Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Boy Krazy "That’s What Love Can Do" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 May 2005 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The commercial CD single of "That's What Love Can Do" lists "radio" version, but as far as I can tell, it's simply a case of the left and right channels being switched, and a little brightness added, EQ-wise. To me, these don't warrant a "45 version" listing, but I'm wondering, does anyone know if there's anything else different in the single version than these 2 things?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2005 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Question for Pat:

If a single differs from its album counterpart only in EQ (equalization), would this alone warrant "45 mix" and "LP mix" comments from you? Could you explain when you would use, say, the term "45 mix" as opposed to "45 version"?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2005 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Though I'm not Pat, I would like to give my 2 cents on this issue, Todd. Many CDs differ in equalization. Even this past year's Rhino CDs on Jackson Browne, Fleetwood Mac, Cher, etc. are much brighter than they are on older CDs or the 45s. But they wouldn't warrant any special mention because they are not mixed differently. It's the same mix, just re-EQ'd/mastered differently. So for different EQ's, I don't think terms like "45 mix" or "LP mix" would apply.

Edited by EdisonLite on 06 September 2019 at 12:00am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2005 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

EdisonLite wrote:
Though I'm not Pat, I would like to give me 2 cents on this issue, Todd. Many CDs differ in equalization. Even this past year's Rhino CDs on Jackson Browne, Fleetwood Mac, Cher, etc. are much brighter than they are on older CDs or the 45s. But they wouldn't warrant any special mention because they are not mixed differently. It's the same mix, just re-EQ'd/mastered differently. So for different EQ's, I don't think terms like "45 mix" or "LP mix" would apply.

Very good point, EdisonLite.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 May 2005 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

No, I don't feel "LP mix" should be used strictly based on a difference in equalization. I use LP mix to indicate that already existing instrumentation is either emphasized or reduced in volume compared to the 45 mix.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Does anyone have any promo single information regarding Boy Krazy's "That's What Love Can Do"? I distinctly remember hearing a radio edit on adult contemporary stations that eliminated most of the "chipmunk vocal" passage from 1:41-1:56. Any help here would be appreciated!

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, we received in two CD singles for this song back in 1993. The first was simply the commercial CD single with a punched hole on the UPC symbol. We played Cut 1 (the one that you describe as including the "chipmunk vocal") at our station for the duration of its successful chart run. The second one was actually a promo, and Cut 1 on this CD, called "Gigolo Radio", sounded far inferior to us than Cut 1 on the other CDS, so we passed on it and stayed with the other one. And although "Gigolo Radio" does omit your "chipmunk" passage, Todd, it is a substantially different mix, with almost all of the constant, funky keyboard passages removed; much more of a drum/percussion dance beat was used here. I highly doubt that this was the version you heard in '93. Instead, I'm betting the station you heard that version on just did a "custom chop" on that "chipmunk" part for airplay; it's only four measures long. Just in case it might still help, here are all the CD single details:

-Boy Krazy--"That's What Love Can Do" (857 025-2)
1-Radio (listed 3:20; actual 3:22)
2-Club (listed & actual 6:46)
3-Dub Mix (listed & actual 4:59)
4-(a different song, "One Thing Leads To Another")

-Boy Krazy--"That's What Love Can Do" (Remix) (CDP 891)
1-Gigolo Radio (listed 3:55; actual 3:49)
2-Mad Mad Club (listed 6:43; actual 6:35)
3-Gigolo Club (listed 6:34; actual 6:25)
4-Safe In The Hands Of Dub (listed & actual 4:38)

Edited by jimct on 06 December 2010 at 6:51pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

We played the "radio" version from the CD single. That's the version on the promo discs Hot Hits DJ Pop Vol. 5 (a digital clone of the CD single with a teeny amount of compression added), Hot Hits Pop Vol. 20 (digitally identical to the other Hot Hits disc), Spotlight On Hits Pop Vol. 11 (slightly thinner EQ than others), and Top Hits RH17 (slightly shortened fade that begins in the same place as the others).

The "chipmunk vocal" gimmick in the bridge was a hallmark of the Stock Aitken Waterman late '80s productions - see "This Time I Know It's For Real" and "The Locomotion", for starters. This was the last US chart entry for SAW, and who knows how long it sat in the can before it was released here. A favorite of mine from 1993.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, Jim and Ron. It sounds like the edit I remember hearing on AC stations must have been a custom one done in-house.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 06 December 2010 at 8:50pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

What hasn't been pointed out here (and I didn't realize this until a month ago when I bought the new reissue of the Boy Krazy CD) is that there were TWO DIFFERENT versions (mixes) of the album - the UK version and the US version. The UK version came out long before the US version and bombed there. So much time passed, that for the US version, most of (if not all of) the songs were remixed, giving it a funkier, more R&B vibe. Both mixes of "That's What Love Can Do" are included on this new reissued CD, released on Cherry Pop records. It's possible that what Jim describes as the "Gigolo Radio" mix is the original, UK version.

Edited by EdisonLite on 07 December 2010 at 10:13am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Interesting info, Gordon... I wonder how much (if any) radio airplay the "Gigolo Radio" mix got in the U.S.?

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 September 2019 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

EdisonLite wrote:
What hasn't been pointed out here (and I didn't realize this until a month ago when I bought the new reissue of the Boy Krazy CD) is that there were TWO DIFFERENT versions (mixes) of the album - the UK version and the US version. The UK version came out long before the US version and bombed there. So much time passed, that for the US version, most of (if not all of) the songs were remixed, giving it a funkier, more R&B vibe. Both mixes of "That's What Love Can Do" are included on this new reissued CD, released on Cherry Pop records. It's possible that what Jim describes as the "Gigolo Radio" mix is the original, UK version.

No one played the Gigolo Radio Mix. The U.S. mixes came out long after the song had peaked in the U.S. One has to wonder what was the point.

The original version was released in 1991 via PWL / Polydor and only in the U.K. Like almost all PWL 1991 releases from new acts, it bombed. Original fifth member Renee Veneziale left soon after, although she completed most of the Boy Krazy album.

In late 1991, HotTracks licensed the single for its inclusion on "NRG For The 90's Volume 8". Like most tracks appearing on their comps, it was re-edited (not remixed) in house, this time by Stephen L. Freeman.

It was this mix that started to get heavy club play. Supposedly, one radio DJ heard the song and brought it to his station... maybe somewhere in MN? The radio station and DJ are given thanks on the album's liner notes. From there, Next Plateau licensed the track from Polydor U.K. (both labels were PGD labels at the time), promoting the single at the end of 1992, with a commercial release on early 1993. The HotTracks mix is just a re-edit of the original 1991 production. The Gigolo and the Mad Man mixes were remixed by Tony King and Dave Ford.

After Boy Krazy's success in 1993, the single was released worldwide, utilizing the 1993 mix. It's the version that appears pretty much elsewhere, with the exception of the 2010. I guess PWL wanted more money, so why include the 1993 mix which features somebody else's mixing. The 1993 mixes do not appear on the 2010 reissue.

Edited by Loveland on 05 September 2019 at 8:43pm
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 September 2019 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

I was wondering what the story behind the 1991 mix I listened to was... thanks!
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 September 2019 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yes, that's a very interesting backstory as to how this became a hit.

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 September 2019 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

It was KQKS (aka KS-104) in Denver, Colorado; now called KS-107.5. Once Next Plateau Records picked it up, the HotTracks re-edit was edited down to a radio version (as well as a dub).

After "Good Times With Bad Boys" bombed (quite possible the worst song on the album), Johnna Lee Cummings left the group, and the remaining three girls forged on as a threesome and were ready to record an album, but ultimately the group collapsed.

And about Johnna Lee Cummings, well. I could say a lot of things, but... just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxAipty0ZEs
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

promojunkie
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 May 2021 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote promojunkie

The station I worked at back in 1993 used a unique mix
(at least I think it was only released on this disc)
from Hitmakers Vol. 79 (December 4, 1992) It clocked in
at 4:19 and I think was a hybrid of the club and radio
version.
Back to Top View promojunkie's Profile Search for other posts by promojunkie

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 May 2021 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

What's also interesting to note is that this unique Hitmakers version is taken from vinyl. I don't think the 4:19 version was pressed on vinyl; I believe the person who created this edit for Hitmakers took the Club Mix from the 12" single to use as the source for the edit.

Ah, BUT, the "Radio" version on the official London/Next Plateau CD single is also very obviously taken from vinyl and has heavy dynamic range compression applied. Cut 2 on the CD single, however, is clearly not from vinyl, yet it has problems of its own. The "Club" version here sounds like it has improper noise reduction applied (the Dolby type).

Lastly, I believe we might also have a 45 vs. LP difference to report. Early in the thread, Gordon pointed out that the "Radio" version is simply brighter and has the left and right channels swapped vs. the version on the full-length CD. I believe this to be incorrect, and I'm going to retrieve my Boy Krazy CD from storage to confirm. What I believe happened is that when it came time to release the CD in the US, someone knew that the "Radio" version didn't sound good and came from vinyl. The engineer then re-edited the longer version to match but made one goof on the intro. At the very least, the "Radio Mix" that is available digitally and is on the digital version of the Boy Krazy album has a slightly different intro and infinitely better sound quality. My theory is that this would technically be the "LP version" but I need to make sure it matches the 1993 full-length CD before I can say for sure.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 May 2021 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

OK, I can say for certain that my theory is not correct. I pulled the Boy Krazy full-length CD, and track 1 is the same "Radio" version but with the left and right channels swapped, as noted by Gordon in the first post of the thread. It's the same vinyl heavily compressed mastering as the CD single. I guess at some point in the digital era, a new "Radio Mix" was created that uses a non-vinyl source but has an editing difference in the intro. This re-edit can be found on digital versions of the full-length album as well as a 10-track digital single for "That's What Love Can Do."

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 May 2021 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Aaron, do you think this is a case where it really was taken from vinyl, or like so many other recordings from the past 20 years, they add vinyl sounds either throughout (or during sections of) the song, for aural effects? Mark M and I talk about this frequently. We hate when modern recordings add annoying noise that we then have to remove, like we do with old records!

Also, do you know if this mix is on the deluxe 2-CD Boy Krazy set that came out in more recent years?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 May 2021 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It is without question taken from vinyl. I think this probably explains why:

Loveland wrote:
In late 1991, HotTracks licensed the single for its inclusion on "NRG For The 90's Volume 8". Like most tracks appearing on their comps, it was re-edited (not remixed) in house, this time by Stephen L. Freeman.

If I had to guess, I'd say someone transferred the HotTracks vinyl copy and edited that version down to create the "Radio" version.

I reconstructed the "Radio" version, and I can confirm the "Radio" version (aka 45/LP version) can be edited together using the "Club" and "Dub Mix" that appear on the 1993 US CD single. Although I didn't attempt using the 1991 UK Extended Mix, a quick listen tells me that the basic mix is the same. Quite possibly the 1993 "Club" mix is just a re-arranged version of the 1991 UK Extended Mix, which would mean the latter could also be used to re-construct the 1993 "Radio" version.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version