Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: TLC Versions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 October 2005 at 2:07am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat said he wanted some help on figuring out some of the versions of TLC's top 40 hits, so I'll start a new thread...

"Creep" on the LaFace Platinum Collection runs short. I have never seen another source for this short version; however, to my ears, it sounds like an early fade of the LP/45 version. My CD maxi single, and I believe the promo single, has the full length LP version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 2:17am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

"Red Light Special" has a "radio edit," which appeared on the promo single, the UK import single, and I believe the US CD maxi, but I can't say for sure. My research indicates that the vinyl 45 and cassette single both contain the full LP version. The only difference between the LP and Radio Edit is that the intro of the Radio Edit is cut in half. (It might also fade a couple seconds early.) The listing on Now & Forever is most likely the Radio Edit.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 2:31am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The US maxi single of "Diggin' On You" uses the L.A. Live Remix as the lead track. The video also uses a remix, which I'm pretty sure is the L.A. Live Remix. Does anyone know if the two-track singles have the remix or LP version?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 2:42am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

"No Scrubs" - the version most commonly heard on the air was the Clean Version, which removed the lyrics "broke ass." The clean version of Fanmail also edited out those lyrics; however, if my memory serves me right, they were edited differently. On the promo single I used to play on the air, the words right before "broke ass" repeated (echoed), so it went like "...and just sits on his, on his, so..." On the clean album version, the word "ass" is simply muted.

I don't ever remember seeing a commercial CD or cassette released in the US, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. I know for certain that a 12" single was released, which I do own. The version listed in the database as "remix" on LaFace Platinum Collection is from the 12" single, which adds extra vocals/rap by Left Eye.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 2:52am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The promo single of "Unpretty" that I used to play on the air is labeled as Album Version; however I noticed that the run time on Fanmail is listed as (4:37). Although I don't have my copy of the full-length CD readily available, it's possible that the end of the song had a skit, which then segued into the next song.

The promo single times out at (4:08), which is 10 seconds shorter than the time Pat lists for Now & Forever. Perhaps Pat or someone else who owns this CD could say what the time discrepancy is.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 3:09am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Does anyone know where the strange edit of "Waterfalls" comes from on LaFace Platinum Collection? The only difference I hear between the "Single Edit" (45 version) and the one on this disc is that 11 seconds is edited out of the intro.

Also, on listening carefully to this version, it sounds like they pulled this from a source where the ending of another song very briefly overlaps the first couple drum beats at the beginning; however it is NOT the song from the preceding track on the CD. Unless someone can prove otherwise, I'll agree with Pat that the version on Platinum is neither.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

I asked Ed about the commercial single version for "Unpretty" last night and he indeed confirms it's the album version with a run time of 4:38. The 3:59 version appearing on the Now & Forever - The Hits CD is the same as the 4:08 "radio version" but faded early.

I have the radio version of "Unpretty" on one of my Promo Only DJ subscription CDs, but have had trouble finding this version on an actual promo CD single release. Aaron, could you tell me what is the catalog number on your promo copy and are there any other tracks on the disc besides the 4:08 radio version? Thanks!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 16 October 2005 at 9:56am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My actual copy of the single "Unpretty" is in Michigan, and for some reason, I don't have it listed in my database. I have a lot of my singles compiled on CD-Rs to save space, so that's the copy I was referencing. I just looked up a track listing online for LaFace 4391, which lists LP version, Instrumental, and Callout Hook. I'm thinking this is a case where the promo single is labeled incorrectly, and the "LP version" is really the "Radio Version." I distinctly remember playing the track on the air from the promo disc, and I know it didn't run the full (4:37). Does anyone have the promo CD who can verify that it's just a case of mislabeling?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

No, I have the US CD single of "No Scrubs," Aaron. I'm at work, so I'll check what versions are on it when I get home late tonight. It's in a card sleeve... I'm pretty sure it's a two-track.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I also looked up information on the "Red Light Special" promo CD on Arista LFPCD-4097 and have re-printed it here:

1) Radio Edit - 4:40
2) Alternate Radio Edit - 4:31
3) Album Version - 5:02
4) Album Instrumental - 5:02

Can you confirm if the run times are accurate? (I'm not terribly concerned with the instrumental version run time.) And am I correct in assuming that the more familiar radio edit is the one on Track 1 showing the 4:40 time?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Unfortunately, I don't own the promo single on this one; however, I have a copy of "Red Light Special" from a TM Century disc, which runs (4:33), so I'm thinking this is probably the "Alternate Radio Edit." (The disc doesn't specify a version.) Also, I don't have Now & Forever, so I can't verify the difference between the (4:33) edit I have and the (4:37) version on that disc.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

ok, fellas

here is all the info regarding tlc's commercially released singles

Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg   "single edit"    (4:09)
Baby-Baby-Baby      "album radio edit"   (4:17)
What About You Friends   "album radio edit(w/rap) (4:05)
Hat 2 Da Back        "radio edit"    (4:05)
Creep         & nbsp;  "album version"      (4:28)
Red Light Special   "album version"    (5:03)
Waterfalls        &n bsp; "single edit"     (4:18)
Diggin' On You      "album version"    (4:14)
No Scrubs           "album version-dirty" (3:39)
Unpretty        &nbs p;  "album version"    (4:38)

these are the stated versions on the cassingles

the last two are from cd singles......

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks again, Ed. I think there's not a question as to which version is the official 45 version. You have nicely summerized that in the above post. The question remains which version of "Red Light Special" is featured on Now & Forever? Is it the Radio Edit or Alternate Radio Edit or neither?

I think we can conclude, based on the info posted above by Todd, that the version of "Unpretty" on this same disc is the "Radio Version faded :09 early."

Unless someone can post otherwise, I think it can also be concluded that the version of "Creep" on LaFace Platinum Collection is "faded :34 early."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 October 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just recently acquired both the promo CD single and import CD single for TLC's "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg." There's one thing that puzzles me, though. I have a version from an Entertainment Weekly compilation called Hot Dance Mix (manufactured by Arista) that has alternate lyrics. This mix is not on the import CD or the promo CD. Where did it come from?

The version I'm referring to runs (4:01), and it cuts some of the spoken part before the first verse and has a different chorus:

"To the back is my hat and pants are slowly saggin'" replaces the line "Two inches to a yard, rock hard, or with it saggin'."

Was there perhaps another promo single that this version appeared on? Does anyone know the name of the mix?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron: I have 2 different promo CD singles for this, one with 3 versions, and another with 5 versions. I listened to all cuts on both, trying to find the "To the back is my hat" line in, and the "Two inches to a yard" line out. I could not find one - all vocal versions I have contain the latter line.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the info, Jim. For years, I always thought the clean version on my compilation CD was the official radio version, but now it seems that's not the case. I wonder if the record company had plans to release it to help it gain airplay, but due to its success they never did.

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2006 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote torcan

The version with alternate lyrics was played regularly by WKSE, Kiss 98.5 in my area, when the song was a hit. I also have the promo CD single and those lyrics aren't on it. Maybe there was another elusive promo single.
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 October 2006 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the info, torcan. Now I'm beginning to think there is another promo CD floating around out there.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

some of the notations of version are not in the db....the below should be added

Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg (single edit) (4:09)
Baby-Baby-Baby (album radio edit) (4:16)
What About You Friends (album radio edit w/rap) (4:05)
Hat 2 Da Back (radio edit) (4:05)
Creep (album version) (4:28)
Red Light Special (album version) (5:03)
Waterfalls (single edit) (4:18)
Diggin' On You (album version) (4:14)
No Scrubs (album version-dirty) (3:39)
Unpretty (album version) (4:38)

Edited by edtop40 on 03 August 2010 at 5:28pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 March 2017 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just obtained a variation of "Creep" on promo CD that I hadn't seen before. Here are the details:

LaFace Records (LFPCD-4096)
1. Album Version (listed & actual 4:05)
2. Jermaine's Jeep Mix (listed 3:45; actual 3:44)
3. Untouchables Mix (listed & actual 4:09)
4. Super Smooth Mix (listed 4:03; actual 4:02)
5. DARP Mix (listed 4:09; actual 4:08)
6. Untouchables Instrumental (listed 4:02; actual 4:01)

At first glance, this appears to be the same versions as the commercial maxi CD; however, the times and song lengths are all different. Track 1, the Album Version, is faded early. The other tracks might also be early fades, but I haven't checked them against the stock CD single to be sure. Almost all of the remixes on the stock CD run over 5 minutes, except for the DARP Mix, which is 4:50 on the stock.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version