Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Can’t Stop Fallin’..." - Cheap Trick Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 March 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Here's a fairly strange case... Cassette single copies of Cheap Trick's "Can't Stop Falling into Love" run 3:48 and state "Radio Mix" on the cardboard sleeve. To my ears though, this mix sounds virtually identical to the version on the band's Busted CD (Epic 46013), which would be considered the LP version. Back in the early '90s, record labels were commonly issuing heavily remixed and revamped versions of Top 40 songs on commercial single releases that were radically different from the familiar versions played on radio. At first, I just figured the "Radio Mix" description for "Can't Stop Falling into Love" on the cassette single was simply to let consumers know they were getting the familiar hit version and not some unexpected remix.

I later came across a promo CD single release for this song on Epic ESK 73444 and it contains the following track listing and actual run times:

1) Radio Mix - 3:48
2) LP version - 3:48

I've conducted a thorough A/B comparison between the two tracks and, aside from ever-so-slightly louder electric guitars on the LP version in a couple of short spots in the song, the two versions are virtually identical to my ears!

Has anybody else been able to distinguish any other differences between the single version (a.k.a. "Radio Mix") and the LP version of "Can't Stop Falling into Love"? If not, it seems really odd to me that Epic would go through the trouble of issuing a "Radio Mix" that sounds essentially indistinguishable from the LP version and include both tracks on the promo CD single release. At any rate, it would probably be a good idea to have this information documented in the database so that readers aren't fooled into buying the commercial or promo single thinking they're getting something noticeably different than the LP version.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 12 March 2007 at 5:53pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 December 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Todd - My commercial 45 says "Radio Mix", and I, too A/B'ed every version I found, and can't hear a difference.

I listened to the 1991 Greatest Hits, the 2004 Essential, a Schwartz Brothers CD Sampler (that probably has the Busted version), and a Time-Life Guitar Rock collection that has a re-EQ'd digital clone of the Greatest Hits, and they all sound the same to my ears.

My only clue, if you can call it that, is that the "Mixed by Mike Shipley" credit on the 45 label is also on the 1991 Greatest Hits CD. (Don't have the Essential notes, so can't tell which it is.)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version