Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Smash Mouth - I’m A Believer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 June 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

can someone please enlighten me as to the two versions I hear of this? One is the 60s-sounding version starting with organ that runs about 3:03. The other is much heavier starting with a guitar shriek and runs about 3:10.

When I play a sample of the "Shrek" CD via amazon, I get the 60s-sounding version, while on allmusic, I get the heavy version!

What's up? Which version was played in the film? I assume the radio version to be the 60s one.

Edited by davidclark on 16 June 2007 at 7:41am

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Yes, I have the radio version you mentioned at 3:03 via RPM Top Hits in 2000.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

David, as far as I'm concerned, my friend, if you choose to delve into the land of "offical downloads", and then ask us to try to figure out where "allmusic" might have gotten the version that they sent to you, you're asking an AWFUL lot of us, especially with Pat's database already being so conscientious about all of a Top 40 hit's domestic CD appearances. Going forward, I believe similar situations will probably be happening to you more often then you'd like it to, and is probably just gonna have to be accepted by you as an "occupational hazard" of you choosing to go this route. And that's unfortunate, because I know downloading is a good money-saver for you. And although my promo CD single collecting had almost totally stopped by 2001, and I'm also a little surprised that none of the Board's "young guns" have yet chimed in to offer you a detailed response, on a recent 2001 hit (I'm just back from a cross-country vacation, and trying to catch up), I quickly checked my collection for you. I did manage to locate a 1-track, promo CD single for it, which features the organ intro:

Smash Mouth-"I'm A Believer" (Dreamworks/Interscope INTR-10464-2)

1-Film Version (Radio Edit) (listed time 2:54; actual time 3:04)

That's all I've got for you, David - good luck from here, sir.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2007 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

The music video on the allmusic website is the 60's sounding version starting with the organ. However the Shrek soundtrack is not on Rhapsody.com so I cannot check on there. The 60's sounding version is, however, on two Smash Mouth cds listed within Rhapsody....the self titled Smash Mouth album and the album All Star Smash Hits.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 4:55am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Thanks for the info. Just to point out, allmusic is a site that offers 30 second samples of music from CDs that can be available for sale on other sites, the other sites themselves having 30 second samples also. Neither allmusic nor the sites that sell the CDs (e.g., amazon, barnes and noble) offer "downloads", and i didn't download or get sent anything from allmusic.com.

I've always had the "organ version" from an official CD source, and after hearing the sample on allmusic as coming from the "Shrek" CD, I managed to locate that heavier version, so it's out there! Hence my question as to what it is and where it might come from.

I would hope that the sample there would be from the actual CD, but of course maybe it isn't. Or, the CD itself could be remastered at some point. So these sites could have a challenge in keeping up with all what the record companies do.

Edited by davidclark on 19 June 2007 at 4:57am

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

David,

I don't know if I'm of any help to you because I have never seen the movie 'Shrek' -- but here's what I do know.

The original 'Shrek' soundtrack CD contained the heavier, reggae-tempoed version of "I'm A Believer"; the promo single had the 'radio version' that was similar to the Monkees/Jeff Barry arrangement (wanting a hit record).

I believe it's technically a 'remix' as it appears some of the instrumentation & the vocal is the same on both versions (although it sounds like a complete rerecording on first listen).

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

thanks Andrew.

so it seems it might be a case of the "Shrek" CD having had the heavier version at first, with it later being changed to the more "hit friendly" organ version!

that would solve it!

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Just a thought...

Could the version of "I'm a Believer" from the movie be lifted from the DVD?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version