' had the ORIGINAL album mix that was similar (but not quite) to the 3:58 single mix/edit. The label time was 4:08 and it included the two extra "Copacabana" vocals towards the end before the percussion break. The first appearance of the 5:46 version was the promo 12" single for club DJs issued around the time of the "Even Now" 45.
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 September 2005 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Great catch. And that sounds like where the CCATS version came from. Funny that the Even Now CD releases all used the 5:46 version instead of using the vinyl LP version.

Doug

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version