Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Swayin’ To The Music" - Johnny Rivers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 December 2006 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Trying to pinpoint the edits for the promo version. Anyone have any ideas (pretty sure there are two edits--one during the intro and another toward the end, but I'm not sure)?

Edited by sriv94 on 09 December 2006 at 9:24pm

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 December 2006 at 2:29am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Doug: I will shoot you out a dub of my DJ 45 short v as soon as I can. You'll then be able to research/locate the exact edit points yourself, my friend.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 December 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Thank you, kind sir.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45 has a listed time of (3:58), but an actual time of (4:01).

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 April 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Jim, I presume that your commercial 45 is the second issue with the longer "Swayin' To The Music" title (Big Tree 16094.) I have that also, along with two copies of the first issue on Soul City 008 as "Slow Dancin'." Here are the timings on the mono/stereo Soul City promo:

Mono - listed time (3:25), actual time (3:32).
Stereo - listed time (3:58), actual time (4:02).

I don't have the Big Tree promo, but the second edit at 2:43 on the mono Soul City promo sounds very awkward. Here are the edit points:

1. Delete intro segment from :06.369 to :11.909.
2. Delete segment from 2:43.264 to 3:09.802.

Although not "correct," for a more natural-sounding second edit in mono:

1. (same as #1 above)
2. Delete segment from 2:45.746 to 3:12.276.

Edited by Yah Shure on 01 March 2016 at 2:59pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 April 2008 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

First off, Yah Shure, I was at like (4:01.9) on the actual time of my Big Tree commercial 45 for this, so I'm very comfortable going with the (4:02) you got on your pre-Big Tree Soul City 45 as well. I also believe your "iffy quality" short version comments are valid - so much so, my evidence is that when Big Tree picked the song up for national distribution, their promo 45 had the (listed 3:48; actual 4:02) version on BOTH sides of it, eschewing that Soul City early promo 45 short version entirely. Although FYI, we'd already gotten copies of this early promo 45 sent to our station some weeks earlier, so that shorter edit was indeed available as a 1977 radio airplay option.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 April 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Jim, we seem to have been on the same page: the Soul City clocked in at 4:02.8, but (4:02) will suffice. Just as a point of clarification, the Soul City record was nationally distributed through independent distributors. The Big Tree deal moved the distribution to WEA.

The odd mono edit on "Slow Dancin'" wasn't the first questionable thing that Soul City had done. White label promo copies of the Rivers single that had preceded it by a few months ("Ashes And Sand," Soul City 007, #96) had just been sent to the distributors, when it was discovered that the wrong take had been used. The 150 copies our distributorship had been sent were quickly recalled... all but three copies, that is. :) The rest were destroyed, and the silver, black and white-labelled replacements arrived soon thereafter.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I appreciate your scanned 45 label photos as always, Yah Shure. And it sounds like you might potentially have a valuable collector's item with that white label "Ashes and Sand" DJ 45!

Now, does anyone recall hearing or playing the short promo 45 edit of "Slow Dancin' (Swayin' to the Music)" on the radio?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2008 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Todd Ireland wrote:
Now, does anyone recall hearing or playing the short promo 45 edit of "Slow Dancin' (Swayin' to the Music)" on the radio?

Pretty sure WLS in Chicago played the radio edit (although I think they actually carted up the stock 45 version first, then switched).

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

If anybody has a digital copy of the promo edit of "Swayin' To The Music", I'd love to hear it!

Edited by Paul Haney on 01 March 2016 at 12:22pm
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Paul, your special order has shipped. ;)

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Thanks to Yah Sure for sending me a digital copy. The edit sounds fine to my ears. Too bad I can't recall which version I heard on KDWB back in the day:)
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Paul Haney wrote:
Too bad I can't recall which version I heard on KDWB back in the day:)

That's actually an interesting question, Paul. When the KDWB-FM studios moved from the AM transmitter site in Woodbury to downtown Minneapolis in 1988, followed by the AM eight months later, the 45s library was left behind in "suburban Eau Claire." The library comprised original promo and stock 45s, dating back to the 1969 fire, as well as reissue 45s acquired circa 1985 for the AM's oldies format. Because the library's 45s covered both stations' formats, I asked my FM counterpart if he needed them, and he said to take 'em. He didn't have to ask twice. :) (The Sheriff and Moving Pictures retro-hits were the only two needed for re-dubbing, anyway.)

Along with the 45s came two card file boxes, containing index cards for each title, and the one for the Rivers tune lists the title as "Slow Dancin" under #2632. Was it the Soul City mono promo? Well, some of the file numbers were used twice, and, unfortunately, the "other" #2632 (Terry Stafford's "Suspicion," on the pink Collectables label...ugh) was the only one still on the shelves. Just before we moved the AM out, several FM jocks came to pick through the 45s for a 1976 class reunion dance they were emceeing, and those never made it back in the stacks. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the Rivers record ended up. :(

It's possible KDWB might have played the Soul City mono promo I mailed to them... if they ever "got it." I lost count of the number of times I pulled fifty copies of one of our top albums from warehouse stock at Heilichers, cut the corners and sent them to KDWB for giveaways and received "we never got them" replies. If they ended up beating the competition by actually giving them all away, fine, but c'mon. The labels knew what was really going on and began requiring purchase authorizations in advance before accepting promotional chargebacks from stock.

So I don't know which Rivers version those scoundrels aired, either. ;)

Edited by Yah Shure on 01 March 2016 at 7:29pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version