Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Paul Davis - Love Or Let Me Be Lonely Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 November 2007 at 2:25am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Paul Davis reached #40 with this song in Billboard, and the 45 has a unique section not on the album version (or any CD.) So I've been trying to digitally clean my 45 but it has a lot of record noise that can't be gotten out, and it gets noisier as the record continues on. Does anyone have a mint 45 that they could email a high-qual mp3 of (or send a WAV of, by pando or YouSendIt)? My friend offered to help me out, where we'd take the best parts of both 45s, and digitally edit, to get the best possible results.

Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2007 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

I too have been wishing this proper version would see the light of day on CD.

I do have the original single version on LP (K-Tel's Starlite) and it's a clean copy. I'll be happy to send an MP3, just tell me where to send it.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

This Paul Davis CD "Super Hits"

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Hits-Paul-Davis/dp/B001QCKJAC/re f=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255617288&sr=1-2

contains the Top 40 hit "Love Or Let Me Be Lonely", but the song is not in Pat's database. Does anyone have this CD? If so, can you determine if this is the single version, or can you send me an mp3 so I can determine it? It actually has a whole 3rd verse that's not on the album version at all!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

EdisonLite wrote:
It actually has a whole 3rd verse that's not on the album version at all!

So the 45 is longer than the LP version for this remake by Paul Davis?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

No, they're exactly the same length, which makes them hard to tell apart by looking at the labels (or the actual times). The 45 has the extra verse but takes out another section that would be in its place.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 March 2010 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

To Gordon:
I only have this song on one disc (Razor & Tie 82209 Sweet Life: His Greatest Hit Singles). It's probably the LP version (not sure what to listen for).

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 March 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

That's the album version.

Does anyone out their have his budget-line "Super Hits" CD? Pat, by any chance do you?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

With Pat's help, I was able to determine that the version of the top 40 hit "Love Or Let Me Be Lonely" on Paul Davis' "Super Hits" CD is indeed once again the album mix. Thus, the single mix is one that has never been on CD worldwide. Wounded Bird recently released all the Paul Davis albums on CD, many with bonus tracks, but unfortunately, the album with this song contained no bonus tracks. It would have been the perfect opportunity to release this rare mix. Who knows when there will be another opportunity for someone in the know to release the single version of this on CD? That's too bad they didn't know about this mix or request it.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Hey - great news! I'm happy to report that the single version of Paul Davis' top 40 hit "Love Or Let Me Be Lonely" is finally coming out on CD - but we have to wait over 3 months - until July 26th when Wounded Bird releases a "Best Of Paul Davis" CD. It's the same as the original 1982 LP (with all his pre-Arista stuff) PLUS 12 BONUS CUTS! The bonus cuts include the 3 Arista singles, and I've received confirmation that "Love Or Let Me Be Lonely" is the single mix - with the unique bridge that starts at 2:20 - which is not on the album version at all.

I'm somewhat surprised this version hasn't come out before now, for 2 reasons specifically: (1) Wounded Bird released many Paul Davis albums on CDs with bonus cuts, but his 1982 album "Cool Night" (with this song) had no bonus cuts on the CD (nor this version). (2) Razor & Tie released a Paul Davis CD "Sweet Life: His Greatest Hit Singles" which included this song, yet unlike the CD title, this wasn't the "hit single" version at all. It was the album version.

Plus, when I was working on Rhino's "Radio Daze" series, this would have been on a future volume. But the series was canceled before any 1982 stuff came out on it. It was like one mishap after another. But now it'll finally be out, at long last.

Edited by EdisonLite on 11 April 2011 at 6:09pm

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

Thanks for the great news EdisonLite. The single version is the one I
remember hearing on the radio back in '82. I'm glad to see we will
finally get it on CD.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I just received the "Best of Paul Davis" CD (It's now available on the Wounded Bird website, even though the amazon date is 3 months away!) and it's definitely got the single mix of "Love Or Let Me Be Lonely" with the unique 3rd verse vocal - the first CD ever to have the single mix. It also has the single version of "'65 Love Affair" (although that appears on other CDs as well) and it even lists "Cool Night" as the "single version". Does anyone know if that's different from the album version? It could simply mean that this version was pulled from the single master tape for this CD and not that it's a true single version different from the album version.

Edited by EdisonLite on 01 May 2011 at 1:18am

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks for the tip that the Best Of is available. I just ordered a copy.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

eriejwg wrote:
Thanks for the tip that the Best Of is
available. I just ordered a copy.
I purchased my CD
copy when it was released but I just noticed that just two
years after it's release this OOP disc is already selling
for over a hundred bucks on amazon. That sure was quick.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2013 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Those CDs on the Wounded Bird label shoot up to $100 almost as soon as they are out of print on the Wounded Bird website!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version