Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Single/album version distinctions... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I own the promo CD single of Coolio's "Fantastic Voyage," and I used to own the cassette single. I can verify the cassette single used the Radio Version (which was the "clean" album version, replacing a line or two -- "don't you say shit" was replaced with "don'tcha say a word" -- and blanking out the swearing), running 4:03 b/w the Timber Radio Mix, running 4:00.

The promo CD single contains:

1. Timber Radio Edit (listed 4:04, actual 4:00)
2. Radio Version (listed 4:04, actual 4:03)

The commercial maxi-CD contained:

1. Album Version (actual 4:04)
2. Timber Mix 5:32
3. Dave Bellachio Street Mix 4:20
4. QDII Remix 4:30
5. U Know Whoo! (Album Version 3:51)
6. Fantastic Voyage (QDIII BOnus Beats 4:30)

Now... here's where the real confusion comes in. There were AT LEAST two pressings of the album, maybe more. Both the commercial and promotional "clean versions" of the album (that I own) use the Timber Radio Edit of Fantastic Voyage (and matrix numbers reveal them to be the same disc. But on the commercial version, the running time is listed as 5:32, which is the running time of the full Timber Mix. The promo album lists it as 4:04, which is the running time of the original "dirty" album mix.

Now, where this 4:14 run time from Joel Whitburn comes from, I don't know, but it's likely another typo.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Just as a note, you can easily tell the difference between the two mixes -- the Timber Radio Edit starts out with a moment of solo "guitar" picking, and the song ends cold. The Radio Version just starts out with the beat, and fades out at the end.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Todd Ireland wrote:
Brandy - I Wanna Be Down ==> Album version - 4:51. (Whitburn - 4:03) (available on vinyl 45)
The CD single appears to contain the "LP Version". But given Whitburn's listed run time, I'm wondering if the cassette single might feature a different mix or edit on the A-side?

Yes, the cassette single used the "LP Edit." I remember buying the cassette single and then going through quite a lot of trouble to find the promo CD single to get that version. It runs 4:07 on the promo, which incorrectly lists it as 4:17. (The promo has a totally different cover than the commercial cassette and CD -- I remember I switched the front insert card so my promo copy would match the commercial single!)

Todd Ireland wrote:
Brandy - Baby ==> Single version - 4:19*

Verified -- same as the lead-off track on the commercial CD maxi-single and the two-track cassette single.

Todd Ireland wrote:
Brandy & Monica - The Boy Is Mine ==> Single version - 3:59*. Album version - 4:54. (Whitburn - 4:00) (available on vinyl 45)

Verified with my commercial CD single, which was backed with the LP-length instrumental.

Todd Ireland wrote:
Brandy - Have You Ever? ==> Album version - 4:31. (Whitburn - 3:33) (available on vinyl 45)
My sources say the commercial single features what appears to be the radio edit.

Yes, my commercial CD single uses the "Single Edit" at 3:33, b/w a remix of the song "Top of the World."

Todd Ireland wrote:

Busta Rhymes - Woo-Hah!! Got You All in Check ==> Album version - 4:31. (Whitburn - 4:15)
Commercial singles all feature the "Radio Edit" as the lead track or the A-side. Joel Whitburn reports the commercial single run time to be 4:15, as indicated in parenthesis proceeding the album version run time above.
Todd Ireland wrote:

My promo CD single with the "Radio Edit" runs 4:12.

I've got more of these on commercial CD singles, so more later.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 24 March 2005 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I just realized Brian has already answered my question regarding which version of Coolio's "1,2,3,4 (Sumpin' New)" appears on the commercial CD single. I'll reprint here what he posted about it on the "cassette singles different from the 45" thread:

Brian W. wrote:
Coolio - 1,2,3,4 (Sumpin' New) This was a two-track CD single in the US, which used the "dirty" Timber Mix (3:20) b/w the song "Smilin'" (4:09)

The two-track cassette single used the Timber Mix Clean Version (3:20), with all the swearing bleeped out, b/w the Clean Album Version. I did manage to get Timber Mix Clean on an import CD Single (Tommy Boy 0630-14514-2, UPC 7 0630145142 7), but i don't know that I ever found the Clean Album Version. They were probably both on the promo CD, but I don't have it.

I have some other updates to report, thanks to some much appreciated help from Edtop40. He will be working more closely with me in verifying many of the single run times I've inquired about in this thread.

Another Bad Creation - Iesha ==> Single length - 4:17. Album length - 4:21.
Ed has the song on cassette single and says it is the same as the album version, except the single fades out a few seconds sooner at 4:17. He also notes the cassingle's label and cardboard sleeve both state "LP version".

Michael Bolton featuring Kenny G - Missing You Now
Ed informs me that the run time is 4:33 on the commercial cassette single and is identical to the album version. This means the 4:24 version that appears on Greatest Hits 1985-1995 (Columbia 67300), Love Songs (Columbia/Legacy 85351), and Timeless (The Classics)/Timeless (The Classics) Vol. 2/Love Songs (Columbia/Legacy 86065) fades out :09 sooner than the commercial single and album version.

Natalie Cole - Pink Cadillac ==> Single version - 4:14. Album version - 4:27.
The word from Ed here is the song runs 4:14 on the commercial 45, just as the label's run time states.

Celine Dion - (If There Was) Any Other Way ==> Single length - 4:13. Album length - 4:00.
Ed verified the time on his commercial cassette single copy. This is a fairly rare case where the single runs longer than the album version.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 March 2005 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Todd Ireland wrote:
Celine Dion - (If There Was) Any Other Way ==> Single length - 4:13. Album length - 4:00.
Ed verified the time on his commercial cassette single copy. This is a fairly rare case where the single runs longer than the album version.

Is the (4:13) single a 45 length or is it a distinct "version"?

Edited by Moderator on 24 March 2005 at 5:55am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 March 2005 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I asked Ed if the commercial single version of "(If There Was) Any Other Way" is a different mix than the LP version. He sent me an mp3 copy and I did an A/B comparison to the 4:00 version on my Celine Dion Unison CD. Basically the mixes are very similar. However, the single version does have reverb added to it, which is most noticeable on the song's opening percussion strikes. The single mix also has an added synthesizer overdub from 2:49-2:51.

Ed and I both say the 4:13 single is a distinct version. So my comments for "(If There Was) Any Other Way" should be revised to read: Single version - 4:13. Album version - 4:00.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 April 2005 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Here are a few updates...

Another Bad Creation - Iesha
I'm still trying to find out if the 3:10 version is a DJ edit or if it's on commercial vinyl 45 copies.

Collective Soul - Shine
I now have a promo CD copy of Atlantic PRCD 5655. It contains one track - Radio Edit - and runs 3:54. The radio edit is an edit of the single remix version found on the commercial cassette single.

Collective Soul - December ==> Single version - 4:10. Album version - 4:45.
The single version run time has now been verified.

By the way, I want to thank Brian for his recent contributions to this thread. I hope he'll continue to share more commercial single info in the future.

Back to the list we go!

Gloria Estefan - Live for Loving You ==> Album version - 4:36. (Whitburn - 4:14) (available on vinyl 45)
The single version is a remix.

Gloria Estefan - Heaven's What I Feel ==> Single version - 4:33*. Album version - 5:02. (available on vinyl 45)

Deon Estus with George Michael - Heaven Help Me ==> Album version - 4:38. (Whitburn - 4:25) (available on vinyl 45)

Melissa Etheridge - If I Wanted To ==> Single version - 3:29*. Album version - 3:54. (Whitburn - 3:27) (available on vinyl 45)
My research indicates maxi-CD single copies feature a "night mix". Anyone know if this is a different mix than the edit on commercial cassette and vinyl single copies?

Faith Evans - Soon As I Get Home ==> Album version - 5:21. (Whitburn - 4:34)

Eve - Gotta Man ==> Album version - 4:24. (Whitburn - 5:49)
This single was only available commercially on a 12-inch vinyl format.

Everything but the Girl - Missing ==> Single version - 4:09*. Original album version - 4:03. (Whitburn - 4:11)
I believe the commercial cassette single features the "Todd Terry Club Mix" on the A-side, which is the remix most commonly found on CD and most often heard on radio. Although the 10th edition of T40MOCD doesn't mention it, the "Todd Terry Club Mix" does appear as Track 11 on the Amplified Heart (Atlantic 82605) CD. I no longer have this CD, but my research indicates the run time for this remix is 4:09.

Elisa Fiorillo - On the Way Up ==> Single version - 3:57. Album version - 4:17.

Lisa Fischer - How Can I Ease the Pain ==> Single version - 4:13. Album version - 5:24.

Fleetwood Mac - Save Me ==> Single length - 4:05. Album length - 4:13. (available on vinyl 45)

Foreigner - Say You Will ==> Album version - 4:11. (Whitburn - 3:59) (available on vinyl 45)
The run time printed on the 45 label is 3:59.

Four Seasons - December 1963 (Oh, What a Night)
I used to have the '94 remix on cassette single and I'm pretty sure it contained the 6:13 full length version as the leadoff track. Maybe someone can time their copy and verify it with us just to be sure. If I recall correctly, the cassingle also contains two radio edits.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 April 2005 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Looks like we can file away the following cases as "solved"...

Aaliyah - The One I Gave My Heart To ==> Single version - 3:53. Album version - 4:29.
Thank you, Edtop40, for confirming this.

Herb Alpert - Making Love in the Rain ==> Single version - 4:06. Album version - 5:54.
Ed informs me the vinyl 45 actually runs 4:06, not 3:50 as stated on the record label.

Black Box - I Don't Know Anybody Else ==> Single version - 4:00. Album version - 4:32.
Ed reports the cassette single contains the "Edit" and runs 4:00, which is two seconds longer than the "Edit" runs on my promo CD (RCA 2738-2-RDJ).

Everything but the Girl - Missing ==> Single version - 4:06. Album version - 4:03.
Ok, Ed confirms the cassette single indeed features the "Todd Terry Club Mix" and says his copy runs 4:06. This is a few seconds shorter than it runs on my promo disc and I believe on the Amplifed Heart (atlantic 82605) CD as well, but I'll go with his time since he's actually using a commercial single copy. The single version appears on the various artist disc The Absolute Hits (Atlantic 83158).

Foreigner - Say You Will ==> Single length - 3:59. Album length - 4:11.
The vinyl 45 is an early fade of the LP, according to my Top 40 music collecting partner-in-crime.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2005 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thank you, Edtop40, for verifying the following:

Ace of Base - Living in Danger ==> Single version - 3:09. Album version - 3:41.
Commercial single copies indeed contain a single remix which runs 3:09.

All Saints - I Know Where It's At ==> Single version - 4:01. Album version - 5:08.
The commercial CD single track listing and actual run times are: 1) Gutfather & Jo's Alternative Mix - Radio (4:01); 2) Original Radio Mix (4:00). The Gutfather & Jo's Alternative Mix is considered the official A-side and the version I was accustomed to hearing on Top 40 radio. What makes this mix most distinguishable is the room full of chattering people heard during the first :03 before the music starts. Promo CD single copies on London PRCD 7683-2 contain the same two tracks as the commercial single, so the Original Radio Mix may have gotten some airplay as well.

Double - The Captain of Her Heart ==> Single version - 3:59. Album version - 4:31.

We now continue...

Aretha Franklin - Another Night ==> Album version - 4:28. (Whitburn - 3:57) (available on vinyl 45)

Aretha Franklin - A Rose Is Still a Rose ==> Single version - 3:59. Album version - 4:26.
The first :01 of the single version is a capella. The single version also does not contain the spoken intro found on the album version. I don't have the Ultimate Dance Party 1999 (Arista 19026) CD, but the 10th edition of T40MOCD lists "A Rose Is Still a Rose" as running (3:57) on this disc. It might be the single version.

Debbie Gibson - Staying Together ==> Album version - 4:04. (Whitburn - 4:15) (available on vinyl 45)

Gin Blossoms - Follow You Down ==> Single version - 3:44. Album version - 4:28. (available on vinyl 45)

Ginuwine - Pony ==> Cassette single version? - 4:11*. Album version - 5:24. (Whitburn - 4:11)
The 4:11 edit of "Pony" was widely played on radio, but I'm not clear though if this edit is the single version or a DJ edit. Whitburn lists the cassette single run time at 4:11. Commercial CD single copies meanwhile appear to state "album version" on the jacket. Whatever the case, the single version (radio edit?) can be found on the R&B: From Doo-Wop to Hip-Hop (Columbia/Epic/Legacy 65801) 2-disc set. Can anyone verify if the single version (radio edit?) is also on any of the following CDs: Sony Music 100 Years: Soundtrack for a Century (Box Set) (Columbia/Epic/Legacy 65750), Urban Legends (Epic 86504), and Monsta Jamz (Razor & Tie 89053)?

Glass Tiger - I Will Be There ==> Album version - 3:26. (Whitburn - 3:08) (available on vinyl 45)

GTR - When the Heart Rules the Mind ==> Album version - 5:26. (Whitburn - 3:58) (available on vinyl 45)
My sources suggest there are two 45 versions of this song. The printed run times for them are reported to be 3:58 and 4:27.

Aaron Hall - All the Places (I Will Kiss You) ==> CD single version - 5:14. Album version - 3:58.
Was this song ever made available on cassette single? If so, I'd like to know which version of the song was on it.

Hanson - MMMBop ==> Single version - 3:56*. Album version - 4:26. (Whitburn - 3:58) (available on vinyl 45)

Heavy D - Big Daddy ==> Album version - 4:09. (Whitburn - 3:48)
Commercial CD single copies state "Lp version" on the back cover. I haven't come across a cassette single copy though, which is supposedly what Whitburn used as his source to come up with his 3:48 run time.

Hootie & The Blowfish - Let Her Cry ==> Single verison - 4:10*. Album version - 5:07. (Whitburn - 4:12) (available on vinyl 45)

Whitney Houston - All the Man That I Need ==> Album version - 4:09. (Whitburn - 3:53) (available on vinyl 45)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 April 2005 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pony - Ginuwine - There actually wasn't an "edit" of this song. The reason that the Album Version is listed as 5:24 is because at the end of the song (at 4:11 or so), there was an interlude before the next track. This interlude was not given a seperate track, but just like on the singles for "Pony" the song on the actual album fades all the way out around 4:11.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2005 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, Aaron K., for clearing up the details regarding Ginuwine's "Pony".

All right, first some updates...

Aaliyah - If Your Girl Only Knew
A while back, Aaron reported his commercial CD single contains the "LP Version" and a few remixes. The commercial cassette single looks to be a different story. I spotted a used cassingle copy at a local record shop and the cardboard sleeve states it contains the "radio edit" with a printed run time of 3:55. My girlfriend says she has a copy so I will borrow it from her and come back with the official verdict.

Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars
Ed has a commercial cassette single copy and says it contains the "LP version" and runs 4:51. Meanwhile, I'm getting conflicting reports as to whether an "edit" version appears on the two track commercial CD single. The edit can be found on promo CD single copies (A&M AMCDP 0012) with an actual run time of 4:21. It is an edit of the LP version. Interestingly, I have what claims to be the "radio edit" of "Counting Blue Cars" on my Promo Only: Mainstream Radio DJ CD series but it runs 4:28. Upon closer examination, it too is an edit of the LP version and not a remix as I've previously stated. I have not seen an official promo CD single release with this 4:28 edit though.

Deon Estus with George Michael - Heaven Help Me ==> Single version - 4:27. Album version - 4:38.
Thanks to Edtop40 for confirming his vinyl 45 copy.

Now, here's my next batch of entries....

Whitney Houston - Step by Step ==> Album version - 4:32. (Whitburn - 4:09) (available on vinyl 45)
Commercial cassette single copies are reported to contain the "album version" with a printed run time of 4:12.

Whitney Houston featuring Faith Evans and Kelly Price - Heartbreak Hotel ==> Single version - 4:04. Album version - 4:41.
Commercial CD single copies feature the "Original Radio Mix" and runs 4:04, not 3:59 as printed on the cardboard sleeve. The single version of "Heartbreak Hotel" appears on Houston's The Greatest Hits (Arista 14626).

Adina Howard - Freak Like Me ==> Single version - 4:04*. Album version - 4:12. (Whitburn - 3:58)

H-Town - Knockin' Da Boots ==> Single version - 4:32. Album version - 5:27.
Ed was kind enough to e-mail me an mp3 of the "single version" from his commercial cassette single copy. I compared it to the 4:27 version on the Strip Jointz - Hot Songs for Sexy Dancers (Robbins 75002) CD and made an interesting discovery. The 4:27 version on the Strip Jointz CD is essentially the single version except it's missing the spoken dialogue and background vocals during the first :33. The song also fades out :05 sooner on this CD than on the comercial single version. I'm not aware if a promo CD was ever issued for this song containing a "no talk" intro.

Human League - Tell Me When ==> Single version length - 4:42. Album version length - 4:50. (available on vinyl 45)
The single version appears on the Very Best Of (Ark21 10034) CD. I don't have the 4:50 album version from the band's Octopus (EastWest 61788) disc. Therefore, could someone who has both of these CDs tell me if the single is an edit or an early fade of the album version?

Ice Cube featuring Das EFX - Check Yo Self ==> Album version - 3:42. (Whitburn - 3:54)

Immature - Constantly ==> Album version - 5:42. (Whitburn - 4:05)

Immature featuring Smooth and Ed from Good Burger - Watch Me Do My Thing ==> Album version - 3:50. (Whitburn - 3:39)
Commercial cassette copies are reported to contain the "Radio Version" with a printed run time of 3:46.

Indecent Obsession - Tell Me Something ==> Album version - 4:30. (Whitburn - 4:00) (available on vinyl 45)

James Ingram - I Don't Have the Heart ==> Single length - 3:59. Album length - 4:11. (available on vinyl 45)

Intro - Come Inside ==> Album version - 8:07. (Whitburn - 4:07)
Commercial single copies do indicate "radio edit" as the A-side or leadoff track.

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game ==> Album version - 4:46. (Whitburn - 4:06) (available on vinyl 45)
Vinyl 45 copies are reported to state "edit" on the record label. The single edit should be on the cassette single as well.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 April 2005 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I have a 4-track CD single (commercial) of Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars and it contains the LP Version.

With regards to H-Town - Knockin' Da Boots, I've never seen the promo CD single, but when I played it on top 40 radio back in the day, we used a copy from the "Hitmakers" CD series (sent only to radio stations), and the mix was labeled as "Top 40 Edit" on the tray card of the disc. It was the 4:30 (time unconfirmed) version that did not contain the spoken dialogue at the beginning.

Also, on Ice Cube f/Das EFX - Check Yo Self, Whitburn is probably listing the time for the remix version, which was the hit. The remix featured the sample of "The Message," while the album version was drastically different.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 April 2005 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

One more thing on Everything But The Girl - Missing, the promo single we used to play (PRCD6519) had a version called "Remix Edit," which was very close, but not identical, to the "Todd Terry Club Mix." I don't have my commercial maxi single nearby to compare, but I recall the intros being different.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 April 2005 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I have the commercial CD maxi-single for "Freak Like Me"
by Adina Howard (Mecca Don/EastWest 66175-2). The track
listing is as follows:

01) Radio Version (4:05) (actual: 4:06)
02) Dub Instrumental (4:12) (actual: 4:11)
03) Boogieless (1:04) (actual: 1:03)
04) Remix (4:16) (actual: 4:16)
05) Remix Without Rap (4:05) (actual: 4:05)
06) Instrumental (4:11) (actual: 4:11)
07) A Cappella (2:34) (actual: 2:34)

I also have the promo CD single for "Freak Like Me"
(Mecca Don/EastWest PRCD 9094-2). It features track #1,
#3, #4, and #5 from the commercial maxi-single above.
Hope this helps...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2005 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Edtop40 informs me he also has Dishwalla's "Counting Blue Cars" on the commercial two track CD single released on A&M 1462 and says it contains the LP version with a run time of 4:53. It's beginning to look like all commercial single copies of "Counting Blue Cars" have the LP version. If this is indeed the case, then of course the 4:21 version is a radio edit. I'll continue to do some more research on this though before I come to a definite conclusion.

As for H-Town's "Knockin' Da Boots", I haven't seen a promo CD single for this song either. But you'd think an official promo disc containing the single version or the Top 40 edit must've been made available to radio stations somehow. Otherwise, they'd have all had to play the song either from a subscription promo CD series (like "Hitmakers") or the long 5:27 LP version.

Regarding Everything But the Girl's "Missing", I've seen a promo CD single on Atlantic PRCD-5917-2 with the following track listing and printed run times:

1) Album Mix - 4:04
2) Remix Edit - 4:09
3) Lite Mix - 4:05

Then there's also the promo CD on Atlantic PRCD-6519 Aaron describes which has the Remix Edit and Album Version only.

By the way... Thanks, Aaron and 80smusicfreak, for your most recent input!

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2005 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<James Ingram - I Don't Have the Heart ==> Single length - 3:59. Album length - 4:11. (available on vinyl 45) >

I don't know about this, Todd. Does it just fade earlier?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2005 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

EdisonLite:

The commercial cassette single states I Don't Have the Heart (Fade) on the cassette itself. The promo CD single (Warner Bros. PRO-CD-3939) contains:

1) Fade - 3:59
2) LP Version - 4:11

I did an A/B comparison between the two tracks and the single is definitely just an early fade to me. Are you hearing something on the commercial single to make you think otherwise?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2005 at 4:12am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I have the promo CD as well, and as far as I can tell it's just an early fade of the LP version.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2005 at 4:30am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

My promo CD of "Missing" (PRCD 5917-2) contains:

1. Album Mix (actual 4:03)
2. Remix Edit (actual 4:09) (45 version)
3. Lite Mix (actual 4:04)

Actually, the Lite Mix is nothing like the Todd Terry Remix Edit. There's no dance beat at all -- it's almost a cappella, with repeated synthesizer notes throughout the song, though there is a brief acoustic guitar intro. The Lite mix was released commercially on the US maxi-CD single, which did not contain the Remix Edit.

I recall that some import singles used a different edit of the Todd Terry Club Mix.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2005 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Freddie Jackson - He'll Never Love You (Like I Do) ==> Single version - 4:03. Album version - 4:43. (available on vinyl 45)
Thanks, Ed, for confirming your vinyl 45 copy.

Janet Jackson - Any Time, Any Place ==> Album version - 7:08. (Whitburn - 5:13) (available on vinyl 45)
My sources show the commercial CD single features the "R. Kelly Mix" as the leadoff track with a printed run time of 5:08.

Janet Jackson - You Want This ==> Single version - 4:46. Album version - 5:05. (available on vinyl 45)
The single version is a remix.

Janet Jackson - Together Again ==> Single version - 4:06*. Album version - 5:01. (Whitburn - 4:07) (available on vinyl 45)

Jesus Jones - Right Here, Right Now ==> Album version - 3:07. (Whitburn - 3:01)
Commercial single copies feature the "Righteous Radio Mix" as the A-side or leadoff track. This mix is believed to be different than the album version. I just ordered a copy of this CD single, so I'll give you the scoop when it arrives.

Joan Jett - Little Liar ==> Album version - 3:59. (Whitburn - 3:49) (available on vinyl 45)
Commercial single copies feature the "Baby Tush Mix" as the A-side or leadoff track. This mix is believed to be different than the album version.

Jewel - You Were Meant for Me ==> Single version - 3:45*. Album version - 4:12. (Whitburn - 3:45)
The single version is actually a re-recording.

Jodeci - Forever My Lady ==> Single version - 4:21. Album version - 5:19.
Props go out to Ed for confirming this one, too!

Jodeci - Come & Talk to Me ==> Album version - 4:35. (Whitburn - 4:07) (available on vinyl 45)
The commercial CD single features the "Album Edit" as the leadoff track with a printed run time of 4:02.

Jodeci - Feenin' ==> Album version - 5:10 (Whitburn - 4:15)

Joceci - Freek 'n You ==> Album version - 6:19. (Whitburn - 5:06)

Joe - All the Things (Your Man Won't Do) ==> Album version - 6:19. (Whitburn - 4:12) (available on vinyl 45)

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version