Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Death Row’s BUTCHERED EDITS! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 March 2007 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I know I've brought this up before, but I just noticed that Pat has recently added Chronicles: Death Row Classics (edited version) to the database, so I wanted to share this information again.

Death Row's original, clean single mixes, for the most part all have different lyrics than the LP counterparts. The database currently lists "censored" next to many Death Row hits from 2Pac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, etc.; however, it is important to note that most of these censored versions are NOT the original, clean single mixes. They are newly re-edited LP versions that simply reverse the objectionable language.

In fact, most full-length Death Row releases from the early to mid '90s were never issued in clean versions. It wasn't until 2000 and later that they put together new, butchered clean versions of some of their classic albums. These new edits are the "censored" versions that have been issued on the clean version of Chronicles. I'm going to check the 2-disc Death Row compilation recently released, and I'll report my findings shortly.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

As I suspected, the compilation 15 Years On Death Row is also a nightmare with wrong versions. Almost every track on the censored version of this release uses the hacked up LP versions and not the clean single mixes. The only two tracks they appear to have correct, but were not top 40 hits, are "How Do U Want It" and "To Live And Die In L.A.," both by 2Pac.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Given that the database is unclear in some cases about which version is which, I will try to straighten it all out in this post. I will need some assistance as to which versions were released on the US CD or cassette singles.

Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Nuthin' But A "G" Thang

"Radio Mix" contains alternate lyrics. CDs containing this mix include "Millennium Hip Hop Party" and "MTV The First 1000 Years - Hip Hop."

Some CDs contain an edited version that was released several years after its initial release. These CDs include "The Chronic (Edited)" and "The Very Best Of Death Row (Edited)," among others.

I propose that the comment "neither 45 nor LP version" be listed for CDs with the later, newly edited version.

Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Dre Day

"Radio Mix" contains alternate lyrics. To my knowledge, no full-length CD contains this mix.

Some CDs contain an edited version that was released several years after its initial release. These CDs include "The Chronic (Edited)" and "Death Row Classics (Edited)," among others.

I propose that the comment "neither 45 nor LP version" be listed for CDs with the later, newly edited version.

Dr. Dre - Let Me Ride

"Radio Mix" contains alternate lyrics. The CD "The NWA Legacy, Vol 1 (Edited)" contains this mix.

Some CDs contain an edited version that was released several years after its initial release. These CDs include "The Chronic (Edited)" and "The Very Best Of Death Row (Edited)," among others.

Edited by aaronk on 12 March 2007 at 9:11pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Dr. Dre - Keep Their Heads Ringin'

The CD Death Row's Greatest Hits (both edited and unedited) contain a shorter (3:58) version. This CD should contain the comment "neither 45 nor LP version," as I've never seen any CD singles, promo or commercial, that have a (3:58) version.

Also, for the first three Dr. Dre singles in the previous post, I propose that the "uncensored version" comment be changed to "LP version," since the original full-length album The Chronic was never originally issued in a censored version.

Edited by aaronk on 12 March 2007 at 9:35pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Snoop Doggy Dogg - What's My Name?

"Radio Mix," which is also the 45 version, contains alternate lyrics. The database correctly identifies which CDs have this version.

Some CDs contain an edited version that was released several years after its initial release. These CDs include "Doggystyle (Edited)" and "Death Row's Greatest Hits (Edited)," among others.

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Gin And Juice

"Radio Version," which is also the 45 version, contains alternate lyrics. The database correctly identifies which CD contains the 45 version.

Some CDs contain an edited version that was released several years after its initial release. These CDs include "Doggystyle (Edited)" and "Death Row's Greatest Hits (Edited)," among others.

Also, for comments that currently read "uncensored LP version," I would suggest changing it to simply "LP version," since the full-length album Doggystyle was never originally released in a censored version.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

2Pac - I Get Around

As I posted in another thread, some DJ copies contain the "Xtra Xtra Clean Version," running (4:19), which has censored lyrics. This is the ONLY censored version that was issued when the song was a hit. All other CDs containing a "censored" version have an edited version that was released several years later.

I would suggest that all CDs containing the later, newly edited version have the comment "neither 45 nor LP version," instead of "censored version." All comments that read "uncensored version" should be removed, since this was the only version released in 1993 (other than the DJ edit).

Edited by aaronk on 12 March 2007 at 9:35pm

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 March 2007 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Aaron, you mention a "radio mix" for a number of these songs but I don't have any dj cd single entries listed for these "radio mixes" so could you pass along the detailed information so I can add this information to the database?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 March 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, when I get home this evening, I'll try to supply as much info as possible. For now...

2Pac - I Get Around PRCD 5188
1. Xtra Xtra Clean Version (4:19 - listed & actual time)

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Gin And Juice PRCD 5456
1. Radio Version (No Indo) (listed 3:41; actual 3:37)
2. Radio Version (listed 3:38; actual 3:40)
3. Laid Back Mix (listed 4:48; actual 4:47)
4. Laid Back Radio Mix (listed 3:40; actual 3:39)

For the rest of the singles, I have the import versions, but not the DJ singles. However, I have had copies of all of these DJ CDs in my possession at one time, and I can say that the import CDs have the exact same mixes and run times as the promo CDs. The only exception is that a few of the import singles have extra tracks that are not on the DJ singles, but I'll try to find an exact track listing and catalog number for all the singles.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2007 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron/Pat: Here is my promo CD single info for the titles brought up:

Dr. Dre-"Nuthin' But A "G" Thang" (DPRO 6650)
1-Radio Mix (listed 3:56; actual 3:55)
2-LP Version (listed and actual 3:58)
3-Instrumental (listed and actual 4:06)
4-Club Mix (listed 4:38; actual 4:37)
5-Vibe Instrumental (listed 5:09; actual 4:30)
6-Freestyle Remix (listed 4:11; actual 3:10)

Dr. Dre-"Keep Their Heads Ringin'" (DPRO 50868)
1-Radio (no listed time; actual 5:00)
2-LP Version (no listed time; actual 5:02)
3-Instrumental (no listed time; actual 4:55)

Dr. Dre-"Dre Day" (DPRO 6661)
1-Radio Mix (listed 4:52; actual 4:51)
2-LP Version (listed 4:52; actual 4:51)
3-Extended Club Mix (listed 10:00; actual 9:53)
4-Instrumental Version (listed 4:52; actual 4:51)

I have two different promo CD singles for:
Dr. Dre-"Let Me Ride" (DPRO 7029)
1-Radio Mix (listed and actual 4:20)

Dr. Dre-"Let Me Ride" (DPRO 7034)
1-Extra Clean Radio Edit (listed 3:45; actual 3:53)

GREAT job sorting all out this out, Aaron! Hope this additional info helps a little bit.

Edited by jimct on 14 March 2007 at 5:12pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 March 2007 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

AWESOME! Thanks a lot for adding this info, Jim. That just leaves one, which is "What's My Name?" There may be more than one promo CD for this, but I've only ever come across a 1-track promo CD.

Snoop Doggy Dogg - What's My Name? PRCD 5335
1. Radio Mix (actual 4:15)

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2007 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

The "What's My Name?" PRCD 5335, 1-cut promo CD single is the only one I have for that one as well, Aaron.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 March 2007 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Ed can you fill us in on which version of these tracks under discussion appeared on the appropriate cassette single so we can define a 45 version.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2007 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ed e-mailed me a couple days ago and said he'll be traveling over the next several weeks, so it may be a little while before we get his input on these commercial singles.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 October 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

For what it's worth, the "Radio" version of "Keep Their Heads Ringin'" on the promo CD is not the same as what's on the clean Friday soundtrack. They are the same vocal take with alternate lyrics; however, the "Radio" version reverses a few words that the soundtrack version leaves uncensored.

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

I'm still trying to find the "smokin' smokin'" video version of "gin and juice" where the "smokin' indo" part is not "smokin (insert sfx here)" but "smokin' smokin'...sippin' on jin and juice."
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 October 2009 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm still trying to find that version, too! Everyone I've checked with who has the promo CD has the one with sound effects.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

guys...i just saw todd request from awhile ago to list some cassingles info.....which one's are requested???....and i'll get on it this weekend......sorry...edtop40

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

Aaron, I've got an import (UK, I think) CD single of "What's My Name", which I believe is identical to the vinyl promo single. I can pull that out and report on it, if that information would help you.
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 October 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Steve, I also have the UK CD single of "What's My Name," but I don't own any vinyl singles from Snoop Dogg. What's interesting about the UK CD single of "What's My Name" is that the word "bitch" is muted on the Radio Mix. I have a TM Century HitDisc that also contains the Radio Mix; however, the word "bitch" is not muted. It almost sounds like the word was dubbed back into the TM Century version. I would assume they pulled this straight from the promo CD single.

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

I was just listening to a version of 2Pac's "Live and Die in L.A." and it was cleaned up with reversed words but still had the "s" word in tact at the end in a few places. WTF...I think it was from his greatest hits cd??
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version