Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Stars on 45 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 July 2011 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Wikipedia claims here that the 12" of the hit "Medley" ran 9:45 on the original (Dutch?) release, 10:15 on the U.S.A. 12", and 11:30 in West Germany.

I only find what I assume is the original Dutch mix on iTunes, at 9:45.

I also have a copy of the album version (Stars On Long Play), running about 15 minutes.

My question is, can I re-create the American 12" version of the Stars On 45 Medley from the album version, or some combination of the original single and the album version?

Also, the database claims a shorter version existed (perhaps for DJs?) running just over 3 minutes... can THAT be edited from the 7" single version, and if so, where do you cut?

Thanks, as always for any help you can offer!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 July 2011 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Don't know about the 12" version, but the promo edit simply starts with "1, 2, 3, 4...This happened once before..." Everything prior to that point is chopped off.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2011 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The music prior to the "1, 2, 3, 4" countoff slightly crossfades over the "1...". Is it like that on the promo 45?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

aaronk wrote:
Don't know about the 12" version, but the promo edit simply starts with "1, 2, 3, 4...This happened once before..." Everything prior to that point is chopped off.

So you're saying the "Venus" and "Sugar Sugar did not appear on the US Promo version? I'll be damned. I've only ever heard the version on the radio that is on the stock 45-rpm disc.

So what is on the 9+ minute version (or Dutch version) of Stars on 45?

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

I guess I should clarify. I know the stock 45 as starting with "Venus", not the Stars On 45 intro.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 July 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

NightAire wrote:
Wikipedia claims here that the 12" of the hit "Medley" ran 9:45 on the original (Dutch?) release, 10:15 on the U.S.A. 12", and 11:30 in West Germany.

I only find what I assume is the original Dutch mix on iTunes, at 9:45.

I also have a copy of the album version (Stars On Long Play), running about 15 minutes.

My question is, can I re-create the American 12" version of the Stars On 45 Medley from the album version, or some combination of the original single and the album version?

Also, the database claims a shorter version existed (perhaps for DJs?) running just over 3 minutes... can THAT be edited from the 7" single version, and if so, where do you cut?

Thanks, as always for any help you can offer!

The U.S. 12" version (Radio Records ST-DM-39802-SP) is (mostly) a combination of the 7" medley and the "Boogie Nights" medley on Side 2 of the Stars On Long Play U.S. LP. Basically, the Beatles portion of the 7" medley has been cut into the Boogie Nights medley after the "Sugar Sugar/1-2-3-4" snippet (just as it is on the 45) and cuts back into the Boogie Nights medley at the "Cathy's Clown" section after "You're Going To Lose That Girl". The only other difference is that the 12" version starts with the two "Let's do it" refrains (from the intro of Side 1 of the LP) before going into the Boogie Nights medley.

Unfortunately, the LP version of the Boogie Nights medley has never been issued in its entirety on CD, so it is not possible to recreate the 12" version from CD sources.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 July 2011 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

I an sure everyone is aware of this but figured I would share for anyone who didn't know of this. The "Stars on 45 Medley" was originally part of a Bootleg 12" called "Bits and Pieces III".   The bootleg actually used the real Beatles tracks and the Stars on 45 release is almost exactly how the bootleg sounded. See the attached link and go to the 5:52 mark and you can hear it as it originally sounded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTgVkxKcrEk&feature=related

Enjoy!
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2011 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Fetta wrote:
I am sure everyone is aware of this but figured I would share for anyone who didn't know of this. The "Stars on 45 Medley" was originally part of a Bootleg 12" called "Bits and Pieces III".   The bootleg actually used the real Beatles tracks and the Stars on 45 release is almost exactly how the bootleg sounded. See the attached link and go to the 5:52 mark and you can hear it as it originally sounded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTgVkxKcrEk&feature=related

Enjoy!
I've heard Barry Scott play this before. Pretty cool using the orginals. I think it was a lawsuit back then that forced the producers into using studio singers instead.

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 August 2011 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

budaniel wrote:
it's unfortunate that none of their US LPs have gotten an exact CD release.
I have a number of "stars on" imports, and while they are all loaded with
most of the medleys recorded, they are often either edited, or songs
within medleys are completely rearranged and out of order from the
original versions, or missing a few tracks from the original medleys.

For those handful of Stars on 45 fans out there, be aware that there is a recent import release on Red Bullet called "30 Years Anniversary Of Stars on 45" (a rather grammatically challenged title). It contains two medleys from the original series of "Stars on Long Play" albums that had never been released in their entirety on CD until now: the long Abba medley from side 2 of "Stars on Long Play II" and the long Rolling Stones medley from "Stars on Long Play III".

Unfortunately, the sound quality isn't that great. The EQ is heavy-handed (rather smiley-faced); dynamic range is a bit squashed but not too bad. While I don't hear any obvious vinyl tics, there is some distortion that makes me wonder if these might be cleaned up vinyl transfers. It's hard to tell.

Of the original LP medleys, that only leaves the "Boogie Nights" medley from side 2 of the first album that has not appeared in full on CD in some manner.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Jody Thornton wrote:

So you're saying the "Venus" and "Sugar Sugar did not appear on the US Promo version? I'll be damned. I've only ever heard the version on the radio that is on the stock 45-rpm disc.

The station I worked at in '82-83 had a version with the "stars on 45" chorus at the end edited off too. I'm guessing it was a house edit (it was on cart, as was everything we played), though I'm not sure why.

Santi Paradoa wrote:
I think it was a lawsuit back then that forced the producers into using studio singers instead.

Never heard that before, but IMHO the medleys flow a lot better with the studio singers. Compare some of the original artist medleys from that time (the CCR one is just full of train wreck edits, the Supremes one not much better). I can only imagine how those "Stars" medleys would have sounded with the original song samples.

Edited by Hykker on 25 August 2011 at 1:23pm
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The original "Bits & Pieces III" medley was actually done very well, and sounds surprisingly close to the Stars On 45 version. No train wrecks at all; it was a thing of beauty.

It wasn't legal, though, because they never got the rights to use any of the songs. Even if the producers had tried, it would be highly doubtful that EMI would agree to having their songs used.

As I understand it, Jaap Eggermont held the rights to "Venus", and was more than a little annoyed to hear the song used in this bootleg 12" single. There was no record company to go after, so he thought he'd fight it by producing a sound-alike version and releasing it legitimately. It worked. Sold millions.

I agree about the other single-artist medleys. The CCR one is particularly dreadful. (Those horrible medleys are perfect for the radio show. If you've got any recommendations, let me know - the worse the medley, the better it is on the radio!)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 06 January 2014 at 9:19pm

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 August 2011 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

crapfromthepast wrote:
Those horrible medleys
are perfect for the radio show. If you've got any
recommendations, let me know - the worse the medley, the
better it is on the radio!

Try to track down a really obscure K-Tel album from the early 80s called "Dance Dance Dance". It's a compilation of medleys from that era. It contains two of the Stars on 45 singles (the original medley and the Abba medley), but performed by a "soundalike" group rather than the original Stars on 45. Yes, it's a soundalike of a soundalike...and quite terrible.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2014 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Just compared the version on Keep On Dancing (1991) to the true 45.

There are two differences, both of which aren't too significant. First, the version on Keep On Dancing fades too early, with the fade beginning about 6 seconds too early and ending about 2 seconds too early. And second, the true 45 has an editing artifact right before the first beat of the song. The artifact is about 0.06 seconds long, and is omitted from the Keep On Dancing version. If you create your own edit from one of the European CDs, you'll also omit the artifact.

Disky in Europe included the 4:51 version of the Beatles Medley (UK 45 version?) on two different 8-CD sets called Greatest Hits Of The '80s, one in 1998, one in 2002. I used the 2002 set as the source for my own homemade US 45 version; I can live without the editing artifact from the true US 45.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 06 January 2014 at 9:18pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2014 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

This just gets more and more messy...

There are three differences between the "Beatles Medley" on The Very Best Of Stars On 45 CD (Music Club/Music Collection International MCCD 192) and the true LP version (i.e., the entire side one of the Stars On 45 LP): First, the CD version on The Very Best Of is 2.3% too slow. Second, The Very Best Of includes a 32-beat section of "From Me To You" between "Please Please Me" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand". The true US LP version doesn't have "From Me To You", and goes straight from "Please Please Me" to "I Want To Hold Your Hand". The "From Me To You" section is from 14:17 to 14:33 of the CD version (without being sped up) and would start at 13:58 of the true US LP version.

Third, the CD version fades about seven seconds too early. So even if you go to the trouble of speeding up the CD version by 2.3% and editing out "From Me To You", you still run short. (I'll save you the trouble of repeating my mistake.)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 06 January 2014 at 9:20pm

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2014 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

crapfromthepast wrote:
Just compared the version on
Keep On Dancing
(1991) to the true 45.

There are two differences, both of which aren't too
significant. First, the version on Keep On
Dancing
fades too early, with the fade beginning
about 6 seconds too early and ending about 2 seconds too
early. And second, the true 45 has an editing artifact
right before the first beat of the song. The artifact is
about 0.06 seconds long, and is omitted from the Keep
On Dancing
version. If you create your own edit from
one of the European CDs, you'll also omit the artifact.

Disky in Europe included the 4:51 version of the Beatles
Medley (UK 45 version?) on two different 8-CD sets called
Greatest Hits Of The '80s, one in 1998, one in
2002. I used the 2002 set as the source for my own
homemade US 45 version; I can live without the editing
artifact from the true US 45.

Yes, that fleeting anomaly just before the first downbeat
on the U.S. 45 sounds like the last .06 seconds of the
"...reply-hi-hi-hi" refrain from the UK 45 version, which
began with the Stars on 45 theme before segueing into
"Venus". I suspect that Radio Records created the U.S.
45 from a copy tape of the U.K. 45 and decided to omit
the opening Stars on 45 theme segment. Unfortunately
they missed the downbeat edit point by a hair.

The version on the "Keep on Dancing" CD sounds infinitely
better than the original Radio Records 45, despite the
missing error in the intro. Whoever mastered this CD got
access to a really good source tape.

Edited by Roscoe on 05 January 2014 at 7:37pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2014 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Jody Thornton wrote:
aaronk wrote:
Don't know about the 12"
version, but the promo edit simply starts with "1, 2, 3, 4...This
happened once before..." Everything prior to that point is chopped off.

So you're saying the "Venus" and "Sugar Sugar did not appear on the US
Promo version? I'll be damned. I've only ever heard the version on the
radio that is on the stock 45-rpm disc.

So what is on the 9+ minute version (or Dutch version) of Stars on 45?
Jody, with this thread being revived, I just wanted to clarify
Aaron's earlier point, regarding the full, actual contents of the promo
45. And yes, while one side of it did include that shorter edit, sans
"Venus" and "Sugar Sugar", the other side of that promo 45 did feature
the exact same, longer edit that appeared on the stock 45. In 1981, I
never personally heard (or heard of) any Top 40 station playing the
promo 45's short version on-air. (Although somebody must have,
somewhere.) For our purposes here, however, we consider both to be
"valid" versions, simply because the record label both created it, and
then sent copies of it to radio.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Roscoe

<The version on the "Keep on Dancing" CD sounds infinitely better than the original Radio Records 45>

How does the Varese Sarabande CD compare to the "Keep On Dancing" CD? I only have the VS.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

From memory, I think the VS comp uses a nicely cleaned up 45 dub.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I didn't even know that came from 45! So is the hit US sv available on any CD worldwide from a tape source and without editing it?

UPDATE: I just checked the database and it doesn't say the VS CD uses a vinyl source. Can you please update it, if Aaron's assessment is correct (and I don't know why it wouldn't be :)

Edited by EdisonLite on 06 January 2014 at 8:33pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

crapfromthepast wrote:
Disky in Europe included the 4:51 version of the Beatles Medley (UK 45 version?) on two different 8-CD sets called Greatest Hits Of The '80s, one in 1998, one in 2002. I used the 2002 set as the source for my own homemade US 45 version; I can live without the editing artifact from the true US 45.

The copy on the Disky collection is much better sounding than the Keep On Dancing compilation, IMO. It sounds like a lower generation tape. It's not as hissy and compressed.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version