Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: michael jackson "wanna be startin" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nick2341
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 July 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Nick2341

Roscoe wrote:

A frustrating situation. If only they hadn't applied so much digital compression to boost the levels on the King Of Pop CD. But virtually all the MJ reissues and comps have used a similar mastering style, with the exception of the Thriller SACD.

I don't think much multiband compression was used in this case, but all of the songs clip (except for disc 3 in the UK set). For some songs, the distortion isn't noticeable, but others it's bad. I think WBSS is one where it's not so bad even though it is pretty loud.
Back to Top View Nick2341's Profile Search for other posts by Nick2341 Visit Nick2341's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Nick2341 wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

A frustrating situation. If only they hadn't applied so much digital compression to boost the levels on the King Of Pop CD. But virtually all the MJ reissues and comps have used a similar mastering style, with the exception of the Thriller SACD.

I don't think much multiband compression was used in this case, but all of the songs clip (except for disc 3 in the UK set). For some songs, the distortion isn't noticeable, but others it's bad. I think WBSS is one where it's not so bad even though it is pretty loud.

Yes, it's not distortion or clipping that's the problem...they just squashed the dynamic range to boost the volume. It's just too loud.

As an aside, I ended up reverting back to my old needledrop of the 45 for WBSS. The King of Pop CD is too loud as noted, and there are too many small differences to stitch together the 45 version from the 12 Inch Mixes CD.

Maybe with the renewed interest in MJ's music there may be a market for a "Complete Singles Collection" release, utilizing all the true 45 versions from the master tapes. If such a collection were mastered well, I would definitely buy it.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

also.....pat.....the vinyl 45's face states the run time as 4:15 but it actually runs 4:19

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version