Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Sounds of the Seventies - 1976: Take Two Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 June 2005 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

A couple days ago I was trying to locate the 45 version of Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back in Town" in my CD collection. According to the 10th edition of T40MOCD, the single version has only appeared on the various artist CD Sounds of the Seventies - 1976: Take Two (Time-Life SOD-18). I have this CD so I just assumed I had what I was looking for.

Well, when I got the CD out, I was shocked to discover "The Boys Are Back in Town" isn't even on my copy! After doing some research, it appears there have been two different pressings of this CD title. "Boys" is listed as Track 2 on one pressing, which I presume is the one Pat has, while my pressing instead contains Fleetwood Mac's "Over My Head" on Track 2 (it is the LP version running 3:33). All the other tracks on both CDs are identical! My pressing has catalog number SOD-18 but also contains an additional catalog number on the CD itself: OPCVD-2631. The matrix number printed along the disc's hub is: 10 OPCD 2631-2 RE-1 01. Evidently, there must have been some licensing issue with "Boys" that caused it to be replaced by "Over My Head" on the later pressings. So for now, it looks like the earlier pressings of the Sounds of the Seventies - 1976: Take Two CD is the only way to get the 45 version of "Boys".

Edited by Todd Ireland on 04 June 2005 at 2:22pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2005 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, Todd. Mine has "The Boys Are Back In Town" on it.
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2005 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Mine does, too!
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2005 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was thinking about this as I heard the LP version of "The Boys Are Back In Town" on the radio earlier today--my Time-Life CD also has "Boys" on it, but for some reason I seem to recall a different edit played on the radio back in the day. Here's the strange part--how I remember the edit was this:

At around the (2:47) mark--two lines of "the boys are back in town," followed by the whisper ("boys back, boys back"). That immediately segues into the higher end guitar from the LP version (I don't have the LP version to officially check the timing). And looking at E-Bay, there's a vinyl reissue 45 listed with a running time of (3:11) (with "Jailbreak" as the B-side). Timing it as best I can in my head, it's pretty darn close (and the 8th edition of the book notes that DJ copies ran (3:11), but no time given for commercial copies). Yet the Time-Life version runs (3:34), has no edit at the (2:47) mark but has a different edit at around (2:59) and fades out before that final LP version guitar solo.

Long way of asking this--is that version on the Time-Life CD the actual 45?

Doug

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2005 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Doug, what you described IS the 45 version.

Sadly, I don't know what version is on the aforementioned Time-Life CD.
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 October 2005 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Sounds like a bad edit of the LP version. Time-Life did the same thing on that very same CD with ELO's "Evil Woman" (45 version is correct up to a certain point, then it goes awry).

Doug

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I had to have some fun with this one after reading the above. My version of the TL CD Sounds of the Seventies - 1976: Take Two has "The Boys Are Back in Town". From a Thin Lizzy website, I asked about the 45, and someone posted their 45 on the site. I then made an edit using the TL version up to a point, then the LP version (the TL version fades too early to make a true 45 edit). Here's what I learned:

45 edit and LP same until :53 where the 45 edits out to 1:06, from 2:24 to 2:36, from 3:14 to 3:20, from 3:23 to the drum roll at 3:45 and finally from 3:46 to 4:10, then they fade together.

Amazing how they can do this many edits and end up with a decent single!

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

When I make those edits I end up with a time of (3:06), not (3:11). Could be I'm doing something wrong, plus the end sounds a little funky. Just curious--which site did you go to to get someone to post the 45 on, because I'd like to hear it for myself?

Doug

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

the site is http://forum.thin-lizzy.com. you have to join the forum first, then you can get into it. also, I end up with a time of about 3:08, not 3:11.

Edited by davidclark on 22 October 2005 at 10:10am

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I had better toss some information into this thread. What I thought was a dj 45 of "The Boys Are Back In town" is really a commercial copy that runs (3:10). Joel Whitburn claims the commercial 45 of this song runs (3:26) so perhaps there are two different commercial 45's. If Paul Haney reads this perhaps he can comment on whether the (3:26) time is accurate or a typo. The version that is on the Time-Life cd Sounds Of The Seventies 1976: Take Two is not the commercial 45 version that I have.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2005 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Hey Pat, I just timed the RR commercial copy which states a run time of (3:26). This version actually runs (3:10). The dead wax says (2-52627-CT2). Hope this helps.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 October 2005 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

davidclark wrote:
the site is http://forum.thin-lizzy.com. you have to join the forum first, then you can get into it. also, I end up with a time of about 3:08, not 3:11.

Nice job, David. So my remembrance of the 45 is correct--now it's just a matter of putting the edits together from the LP (seems like the last edit may be the toughest to pull off--as it's two edits almost simultaneously).

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 August 2007 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Reviving this one if you don't mind, the Thin Lizzy forum is kaput. David, are your edits exact timing?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 August 2007 at 4:56am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I believe so - I used the vinyl 45 source sent to me as a guide.

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 August 2007 at 5:00am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

My DJ copy also runs 3:10
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version