Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: CDs with songs mastered from vinyl Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 March 2009 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

And the album length version of "Shake It" (from master tape!) is also available on a Varese Sarabande CD - I believe one of the Dick Bartley CDs.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 March 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Citizen wrote:
A number of tracks on Rhino's Have a Nice Day series are from vinyl, including Ronnie McDowell's "The King is Gone," Starland Vocal Band's "Afternoon Delight," and all three of Gallery's hits ("So Nice to Be With You," "I Believe in Music," "Big City Miss Ruth Ann").

For anyone who has the various artist CD Gone But Not Forgotten (Risky Business 66394), does Ronnie McDowell's "The King Is Gone" sound like it was mastered from vinyl or from a tape source?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I've come up with an answer to my previous question... I recently purchased the Gone But Not Forgotten CD (which is now out-of-print, but copies can still readily be found online) and I'm happy to report that "The King Is Gone" sounds like it came from a tape source! (When listening at higher volumes though, there is some noticeable sibilance on the "s" sounds that make them come through a bit harsh in spots.)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 30 May 2009 at 5:03pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2009 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

On the various artist CD Best of Ace Records, Volume 1 (Rock N' Roll/Scotti Brothers 75266), the following Top 40 tracks by Jimmy Clanton are taken from very poor sounding vinyl dubs:

Venus in Blue Jeans
Just a Dream
My Own True Love

Incredibly, the CD's liner notes claim the following:

Each of the tracks in this compilation has been mastered from the best available original source. By going to each original master recording and by utilizing the best available modern technology, we have attempted to preserve the essence, quality and integrity of each of these historic recordings.

What a crock! Overall, this CD is a sonic disaster and is not to be confused with the high quality work of the Ace Records UK label.

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2009 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

RE: Best of Ace Records:

Comments are true, but it's always been my policy to not talk negatively about the Scotti Brothers.

: )
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

smvceo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote smvceo

aaronk wrote:
"Jump Around" by House Of Pain. I'm amazed at how many vinyl sources they used for this disc. You can plainly hear the turntable rumble and vinyl crackle right after the first note. On other CD copies, there is not any crackle or noise. There's even a couple of pops in the right channel on the very tail end of the fade out.

This is one of those hip-hop recording that has surface noise from vinyl dubbed into the original digital recording. It was that way on the original House of Pain CD. "Lose Yourself" by Eminem from the 8 Mile soundtrack is another.

Edited by smvceo on 01 June 2009 at 11:58am
Back to Top View smvceo's Profile Search for other posts by smvceo Visit smvceo's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 June 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

smvceo wrote:
This is one of those hip-hop recording that has surface noise from vinyl dubbed into the original digital recording. It was that way on the original House of Pain CD. "Lose Yourself" by Eminem from the 8 Mile soundtrack is another.

Yes, I realize that the original recording contains vinyl surface noise, as the sample was probably lifted from a scratchy record. What I'm referring to is additional surface noise and clicks/pops that are not in the original recording. If you listen carefully on good speakers or headphones, comparing the Rhino dub with another CD source, you will hear what I'm referring to.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Citizen
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 June 2009 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote Citizen

Citizen wrote:
A number of tracks on Rhino's Have a Nice Day series are from vinyl, including Ronnie McDowell's "The King is Gone," Starland Vocal Band's "Afternoon Delight," and all three of Gallery's hits ("So Nice to Be With You," "I Believe in Music," "Big City Miss Ruth Ann").

Also the Hudson Brothers' "Rendezvous."
Back to Top View Citizen's Profile Search for other posts by Citizen

anthology123
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote anthology123

Todd Ireland wrote:
On the various artist CD Best of Ace Records,
Volume 1
(Rock N' Roll/Scotti Brothers 75266), the following Top 40
tracks by Jimmy Clanton are taken from very poor sounding vinyl dubs:

Venus in Blue Jeans
Just a Dream
My Own True Love

Incredibly, the CD's liner notes claim the following:

Each of the tracks in this compilation has been mastered from the best
available original source. By going to each original master recording and
by utilizing the best available modern technology, we have attempted to
preserve the essence, quality and integrity of each of these historic
recordings.

What a crock! Overall, this CD is a sonic disaster and is not to be
confused with the high quality work of the Ace Records UK
label.

Don't believe I have ever heard a comp that had a good sounding version
of Venus in Blue Jeans.
On another note, isn't the 45 mono version of Magic Carpet Ride by
Steppenwolf on Dick Bartley's comp also a vinyl sourced track?
Back to Top View anthology123's Profile Search for other posts by anthology123

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

anthology123 wrote:
On another note, isn't the 45 mono version of Magic Carpet Ride by
Steppenwolf on Dick Bartley's comp also a vinyl sourced track?

Yes, because the 45 master tape is long gone. Also, "I Saw Her Again" by the Mamas & Papas on that same CD (On The Radio Vol. 1) would be a vinyl transfer as well, since there are no known surviving mono tapes for M&P.

On another front, there was a thread, I believe on the Hoffman board, where someone asserted that the mono CD appearances of Lovin' Spoonful songs were needledrops. These would be:
"Summer In The City": Varese Sarabande 302066148 25 All-Time Greatest Summer Songs
"Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind": Varese Sarabande 5803 Sunshine Days - Pop Classics Of The '60s Volume 3

"Summer In The City" sounds like a tape source on the Varese CD, but I haven't listened to it critically. It has been a long time since I have listened to the Sunshine Days CD so I can't remember if the other song sounded like a vinyl transfer or not.

Anyone else have any insight on these two CDs?

Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

Cary Mansfield might know the answer to all of these questions since he created these releases. My recollection of "I Saw Her Again" was that a tape was found, from another country off a compilation album master, so it wasn't close to a first generation tape, but at least it was tape.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

(Quoting Bill from the 2008 "Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride" thread: )

BillCahill wrote:
On I Saw Her Again, he pushed them to ADD bass because it was so thin. Interestingly, he told me I Saw Her Again was from a tape source. Although the original mono tape was thrown out with all the ABC Dunhill mono mixes in the early 70's, a tape was found overseas on I Saw Her Again as part of some compilation album, probably from the late 60's. Though it's probably a fifth generation removed from the master, at least it's a tape source. I think they've used that on the other mono issues of I Saw Her Again.

I remember reading in ICE magazine back when the On The Radio CD was released that a tape source had surprisingly turned up for the mono "I Saw Her Again" 45.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 22 June 2009 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like two versions of Shaun Cassidy's "Hey Deanie" may be from vinyl: Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - AM Nuggets and Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 24.

If you listen to the trail-off on the last note, you'll hear what I think may be turntable rumble.

If they are transfers from vinyl, they did a nice job with them.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 22 June 2009 at 9:09am
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I believe the only "Hey Deanie" from vinyl was when Varese Sarabande used the single edit on one of their CDs (maybe a "Then" CD, if I recall.) But as far as I know all the album versions are from CD. Certainly the one on Curb's "Shaun Cassidy's Greatest Hits" is from tape, and I believe the one on Rhino's "Have a Nice Day vol. 24" is as well.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My copy of Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits... has the intro of "One Night In Bangkok" from vinyl. I don't remember where it switches over. Are all CD copies of the "45 version" the same way---with the intro taken from vinyl?

As a side note, there is a great 2-CD import called 80s 12 Inch Special, made in Japan. It's the only CD I know of that has the 12" mix of "Bangkok," but unfortunately, they took it from vinyl.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The 80s 12 Inch Special CD set that I just referenced has the extended version of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World," but it sounds to me like it has been cleaned up from vinyl. The drum hits aren's as "crisp," like the de-clicking software "corrected" them.

Does the Rhino Top Dance Hits CD have a tape source for the extended mix? I'm skeptical, because other tracks on that series were cleaned up from vinyl, leaving the drums sounding a little "dull." My 2-CD set might have even used the Rhino disc as the source.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

aaronk wrote:
My copy of Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits... has the intro of "One Night In Bangkok" from vinyl. I don't remember where it switches over. Are all CD copies of the "45 version" the same way---with the intro taken from vinyl?

Wow! How did you ever notice this??

I listened very carefully to Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 14 and there are two tiny telltale signs that the intro is taken from vinyl: (1) the intro is just a teensy bit more hissy than the rest of the song, and (2) the intro is just a teensy bit slower than the rest of the song. I've had the CD for 15 years and I never noticed it.

The transition point is at 0:54, in the word "oriental". At that point, the slight hiss drops away, and the tempo speeds up from 108.4 BPM to 108.7 BPM.

It's the same on Time-Life's Modern Rock - 1984-1985, which is a different-EQ'd digital clone of the Rhino CD, and on Retro Lunchbox - Squeeze The Cheeze, which is digitally exactly 1.56 dB quieter than the Rhino CD.

I didn't notice any transition on The A-List, where it remains at 108.5 BPM throughout. I think the track may be taken entirely from vinyl on The A-List, and I'd guess that it's the same way on the early-'90s TM Century library discs.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

crapfromthepast wrote:
Wow! How did you ever notice this??

I pride myself on having a very keen ear for these things. Actually, I never noticed the speed difference, but I will check it out when I get home. I've known about this issue for years--since I bought the CD in the late '90s. I haven't listened to it in a while, but as I recall, I detected some turntable rumble and some very faint crackle during the quieter passages between drum beats.

I'm pretty sure that The A List CDs borrowed heavily from TM Century's GoldDiscs. At least, the noise reduction and songs that sound like vinyl are the same in many cases. Check out Dead Or Alive's "You Spin Me Round," as it sounds pretty bad on both TM's disc and, if my memory is correct, also The A List disc. In fact, I can send you a few to digitally compare. TM dubbed "Bangkok" straight from vinyl in its entirety.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

aaronk wrote:
I'm pretty sure that The A List CDs borrowed heavily from TM Century's GoldDiscs. At least, the noise reduction and songs that sound like vinyl are the same in many cases.

Aaron - This is what I've long suspected, but I don't have nearly enough TM Century discs to properly compare. In my experience with the A-List tracks, it seems that there aren't any digital clones anywhere in the entire 50-CD set, but virtually all the tracks are analog dubs of existing CD sources, whether it's available from a record company or from TM Century. They usually tidy up the EQ and the levels, much like TM Century, except they do it in the analog world.

I really like the set, and since they only made one batch of them in 1994 (no later updates or anything like that), they're pretty hard to come by nowadays.

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

All the early TM Century GoldDiscs are vinyl transfers. Many of them not so good sounding at that. "The King Is Gone" does sound like a vinyl transfer and a poor one. My 45 Promo single sounds much better and is less sibilant. "Hey Deanie" is also from a 45 source. Well done at that.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version