Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Santana- "No One To Depend On" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
john halloran
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 March 2006 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote john halloran

For those of you who have been waiting, the new SonyMusic release of "Santana III-Legacy Edition" does include the long awaited 45 version of "No One to Depend On". First time on disc.

This is significant as a marked departure for Sony/Legacy/Columbia/Epic, the main offender in refusing to release 45 versions and dj edits as extras on the numerous compilation discs they market, but were the label(s) most prolific at issuing 45 edits at the time (60s, 70s).

Here's hoping they continue with Loggins and Messina Legacy editions, or maybe a stand-alone volume(s) of all the numerous edits and alternate 45 versions they released back in the day (I know,I'm dreaming).
Back to Top View john halloran's Profile Search for other posts by john halloran

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2006 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Excellent find, John. Just downloaded it off of iTunes.

Now, they need to do the same for "Oye Como Va" (never been issued) and the true 45s of "Hold On" and "You Know That I Love You" (I believe those 45s are gettable but with extended endings).

Edited by sriv94 on 10 March 2006 at 5:20pm

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2006 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I'm not sure I'm familiar with the 45 version of "No One to Depend On". Is it an edit of the LP version, or is it a different mix?

By the way, the following Santana hits can be found in their correct 45 version form and length on the group's The Ultimate Collection Dutch import 3-CD set (Sony Music Media SMMTV12):

"She's Not There" - 3:13
"You Know That I Love You" - 3:28
"Hold On" - 3:51

The CD package claims the contents of this three disc set are "all original re-mastered single versions". This is not correct though because many of the songs on here are LP versions. This best-of collection is still in print and can be purchased new for less than $20 on retail websites like half.com.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

john halloran
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote john halloran

It IS an edit of the LP version, with a two second loop from the instrumental break in the middle of the song at the beginning of the record. However, the ending is a cold two-note sting, whereas the LP version used an echo effect of the sting, and faded it over the following track on the LP. I don't know how you'll recreate the ending.
Back to Top View john halloran's Profile Search for other posts by john halloran

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

One can recreate the ending of the single edit with the lp version by doing what Columbia did--put a reverb blast on the last two notes (excising the seven echo trails).

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version