Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Gordon Lightfoot-Circle Is Small Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BradOlson
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 January 2007 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote BradOlson

Pat, you are correct that the hit version can be found on the Endless Wire, Songbook and Complete Greatest Hits CDs, but he first recorded this song in 1968 on his "Back Here On Earth" album on United Artists and the original is on domestic CD. The domestic CD is the second disc of the United Artists Collection, stereo, and the timing is 3:28. The label is EMI and the catalog number is 27015.

Edited by BradOlson on 05 January 2007 at 9:30am
Back to Top View BradOlson's Profile Search for other posts by BradOlson

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 January 2007 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45 has both a listed and actual time of (3:51). The 3 WB entries currently in the database is are all 3:57+, now likely requiring some sort of version notation.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, I just re-stumbled upon this "listed & actual (3:51) timing" fact during my current 1978 research; perhaps you could add a brief note to this effect in the database, whenever you get a spare moment - thanks.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 May 2008 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

On the vinyl LP "Endless Wire" this song runs (4:03) and is just an LP length and not an LP version.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2008 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

So, at (3:57) - i.e., :06 longer than the "45 length", but :06 shorter than the "LP length" - the entry for "Complete Greatest Hits" gets which designation now??? :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 May 2008 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I would hope that anyone can make their own designation based on the information given with regards to the 45 and LP running time.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2008 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey wrote:
I would hope that anyone can make their own designation based on the information given with regards to the 45 and LP running time.

I was just being tongue-in-cheek, Pat. :-) While I don't doubt that other examples already exist, this was honestly the first time I'd ever noticed here on the chat board that the timing difference on a particular CD was split right down the middle, thus creating that dilemma, lol. Personally, I'd rather have the full (4:03) LP length, but alas, at this time, the only CD that I have w/ "The Circle is Small" is "Complete Greatest Hits" - which I ran out & bought the week it came out, as I'd been waiting for just such a GL collection for years, so I do think it's pretty good! (Am I the only one here who thinks his 1982 hit, "Baby Step Back", should've done a LOT better here in the U.S.?!? Also, "Daylight Katy" is one of the few songs dating back to the '70s that I actually remember hearing often on the radio as a kid, yet never made the pop charts. Yes, it was an AC hit, but I can't remember if the stations I heard it on were AC- or top 40-formatted, though...)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2008 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Small station I worked at in 1978 played "Daylight Katy", but the PD there added almost the entire Hot 100 at any given time...LOL. No format clocks, nothing, just a stack of current 45's that we rotated, along with any golds we wanted to play...free form at it's best!!
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2008 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak wrote:
Pat Downey wrote:

I was just being tongue-in-cheek, Pat. :-) While I don't doubt that other examples already exist, this was honestly the first time I'd ever noticed here on the chat board that the timing difference on a particular CD was split right down the middle, thus creating that dilemma, lol.

Actually, I've seen one other instance in the database where this down-the-middle-split occurs... Barry Manilow's "I Write the Songs" has a LP length of 3:53 and a 45 length of 3:43, but the song runs 3:48 on the Ultimate Manilow CD (Arista 10600 and 725686)!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just timed the promo 45's stereo side, and the length runs an actual (3:48). The mono side runs just a tick short of (3:53).

Edited by aaronk on 20 May 2008 at 12:43pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

aaronk wrote:
I just timed the promo 45's stereo side, and the length runs an actual (3:48). The mono side runs just a tick short of (3:53).

For the Gordon Lightfoot tune or the Barry Manilow tune?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ah, it would help if I clarified... The Gordon Lightfoot promo has the (3:48) and (3:53) timings.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

(DELETED POST)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 20 May 2008 at 1:59pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 June 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Can someone give a starting point of the 45's fade for "The Circle Is Small" ??
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

I sent John a dub of the mono side of my DJ 45, which runs an actual (3:54).

John mentioned upthread having played Gord's "Circle" follow-up, "Daylight Katy" (WB 8579) back in the day. The single didn't chart pop on Billboard, but did manage a #16 showing on BB's AC chart. I only mention this one for any Lightfoot or Cancon single completists: The "Daylight Katy" DJ 45 states a time of (3:20) on both sides; however, the actual times are (4:19) on the stereo side and (3:54) on the mono side, which is an edit.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I'm a big fan of "Daylight Katy" and am glad you mentioned the mono edit here. I never would have known. I assume the 4:19 45 version is the same as the album. Right? There are a lot of cherished non-top 40 songs in my collection where I really don't know if edits exist and I just use what I have on CD, but I often wonder (especially due to some of the rather lengthy times of the songs) if edits exist for these charters that peaked between 41-100 or only on AC. That's one area we don't officially cover on this board so any notations here for such releases is much appreciated by me.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 June 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Gordon, the "Daylight Katy" 4:19 stereo side is simply the 4:21 vinyl LP track faded two seconds earlier.

I've detailed the "Katy" mono DJ 45 edit/fade on the ongoing Below The Top 40 thread.

Edited by Yah Shure on 16 June 2011 at 10:02pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2022 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Bumping up
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic