Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Seals & Crofts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 July 2007 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

sealsncroftsguy wrote:
At the behest of 80smusicfreak...

"Behest" might be a bit too strong of a word here, lol, but yes, I personally e-mailed sealsncroftsguy to let him know about our recent postings here on S&C. I encouraged him to visit our little corner of the 'net, and to perhaps directly share some of his extensive knowledge of the duo. (Thanks for checking us out and coming aboard!) :-)

So, I guess one question remains unanswered (at least for me, anyway) about this new version of "Greatest Hits" that arrived in stores earlier this week: Okay, we now know it's the same collection w/ the same cover art & track listing, but is it at least remastered??? Or is it just the same lousy-sounding version w/ nothing but a new cardboard slipcover added (as EdisonLite bemoaned it might be)???

While I, too, certainly applaud Wounded Bird for stepping forward and re-issuing most of the S&C catalog on CD later this summer, I already own all of the duo's 1969-80 albums on original cassettes, and therefore don't really have any desire to fork over another $125+ just to get most or all of their hits on CD (top 40 or otherwise). And since sealsncroftsguy & EdisonLite have both investigated and let us know that no new one- or two-disc S&C collection is apparently in the works from Rhino/WB, even though this week's re-issue of "GH" is just a re-hash of the old version, if it's indeed remastered, I'd be willing to pick it up (especially since I've always resisted buying the old version, knowing it sounded inferior!). So any additional info appreciated here - thanks!
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite wrote:
Rhino also put out a Laura Branigan comp last month -- which is just the comp that's been out for 13 years. And she has some early Atlantic singles, never released on CD, that would have been a nice bonus for a new comp.

What I don't understand about Rhino re-re-reissuing the S&C and Branigan compilations is this: you figure that 99% of the fans of these 2 artists have already gotten around to buying these Greatest Hits CDs over the last 15-20 years -- So Rhino is reissuing the CDs to get the other 1% to buy them?!?!? Why not add 2 or 3 bonuses and re-sell to the 99% of the fans that already bought the CDs!??

I share your frustration on that last point, EdisonLite! I've also long-owned 1995's "The Best of Branigan" on both CD & cassette, and at just 13 tracks, always felt it was way too skimpy! I've been a long-time fan of Laura's (even have the elusive "Hold Me" album on CD), and was fortunate enough to see her perform twice before she left us way too early in August of 2004; the first time was in the late '80s, and then again in the late '90s. (I tried meeting her after that second show, but alas, she ducked away from us waiting fans that night!)

Here's some additional news that you may not be aware of, which only adds to our annoyance w/ Rhino: While the label apparently felt it was only necessary to re-hash the same "Best of Branigan" CD to us American fans in April, last July their U.K. division treated British fans to the excellent (and new!) 18-track "The Platinum Collection". Ironically, I only accidentally discovered that one three months ago, while browsing Amazon's LB listings trying to research the new version of "Best of Branigan". After reading the track listing, I immediately special-ordered "The Platinum Collection" through a local indie store, and had it within two or three days, and at a very reasonable midline price to boot! Trust me, this is by far the best LB hits CD to date - in fact, the only U.S. chart hit that it's missing is "Hold Me" (and those early non-LP singles you mention, which I do have promo 12" vinyl singles of). Be sure to pick this one up; label & no. is Rhino/Warner Platinum 8122-70851-2. So Rhino treats the Brits, but not us Yanks?!?

Oh, and after opening the new LB CD, it seems Rhino felt the need to advertise some additional titles in their U.K. "Warner Platinum" series on the back insert, including another new "Platinum Collection" for Chaka Khan, which also caught my attention - and I ultimately picked up as well...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I, too, have Laura's "Hold Me" album on CD and do know of that great "Platinum Collection" that recently came out. I just didn't get it because I had all the songs but it's the best compilation so far; I just wish they had included all or some of the rare early singles. So 80s music freak, do you have "Tell Him" and "A Fool's Affair" on 12"??

(Sorry - I know this S&C post is turning into an LB post, but this seemed like the more obvious place to respond to the above post.)

Edited by EdisonLite on 19 July 2007 at 12:49pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

I've got 45s of Fool's Affair, Looking Out For Number One (a stock copy) and Tell Him...
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite wrote:
So 80s music freak, do you have "Tell Him" and "A Fool's Affair" on 12"??

I know I have at least one, if not both of those titles; I found a stash of her early 12" vinyl singles at a used record store about 10 years ago, and knowing they weren't on any of her albums, I decided to buy 'em (again, never been a huge fan of vinyl, so I only collect select songs/artists in that format). Unfortunately, most of the vinyl that I've owned for 5+ years - including those LB 12"ers - is currently packed away, but I'll be sure to post a definitive answer here if I stumble across them in the near future...

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 July 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Being that "A Fool's Affair" is a slow ballad, I'd tend to think that's not what you have on 12". And if "Tell Him" IS definitely on 12", please let me know when you can, because I'd like to seek that out.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2007 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Looks like the Wounded Bird label has nine Seals & Crofts CD reissues officially scheduled to hit retail on September 18! I'm particularly excited to pick up the duo's One on One movie soundtrack CD, which will finally add their elusive Top 40 hit "My Fair Share" to my digital library!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

smvceo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 5:38am | IP Logged Quote smvceo

There's a DRAMATIC difference in pitch between the LP and 45 issues of "My Fair Share." The LP is MUCH slower than the 45, at least 2 semitones lower. Hopefully, if Rhino releases "My Fair Share," they master it at the 45's pitch. The 45 is NOT edited, though.
Back to Top View smvceo's Profile Search for other posts by smvceo Visit smvceo's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

smvceo:

I believe Wounded Bird uses LP master tapes for all their CD reissues, so it looks like we'll probably get "My Fair Share" at the slower LP speed. For anyone with the benefit of digital audio editing software, I would assume the song's pitch can be easily adjusted to match the 45 speed. (How did I ever get through life before buying Adobe Audition?) :-)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2007 at 1:20am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

My 45 of "My Fair Share" times out to exactly 2:42:18 seconds.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2017 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

BTW, Wounded Bird has a double CD set scheduled for release on May 2nd titled The Singles A's & B's - 1970-1976. It has a total of 31 tracks. None of the singles released between 1977-1980, but still a nice collection. Time will tell if they actually get all of the single edits right.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2017 at 3:14am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

That title sounds suspiciously similar to the one Real
Gone used for their recent Rascals' "Complete Singles A's
and B's".

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Just as a follow up to the recent double disc Wounded Bird release wanted to let everyone know they used the same incorrect edit for "Diamond Girl" that has appeared on many CDs before. They also included the LP version of "I'll Play For You." Another missed opportunity.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version