Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: People - I Love You Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 January 2007 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have been doing some comparisons on the various versions and mixes of "I Love You" by People. Although the database does not have a notation for this song, I have found differences between at least one of the stereo CD copies and the mono 45 version.

On the CD Lost Hits Of The 60's, the reverb is different than the mono 45 version. For example, take a listen to the first time the lead singer sings "And I don't know what to say" (when the music stops). On the CD version, this vocal has no reverb at all. On the 45, there is reverb on the vocal.

Now, I cannot say for sure if this CD warrants a "neither" or "LP version" comment, because I don't have the vinyl LP to compare it with (or any other CD). Perhaps someone else could lend an ear.

Edited by aaronk on 04 January 2007 at 9:50pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Well if you want to get technical (and it appears that everyone on this board does!) the stereo version to me has always sounded significantly different, mostly due to a poor stereo mix. The organ and reverb is way too loud and the song loses all it's power on the stereo mix. But is it enough to deserve an "LP version" notation on every stereo listing? Might just need a notation on the heading on the song. "Stereo mix sounds somewhat different than the mono mix which was the hit 45."

Do we make the same notation for Max Frost and the Troopers? That might be another one. Where do you draw the line?
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

BradOlson
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote BradOlson

Another source for the People recordings with Larry Norman is that there are 2 volumes of these recordings available at www.larrynorman.com

Yes, Larry was the lead vocalist of People and would shortly after become one of the founding fathers of Contemporary Christian (read: Christian rock and pop music) Music.
Back to Top View BradOlson's Profile Search for other posts by BradOlson

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

There is no reverb on this line on the stereo LP. Does anyone have the "I Love You" album in mono to see if this is a mono vs stereo mix situation?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My Goldmine "History of American Records: 1950-1975" is normally VERY diligent about fully documenting both the stereo and mono versions of LP releases. For the LP in question, only a stereo release, ST-2924, is indicated.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Bill Cahill wrote:
Well if you want to get technical (and it appears that everyone on this board does!) the stereo version to me has always sounded significantly different, mostly due to a poor stereo mix. The organ and reverb is way too loud and the song loses all it's power on the stereo mix. But is it enough to deserve an "LP version" notation on every stereo listing? Might just need a notation on the heading on the song. "Stereo mix sounds somewhat different than the mono mix which was the hit 45."

Do we make the same notation for Max Frost and the Troopers? That might be another one. Where do you draw the line?

My opinion on this seems to be in line with Pat's current policies... If reverb is present on one mix but missing on another mix, then this difference should probably be noted. However, if we're strictly talking about mono/stereo or equalization differences, then a notation likely isn't necessary here.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

OK gang, I have updated the database to reflect the new information that has been passed along regarding the 45 nd LP version of "I Love You".

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I just checked the database and I think you summed the info up very well, Pat.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2007 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

I do not have "I Love You" on CD but I do have the original Capitol stereo LP and a mono 45 version on Capitol Starline (on the flip side of the Human Beinz' "Nobody But Me.") The stereo LP version is 4:33 and the Capitol Starline mono version is 4:32. I think the one second difference relates to the sound of the last note as I discuss below.

Regarding reverb on the "And I don't know what to say" line, the stereo LP version has that vocal line coming from the left channel with very slight reverb in the right channel. The Capitol Starline mono 45 has much greater reverb.

To me, the most significant differences in the two version are: (1) the passages before the "And I don't know what to say" line and the last silent passage before the end of the song are truly silent on the 45 version while, on the stereo LP version, reverb from the lnstruments is heard "filling up" that silence and (2) the last note of the song is dramatically different in the two versions, with the stereo LP version having a much louder and more forceful note and the mono 45 version having a very muted final note.

All interesting stuff about a Chris White/Zombies tune!

Dan
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

For the record, the "DJ edit" of this song is not only an edit but a completely new mix! They mixed the vocals louder on this version. Also, the last note on the short version is at full volume, whereas it fades out significantly on both the stereo LP and mono 45 versions.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Bob Lovely
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote Bob Lovely

I have both the full length Mono LP mix and the Mono DJ Edit [transfered from "minty" vinyl] of this track and both are drier than the Stereo mix. The DJ edit is the version that was typically played on radio, although not by every station at the time. I suppose some stations were not serviced with the DJ Edit version. The DJ Edit ends "cold" at full volume.

I agree with aaronk on the DJ Edit actually being a different mix. It is drier than the Mono LP mix with the rambling opening. Capitol always applied "echo" to mixes but never to multi-track tapes which were left dry. This way, the mixer could choose which "echo chamber" at "The Tower" they wanted to use for the mix. They could even decide which track to apply the echo to when executing a mix, such as the vocal or instrumental tracks.

If would be interesting to ask the person who mixed the Stereo mix why they added so much echo to the mix. It is simply too wet.

Bob

Edited by Bob Lovely on 10 March 2007 at 9:41am

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 March 2007 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Jimct indicated above that there was no mono LP Bob, so have you come across a mono LP of "I Love You"?

Bob Lovely
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2007 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Bob Lovely

Pat Downey wrote:
Jimct indicated above that there was no mono LP Bob, so have you come across a mono LP of "I Love You"?

Hi Pat!

I have the full-length Mono mix on CD-R, not on CD. Because of sound quality, it sounds like it was mastered from tape but, I do not know the source it was taken from unfortunately. I could be mistaken and this is merely a very well-executed vinyl transfer from the stock 45...

Bob

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 March 2007 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The mono mix can be easily created by folding down the electronic stereo version currently available on CD. The "E" version simply cuts the treble in one channel and the bass in the other. It sounds fine when folded down, so perhaps this is your source, Bob.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

For each of the eight weeks the I Love You LP charted on the Billboard Top LP's chart, it was indicated as not being available in a mono version.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2007 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

aaronk wrote:
The mono mix can be easily created by folding down the electronic stereo version currently available on CD. The "E" version simply cuts the treble in one channel and the bass in the other. It sounds fine when folded down, so perhaps this is your source, Bob.

I tried it. It does not work. I have the 45 and the same versions Bob has, and the problem is that it has too much reverb. The 45 mono mix is dry, and the drums are louder.

Edited by The Hits Man on 15 March 2007 at 7:32pm

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Paul C wrote:
For each of the eight weeks the I Love You LP charted on the Billboard Top LP's chart, it was indicated as not being available in a mono version.
The 45 was mono.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 March 2007 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Have you tried folding down the electronic stereo version that appears on the Love Rocks compilation? I compared the actual 45 version (not the DJ version) with the fold down, and they are exactly the same. But no, you cannot fold down the true stereo LP mix, because the reverb is different. The electronic stereo versions have the same reverb as the 45.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2007 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

aaronk wrote:
Have you tried folding down the electronic stereo version that appears on the Love Rocks compilation? I compared the actual 45 version (not the DJ version) with the fold down, and they are exactly the same. But no, you cannot fold down the true stereo LP mix, because the reverb is different. The electronic stereo versions have the same reverb as the 45.
   I tried it years ago, and I tried it again the other day. It is different.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 March 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Grant, perhaps you could be specific as to where you hear the difference, because I simply do not hear any differences.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version