Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: OutKast top 40 hits on CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 October 2005 at 3:31am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Upon searching the database, I noticed some corrections need to be made for OutKast's top 40 hits. I will share my notes & findings in the next few posts.

"Player's Ball" - the lead track of the 4-track CD single uses the "Radio Version-Clean" mix. I'm not sure if a two-track configuration was ever issued on this song or not. To my knowledge, the promo single also has the "Radio Version-Clean" mix. For now, I'll consider this to be the 45 version. Given this info, here's my corrections, which include additional CDs that are not listed in the database.

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik LaFace 26010 (LP version)
MTV The First 1000 Years - Hip-Hop Rhino 75975 (LP version)
Big Boi and Dre Present Outkast (Clean) LaFace 26094 (45 version)
Big Boi and Dre Present Outkast (Explicit) LaFace 26093 (LP version)
More Music From 8 Mile (Soundtrack) Interscope 450979 (LP version)
A LaFace Family Christmas LaFace 26011 (original version; not the hit version)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 3:43am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

"Elevators" - the promo single featured the Clean Version, which also ran about 20 seconds shorter than the explicit LP version. Without doing an A/B comparison, I believe this version is just an early fade, in addition to having censored lyrics. Also, going from memory, the CD and cassette singles of this song used the explicit LP version.

Big Boi and Dre Present Outkast (Clean) LaFace 26094 (Clean Version)
Big Boi and Dre Present Outkast (Explicit) LaFace 26093

I'll let Pat determine how he would like to label the comments for each song listing in the database; however, my vote would be to make a note next to the song title entry that reads (commercial copies feature the LP version with uncensored lyrics; dj copies contain the "Clean Version" which has censored lyrics and runs 20 seconds shorter)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 3:57am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

"Ms. Jackson" - the version Pat is calling the 45 version is really just the censored LP version with an early fade.

Big Boi and Dre Present Outkast (Clean) LaFace 26094 (45 length)
Big Boi and Dre Present Outkast (Explicit) LaFace 26093 (uncensored lyrics; 45 length)

For the other entries in the database, I would suggest changing the word "version" to "length."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 4:08am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

"So Fresh, So Clean" - in the US, a CD maxi was released that contains the Radio Mix. This mix is also found on the promo CD single. Although it is not noted in the database, the LP Stankonia (both clean and explicit) have the tail end of the previous track overlapping the first second of the song. The CD singles do not have this overlap, nor do the following additional entries:

Big Boi and Dre Present Outkast (Clean) LaFace 26094 (censored version)
Big Boi and Dre Present Outkast (Explicit) LaFace 26093 (uncensored version)

For the Stankonia entries, I would add the notation (segues into previous track).

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 4:21am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

"Hey Ya" - Pat notes LP version and either censored or uncensored lyrics. I have a few comments and questions about this one. First, I have both the clean and explicit versions of the full-length album, and I have never noticed a difference in the lyrics for "Hey Ya" on the clean cd. I'm pretty sure that the version is the same on both, since the song did not contain any objectionable profanities.

Second, I am wondering why he uses the word "version," since I didn't think a commercial single existed for this track. Wouldn't the LP version be the only one commercially available?

Third, I have heard a mix of this song that uses different reverb on the vocals than the LP version; however, this "Radio Mix" is not the one on my promo single. I have Arista 55883, which is a double CD single containing both "Hey Ya" and "The Way You Move." The version of "Hey Ya" on this promo release is exactly the same as the album version. Does anyone know where the "Radio Mix" with the different reverb comes from? (The only reason I am calling it "Radio Mix" is because it is labeled as such on a radio promo compilation where I found it.)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 4:30am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

"Rosa Parks" - although it didn't quite make the top 40 (peaking at 55 on the Billboard Hot 100), I'll include a little info about it, since it's considered one of OutKast's big hits (and it did go to #9 on the Rhythmic Top 40 chart). The lead track found on the promo single and 12" single is called the "Radio Version," which featured censored lyrics and faded 20 seconds earlier than the explicit LP version. (Note: On the full-length LP, the song has a skit at the end of the track, which causes it to run a minute longer.)

The important thing to note is that the mix featured on LaFace Platinum Collection is neither the LP version or the "Radio Version." This mix has an alternate intro, where the first vocals are clearly audible, as opposed to the low fade in on the other versions. I have never heard this mix on any other source.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 4:40am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

There were commercial jukebox 45s for The Way You Move, Hey Ya, and Roses. I own all of them, but I haven't A/B'd them yet, something I've been meaning to do for a while.

The 45s with their PRINTED running times are:

The Way You Move (Radio Mix 3:55) b/w Instrumental (3:55)
Hey Ya! (Radio Mix 4:09) b/w Instrumental (4:09)
Roses (Radio Mix 4:14) b/w Instrumental (4:43)

Though I've seen these white label jukebox 45s referred to as promos, they absolutely are NOT -- they are barcoded on the label, and I bought them at Virgin Megastore.

My promo CD singles for these songs all have (at least title-wise) the same Radio Mix and Instrumental versions for all three of them. I'll try to compare them Sunday night, or if not, Monday.

I have several other jukebox singles as well... Usher "Burn," U2 "Vertigo," a few others.

Edited by Brian W. on 16 October 2005 at 4:40am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat, I've been meaning to ask you... As you know, a number of CDs, notably in the rap and hip-hop genre, are issued in both an uncensored and censored form. If a clean version of a song appears on a commercial single release, do you consider it to be a distinct 45 version if the clean version also appears on the corresponding censored album release? Or is it your policy for the clean version to simply be classified more generally as "uncensored version" in these cases?

By the way, Aaron, nice job on your recent threads of Top 40 hits on CD by TLC, OutKast, and Usher!   
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my outkast singles are listed below

whitburns book lists the cassingle as 24060 incorrectly
cassingle laface 24066
player's ball      "radio version (clean)" (4:14)

there are 2 cd singles for this song one issued as 24061 and one issued as 24066.....24066 is the official billboard single version....and contains the "radio version (clean)"

"elevators" issued on laface 24177 contains the "album version" WITH a parental sticker on the front

"atliens" issued on laface 24196 contains the "album version" also with a parental sticker

ms. jackson i only have a promo cd single of issued as lfpcd-4487 with the "radio mix" (3:59) as the first track....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Todd! And I was wondering the same thing. By definition, Pat considers a "version"...and I quote..."...a difference in lyrics, vocal take, instrumentation, sound effects..." I can see how it would be a real disaster trying to classify the different versions, though. In sticking with the same methods you currently use, perhaps it could work like this:

- If LP version and 45 version are the same, both with uncensored lyrics, no comment would apply.

- If a clean LP is available, and the 45 version is exactly the same as the clean LP version, use the comment (45 version) for all cd appearances including the clean LP it is featured on.

- If a 45 version is an early fade of the clean LP version, such as the case with OutKast's "Ms. Jackson," label the 45 version as (45 version) and the clean LP version as (clean LP version). My reasoning for this is that both versions are distinguishable from the uncensored LP version--one in lyrics and the other in both lyrics and length. I would only use the term "45 length" if the 45 was an early fade of the uncensored (original) LP version.

What do you think about this?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdTop40, thanks for the info from your singles. I think I mentioned this in another thread, but the two CD singles issued for "Player's Ball" are actually two different songs (although they are almost identical). I'm not sure about the catalog numbers for each, but the first single released was actually "Player's Ball (On Christmas Day)" and is from the LaFace Family Christmas release. It has the lyrics "when the player's ball is happenin' on Christmas Day" instead of "when the player's ball is happenin' all day e'ry day." As you point out, the official Billboard single version is NOT the Christmas version.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2005 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Okay, I A/B'd the vinyl jukebox 45s with what's on the promo CD singles, and they are the versions they claim to be.

Roses (actual 4:13)
--The word "shit" is censored to an extended "shh" with no blank space
--The word "bitch" on the line "she's the reason for the word bitch" is overdubbed as "WITCH," with the background vocal following suit
--The word "bitch" is blanked out at 2:54
--The line "Pardon me, are you balling?" has been changed to "balding"
--The line following it has been changed to, "Darling, you sound like-like-like palsey"
--The word "bitch" is blanked out on the line, "Bitch, you ain't that fine, no way"

Hey Ya (actual 3:55) - Don't have the LP version, so I can't compare... but no censored lyrics, according to lyric sites on Internet, and no notation that it was remixed on the artwork.

The Way You Move (actual 3:54)
--The word "nigga" at 00:22 is blanked out
--The word "whore" at 1:25 on the term "man whore" is blanked out
--The term "camel toe" is blanked out on the line "skinny slim women got the camel toe within them"
--The word "hump" is blanked out on the next line

Edited by Brian W. on 18 October 2005 at 12:41am

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 October 2005 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

There is an edit on the clean cd version for "Hey Ya". At 2:00 the uncensored lyric goes "just want to just want to come" and the word "come" is edited out of the censored version. This song was available as a 12" single which I do not have so I cannot tell you which version is the "45 version". Brian you seem to have the vinyl jukebox 45 so which version is on your 45? And that is a good question that I have thought about for quite a while -- if a 45 is available as a jukebox only 45, does that qualify as being a "45 version"?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2005 at 3:17am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Interesting... No, on the vinyl jukebox 45, the one backed with the instrumental, the word "come" is in there... "Don't want to meet your mama, just want to make you come-a."

Yeah, I don't know about the jukebox 45s. They don't SAY they're "for jukeboxes only." And they do have bar codes on them, and are sold in some stores (like I said, I got mine at Virgin Megastore). But they're white-label 45s.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version