Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Janet Jackson’s "Again" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 May 2005 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

On the promo CD single of "Again", it lists version 1 as "single version". I compared this to the version on the album and couldn't hear any differences really. Certainly not mix differences. I noticed that the last string note fades out on the single whereas on the album it holds at a constant volume and bleeds into the next song (i.e. the string note also belongs as part of the next segment.) I wonder -- is this enough to warrant a "single version" notation, when the last note simply had to fade a bit so as not to go into the next song. I was also trying to figure out if an additional string note is included on the last note during the album version (as the note continues) and may be completely absent from the single. I couldn't tell because the single is already very soft by that point. What are people's opinion of the last note? Is there an extra string note as the chord continues? Either way, is there enough of a difference to merit a "single version" in the book (which is not listed that way, at least in the 9th ed.)?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2005 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

This is another good question and I can say that if I were 100% consistent I should have called this an LP version when it tracks into the next selection. Let's hear what other chat board members think.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2005 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I have to agree with you, Pat, especially for consistency sake. On the LP, the song does not fade. It, therefore, differs from the single (which fades) and should be noted as "LP version" (as the length is the same but the mix/sound differs during the last couple seconds.) You might want to explain the slight difference in the header under the song title.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2005 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

As far as I'm concerned, Janet Jackson's "Again" as it appears on the Janet CD really does nothing more than track into the next selection. It is not a terribly uncommon occurence for songs to segue into each other on a CD and therefore I believe things might get messy if we're going to try classifying such songs as distinct LP versions.

If Pat were to add a "tracks into the next selection" comment for "Again" on the Janet disc, I think this would suffice in implying that the song otherwise has its own distinct ending which in this case is a complete fadeout. On the other hand, if "Again" were to be listed with an "LP version" comment, it may mislead readers into thinking the single version is some sort of a different mix, edit, or length and they may go through the trouble of seeking a commercial single copy believing they're going to find something significantly different than what's on the album.

Again, to sum up, I think a "tracks into next selection" comment would work best here. I also like EdisonLite's suggestion to maybe briefly explain in the header under the song title that "commercial single copies fade out at 3:46".
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2005 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Having read Todd's response, I must say agree 100% with him. Good points. If you can essentially fade an album version to be the single -- whether it's a 15 second fade or a 1/2 second fade over a last note, then calling something an "LP version" wouldn't make sense. The "tracks into next selection" comment should be enough.

Also, I noticed in Pat's book that Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do" and "Do I Have to Say the Words" are both listed as "LP version" but I think they both should be listed as "LP length." Much like Janet Jackson's "Again", they fade out over a held string note on the single, taking the last second or so, and fading it to zero, whereas the song continues on in the album version. So these should be changed to "LP length". Again, these are more like one-second fades as opposed to your typical 10 or 15 second fades, but the singles are still fades and can be accomplished by fading the album version.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2021 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

So can anyone answer what the difference is between the LP, the Single version on the promo and the Piano/Vocal version on the same promo are? I think I am going crazy cause I don't hear anything drastically different!

Edited by PopArchivist on 02 May 2021 at 2:53pm

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2021 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

PopArchivist wrote:
So can anyone answer what the difference is between the LP, the Single version on the promo and the Piano/Vocal version on the same promo are? I think I am going crazy cause I don't hear anything drastically different!

As mentioned earlier, the Single Version is the same as the LP version from the janet. album, but the tail end of the final note is faded before it goes into the next song or interlude.

The Piano/Vocal version is a different mix, missing the strings track, so all of those sustained notes and flourishes are missing making for an emptier sounding arrangement.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version