Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Addrisi Bros - Slow Dancin’ Don’t ... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 November 2007 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I'm listening to an amazing marathon on XM Satellite radio - they're playing every top 40 hit (and then some) from 1930 to 2007 in chronological order. I don't know if they played every top 40 hit of the '30s, but it seems like they're doing so for the '70s -- even including songs that were only released on vinyl (e.g. "Butter boy", "Old Fashioned Boy" and others).

Anyway, they played a version of "Slow Dancing Don't Turn Me On" that is not what's on CD. (Different mix.) I don't have the 45, just the LP. The sole CD appearance clocks in at 3:10. And if I recall, if you take the LP and fade to 3:10 you get what's on the CD.

We assume this is basically what's on 45 - the single length (although I believe the 45 is closer to 3:20). But maybe there was a single mix? Is there anyone who has the 45 who can compare it to the LP or the sole CD appearance? I suppose it's possible that XM used an alternate mix, but I don't think it's likely.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2007 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

The 45 had two versions.
Side one was the short version that appeared on the Buddah Box many years ago.
The B side was a long version (not sure of the exact time).

It was simliar to the single "More More More" which had a short A side and longer B side.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Anyone ever confirm if the US 45 actually runs 3:21 or 3:11? Also has the longer version that runs 5:30 ever appeared on an import CD? This longer version was the b-side of the commercial 45.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Santi, I have an acquired raw dub of the 45 on my hard
drive and it runs 3:11.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I'd love to have the album version (5:30) on CD, but as far as I know, it's never been released on CD anywhere.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 December 2019 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My stock 45 (Buddah Records, BDA 566) has a printed time of 3:12 but an actual time of 3:21 on the "short" side. The "long" side has a printed time of 5:35 and actual time of 5:30. The vinyl LP I have lists the time as 5:34 and actually runs 5:36. The final few seconds are barely audible over the vinyl noise.

As far as the mix goes, it's the same on all, just faded to different lengths. The 3:21 length is an early fade of the "long" version, and the "long" and LP versions are the same except for a few additional seconds on the quiet fade.

The version I have on my hard drive presumably comes from The Buddah Box, as it runs 3:11 like all database CDs do. This 3:11 version is simply faded 10 seconds sooner than my stock 45, but apparently some stock copies do actually play that length.

The promo 45 I have also lists the time as 3:12 on both the stereo and mono sides. The stereo side plays a length of 3:21.

Finally, there is a German compilation from 1995 that lists a printed time of 5:35 for "Slow Dancin'..." but there are currently no copies for sale. Here's the link: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Top-Hits-Of-The-70s/release/ 1732915

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jono
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2020 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote jono

[QUOTE=aaronk] My stock 45 (Buddah Records, BDA 566)
has a printed time of 3:12 but an actual time of 3:21 on
the "short" side. The "long" side has a printed time of
5:35 and actual time of 5:30.

For what it's worth, I'm getting the same run times as
Aaron on my stock copy of Buddah 566. Both sides.

Jon O.
Back to Top View jono's Profile Search for other posts by jono

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 February 2020 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

After reading the above, I ordered the "Top Hits of the 70's" German compilation CD to get the 5:35 version of "Slow Dancin' Don't Turn Me On", figuring chances are high that this was taken from vinyl or that the 5:35 listing was a typo (because that's the LP length) but it would actually contain the single length.

To my surprise, it is taken from master tape and it is the long (album) version. So, a double thank you to Aaron for pointing out this CD. And to think the long, album version has been on CD for 25 years! I cleaned the vinyl up about 15 years ago.

Ironically, there are other songs on this CD with significant dropouts, but the Addrisi Brothers track sounds just fine. Though the treble fades out over the last 3-5 seconds, I think this is due to the CD label using noise reduction at the end. I don't think it's an artifact of cleaning vinyl. And remember, in 1995, they didn't have the great vinyl cleaning softwares they have today.

Due to this find (and it being around for 25 years), I'm going to write a separate post to see if any of my other wants (mostly top 40) are on import CDs like this one is.

Edited by EdisonLite on 04 February 2020 at 7:21pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version