Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: O/T: Fleetwood Mac - Sisters Of The Moon Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 March 2023 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'm trying to decipher the differences between three allegedly different versions of this song that only made it to #86 on the Billboard Hot 100.

My biggest concern is the promo version, which is listed as a remix / edit. I'm not hearing the "remix" part; it sounds the way I'm used to hearing it (although to be fair the ending, such as it is, sounds like they might have punched out the instruments to get as "clean" an end as they did... it doesn't sound like they actually cut the tape or faded it down, but like the instruments stopped playing... which doesn't happen on the album version).

If that's what makes it a "remix," does anybody know if this version has ever made it to CD?

I'm also curious about the different between the LP version and the commercial single version. Labels list everything from 4:37 to 4:44 which is not an unusual spread for different releases of the same song. I have one labeled "LP version" in my collection and another labeled "45 version" in my collection but of the two, the 45 version is longer!

Was that true on the vinyl? Was the single a remix, too?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

kaqueno
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2023 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote kaqueno

According to what I know of this song, the single
version, the 45 and the remix were released on some cds,
here is the list:

- 25 Years The Chain (1992) (LP Version) 4:37
- The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac (2004) (45 Version) 4:41
- Tusk (remaster 2015) (Remix) 4:43
- Tusk (Deluxe Edition 2004) (Single Version) 4:40

As far as I know the remix/edit (4:14) has not been
released on any cd,Does anyone have more information on
this?

I hope this information helps.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2023 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Gene,

I don't have the promo 45 itself, but as far as the question of whether the commercial single version was actually a remix compared to the LP Version: I would have to say yes.

I pulled out my 2-CD Tusk reissue from 2004, which contains the LP Version (obviously) and the commercial Single Version. Here, the actual runtime of the LP Version is 4:41.203 after
removing leading and trailing silence, and the Single Version is 4:39.878 after doing the same. While there could be a mild speed difference, some of the differences in runtime is due to
the LP Version containing an extra stray guitar note at the beginning of the track that does not appear on the single.

There are audible mix differences between the LP Version and the Single Version, most notably, the lead vocal on the LP mix is very dry, while there is a slight but audible reverb on the
lead vocal on the 45 mix. There are probably other subtle mix differences, but the biggest one that pops out at me is that the snare drum seems to be mixed more quietly on the 45, with a
lot less "attack", or either the lead vocal is mixed a bit louder and therefore obscures the snare that is very present on the LP mix.

If the commercial single version is the "single version" that I am listening to on this release, then it, too, has the cold ending as on the promo 45, while the LP mix fades. My guess is
that you could make a simple edit or two to the commercial 45 to get the promo 45, but I haven't tried it.

Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2023 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Update: Confirmed that the short promo edit can be made from the longer commercial 45 version. I had a vinyl rip of the promo in my library after
all, and there's also a quite good Youtube spin here.

Starting with the Single Version from the 2004 Tusk reissue I noted above (there has since been an even greater-expanded super deluxe edition),
there are 4-5 edits, depending on how you want to tackle the slight fade-in. All the edits are within the intro of the song (before the first verse):

1. Delete the first 10.267 seconds of the file, with your selection ending on the downbeat just before Lindsey does a little 2-note down-step guitar
noodle.
2. From the resultant file, delete 6.708 seconds from the downbeat at 8.895 to a downbeat at 15.603. (Yes, it's 13 beats, and it will not
sound correct to your sense of rhythm when you're creating the edit, but it makes sense in the finished product.)
3. From the resultant file, delete the 16 beats from 21.277 to 29.550. This one takes a little finesse (to avoid a bit of a "pop" due to the
hi-hat that's coming out of the mix right at your left edit point) but I'm hoping my transcribed times will help. This edit, to my ears, creates sort
of false keyboard chord sound once the edit is made, although it's really the end of a guitar phrase. When you make the edit, you want to keep as
much of the attack on that guitar chord (your "right" edit point) as you can while still keeping the rhythm.

So, those are your main edits, but as it turns out, the 45 has a quick fade-up that I didn't notice when I was doing this in real-time, so you get
this "first" (in the flow of the song) edit last. Sorry!:
4. From the resultant file, delete from 0.000 to 0.152.
5. From the resultant file, create a quick fade-up from 0.000 to about 0.165. The audio should reach full volume with the guitar note at about

Thanks for the project! I hadn't done this in a while, and that was fun. Great song.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2023 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Y'all are awesome; thank you so much!!! This was exactly what I needed.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2023 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

kaqueno wrote:
According to what I know of this song, the single
version, the 45 and the remix were released on some cds,
here is the list:

- 25 Years The Chain (1992) (LP Version) 4:37
- The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac (2004) (45 Version) 4:41
- Tusk (remaster 2015) (Remix) 4:43
- Tusk (Deluxe Edition 2004) (Single Version) 4:40

As far as I know the remix/edit (4:14) has not been
released on any cd,Does anyone have more information on
this?

I hope this information helps.

I believe the version on the 25 Years - The Chain boxed set is the 45 remix faded at the end.

Lots of weird alternate versions (and unreliable notations) on that collection.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version