Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Lobo - Don’t Expect Me To Be Your Friend Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 June 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Didn't appear to be noted in the database, but the LP version of this song has more instrumentation than the 45 version I've heard. Wasn't the LP version the 'hit' version?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2007 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Eriejwg, I have found that it really helps, when asking a question like this on the Board, to provide SPECIFIC details, in regard to the differences you hear. Something like, "I think I hear bongos at 1:15 of the LP version that I don't hear on my 45." When you do it that way, there are several folks here (not me, sad to say) with AMAZING ears, who might be able to then check it for you fairly quickly, as opposed to your general "I hear more instrumentation" statement. Another problem is, do any of the talented "trained ears" happen to have that specific LP in their personal collections, to check out for you? Probably not. If you offer to make an mp3 dub of the LP version and your 45, then ask the favor of "borrowing their ear for research", and then have them get back to you with their opinion of it, that will GREATLY increase your chances of getting your open issue both looked into, and possibly resolved. I know David Clark is among those with a great ear for such things, and is always willing to assist a "Brother on the Board!"
   FYI, this song first appeared on a 45 as the flip side of Lobo's mid-charting, #52 BB hit, "A Simple Man", in July of 1972, as Big Tree 141. Then, 5 months later, "Don't Expect..." was re-released as Big Tree 158, this time as the "A" side of the 45, and it debuted on the Hot 100 during the final week of 1972, this time b/w "A Big Red Kite", on its way to becoming his 3rd and final BB Top 10 hit. Of course, it is always possible that Big Tree may have tried to "spruce up" the track a little, upon deciding to re-release it as the "A"-side of the 45 this time. This exact same situation happened with the Doobie Brothers' 1975 #1 hit, "Black Water". This song first appeared as the flip side of their "Another Park, Another Sunday" 45, in April 1974, as WB 7795. Then, 8 months later, in late Dec., 1974, "Black Water" was re-issued, this time as the "A" side of WB 8062, b/w "Going To See You Through," debuting BB on 12/21/74, on its way to the top. But in this case (as it could be in Lobo's, as well), there appears to be no difference between the Doobies' LP version and either of the 2 different 45 issues for "Black Water."
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Jim:

Appreciate your insight and advice. Even if I need to track down a stock 45 myself, I will post back any differences in versions of the song I find. It's even possible Big Tree had Lobo re-record it for the A side when it was released as a single itself.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Just looked into this matter and found that yes there is an LP version that has at least some different instrumentation from the 45 and that 45 version is what appears on all cd's in the database except for Curb 77877 "Best Of" which is a rerecording. The guitar from :12 to :13 is the first difference I hear when comparing the 45 and LP but there are others.

Edited by Pat Downey on 24 June 2007 at 12:19pm
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks Pat. I'm honored you looked into this.

The version minus the instrumentation seems to be on a CD called "Calumet" from 1997. I'm guessing it's an import because this one contained bonus tracks that other copies of "Calumet" don't have.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 June 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<The version minus the instrumentation seems to be on a CD called "Calumet" from 1997. I'm guessing it's an import >

I, too, have this 1997 Calumet CD and it is in import -- from Rhino/Germany, which released 3 Lobo CDs (containing the 5 Big Tree albums) at that time. It IS a bonus track for the "Calumet" CD - because the song wasn't on the "Calumet" LP.

This version is missing a LOT of electric guitar overdubs. However, it has much greater stereo separation of the acoustic guitars- which are much more centered in the other version. It's too bad they didn't keep the separated acoustic guitars when they mixed the version with the electric guitar overdubs.

What's strange is that this CD labels the song as "Single Version". But according to what everyone's saying here, it's the album version! And the single version is what appears on all other CDs.

Edited by EdisonLite on 30 June 2007 at 3:03pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 June 2007 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I just checked the other Rhino/Germany CD: "Introducing Lobo/Of a Simple Man". For the section with the "Of a Simple Man" album, it contains "Don't Expect", obviously. But it has the extra instrumentation!

So something strange is going on here. Pat, could you have the 2 versions reversed? Is what you're calling the single version actually be the album version?

It just seems very strange that Rhino (even the Germany Rhino) would release the "Of A Simple Man" LP on CD and SWITCH UP the "Don't Expect" version there, and then add that LP mix of "Don't Expect" as a bonus cut to "Calumet" and call it the "single mix"! That's a lot of work and why switch them anyway - why take the album mix off the album and substitute in the single mix - and then move the album mix to a later album/CD yet call it the "single mix"??

I do remember hearing the elec guitar overdubs on the radio (I think), which would suggest Pat is right in what he calls the single mix. So this is all very confusing. I wonder if the true situation is like the Dolly Parton "Two Doors Down" situation, where early LPs have one mix and later LP's have the substituted single mix.

Can anyone shed some insight on all this?

Edited by EdisonLite on 30 June 2007 at 2:55pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 July 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have no idea what is on the German cd's that you keep referencing as I do not enter import cd's in the database. I can tell you this much regarding the 45 version that I am using as my standard -- it is Big Tree 158, matrix number 1526S-1 and I would be happy to send an mp3 to anyone that wishes to make their own comparison with what is on cd. I can tell you for sure that the guitar note I hear at :13 is not the same as from the vinyl LP "Of A Simple Man" which I can also send to anyone that wishes to make their own comparison.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 July 2007 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I listened to Pat's versions, and the 45 version is the one with guitar overdubs.

This means that Rhino/Germany released the "Of A Simple Man" album on CD and substituted the "Don't Expect" single version instead of the album version, and then as a bonus cut to their "Calumet" CD, they added the album version of "Don't Expect" and labeled it the "single version."

So I hope that clears it up for everybody.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version